AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JL Audio

JL Audio Ahead of the Curve

Old 03-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
Often I have wondered what it would be like to have automated, room correction features on my sub or pre-amp. I had a REL Stentour which has manual adjustments. Looking back I bet it took me a year to perfect my setup with the REL and Electa-Amaters. During this journey I learned a lot about setup. I think 80hz is way too high for 2 channel high performance systems. Richard E Lord advertised his subs as sub-bass not sub woofers. The idea being to feel not hear muddy bass and that proper set-up would enhance soundstage and detail.
Stentor and Electa Amators would have been in the A range.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

If my memory serves me well, the Stentour's manual had a chart which denoted c/o freq for the alpha/numeric settings.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
If my memory serves me well, the Stentour's manual had a chart which denoted c/o freq for the alpha/numeric settings.
You are correct. However since knowing those numbers tends to prejudice the user, I tend to suggest the user ignore them. In room crossover is typically set at 1/2 an octave to a octave below the mains roll off. With the speakers typically used with a Stentor, that equates to the A range (22Hz-30Hz).

Using the hi level and any crossover setting in the C or D range will get you cut off as a REL dealer. The C range on a Stentor III begins at 46Hz.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Merry Christmas to all

After I placed the original post in this thread I went back for some more listening with my main system. I played Joanne Shaw Taylor - White Sugar, "Time Has Gone" with the MC501 meters bounce 500+ watts per channel. It was absolutely thrilling how clean and articulate the bass rhythm notes were. There is no problem hearing authoritative deep bass and feeling it as well, without a hint of upper bass exaggeration, bloat, or room compression. Dialing back the crossover point to 38Hz has delivered an awesome tweak to my system without having spent a single penny. That's what I call fantastic! This single change has produced an instant and remarkable performance boost for my main system.

BTW, Joanne Shaw Taylor - White Sugar compact disc delivers some serious blues guitar and singing. She can lay down some blistering blues licks on her Fender. Pick this CD up if you like blues done right. If you can keep the volume down on the track "Time Has Come", see your doctor, there's something wrong with you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-04-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
You are correct. However since knowing those numbers tends to prejudice the user, I tend to suggest the user ignore them. In room crossover is typically set at 1/2 an octave to a octave below the mains roll off. With the speakers typically used with a Stentor, that equates to the A range (22Hz-30Hz).

Using the hi level and any crossover setting in the C or D range will get you cut off as a REL dealer. The C range on a Stentor III begins at 46Hz.
I''ve known people using Electa/A's without a sub and achieved satisfying bass. That said, speaker placement was 2 or 3 feet from the wall. My room is large 14 by 31 and my setup is in the middle of the room, speaker to listening position is an 8ft triangle. So the speakers are about 10 or 12 ft from the rear wall. 32 to 38hz worked pretty well under these conditions.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
I''ve known people using Electa/A's without a sub and achieved satisfying bass. That said, speaker placement was 2 or 3 feet from the wall. My room is large 14 by 31 and my setup is in the middle of the room, speaker to listening position is an 8ft triangle. So the speakers are about 10 or 12 ft from the rear wall. 32 to 38hz worked pretty well under these conditions.
Could see how you got there. Toe in on the speakers? The vintage of Stentor you had would have an effect too. Original, II, or III?

Studio 1 at Sumiko is bigger than your room and E/As were always very far into the room and certainly wider than in your room. Never saw the B range there with a Stentor III.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:18 PM

Dan
Thanks for following up on Bill's visit to Ivan's and taking the time to adjust your sub. Your results along with Ivan's gives me hope that a sub can be integrated into a 2- channel system without making it sound like at Home Theater. I have gone thru several subs and never was happy with the results. I may have to get that Fathom back from my nephew and try it again in my system.

Jim

Last edited by Still-One; 03-20-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Dan
Thanks for following up on Bill's visit to Ivan's and taking the time to adjust your sub. Your results along with Ivan's gives me hope that a sub can be integrated into a 20 channel system without making it sound like at Home Theater. I have gone thru several subs and never was happy with the results. I may have to get that Fathom back from my nephew and try it again in my system.

Jim

Jim, the key is to let the sub do what it was designed to do, not slobber all over the mains. It's all about the foundation. If you can play something like Cowgirl in the Sand from Neil Young's Live at Massey Hall and be stunned by the space and dimension in the hall, in Young's guitar and his voice without hearing any inkling there is a sub, you'll know you've got it right. It's downright magic when that happens.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Dan
Thanks for following up on Bill's visit to Ivan's and taking the time to adjust your sub. Your results along with Ivan's gives me hope that a sub can be integrated into a 20 channel system without making it sound like at Home Theater. I have gone thru several subs and never was happy with the results. I may have to get that Fathom back from my nephew and try it again in my system.
Jim.......You probably should get that Fathom back and give it a second chance, especially since you have installed the acoustic panels. Integrated properly, the subwoofer might just surprise you with a deeper presentation and a better sound stage. Go get it, and give it a try. You can always give it back to your nephew if you find the subwoofer doesn't inspire you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Could see how you got there. Toe in on the speakers? The vintage of Stentor you had would have an effect too. Original, II, or III?

Studio 1 at Sumiko is bigger than your room and E/As were always very far into the room and certainly wider than in your room. Never saw the B range there with a Stentor III.
I had the originals with the silk dome tweeter, walnut and iron stands. Yes I had some toe-in, messed arround with that and height too.
Also my Stentor was the original in rosenut.

Last edited by tdelahanty; 03-20-2011 at 08:56 PM.