AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-21-2019, 10:53 AM

Default MC462?Or save some $ and go MC452?

Greetings fellow enthusiasts!

I am new to the forum and fairly new to Mcintosh.Always admired their equipment and have been upgrading my system lately.Long overdue.

Given that I have spent a fair bit of cash lately,I am wondering about compromising on this amp but don't want too make any more choices I will regret(done my share of that!)

I am currently using an MC6600 integrated and while I enjoy the sound very much,it just isn't enough power to allow my Martin Logan Impressions to fill the listening space.My room is very big...too big,actually, and not super acoustically friendly so just doing the best I can with it.

I have recently picked up a C1100 pre-amp and a MP1100 phono pre-amp.

For those that are more familiar with the 462 and 452...is the increase in dynamic headroom worth the extra cost?

I look forward to hearing any and all feedback.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:12 AM

The MC452 is not a compromise in any way, shape or form. It is a solid, great performing, amplifier that punches well above its weight. The additional headroom would not be a significant factor for me if I were making the purchase decision.

Many MC452 owners wouldn't even consider selling theirs. I think you would be very happy with one.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:10 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
The MC452 is not a compromise in any way, shape or form. It is a solid, great performing, amplifier that punches well above its weight. The additional headroom would not be a significant factor for me if I were making the purchase decision.

Many MC452 owners wouldn't even consider selling theirs. I think you would be very happy with one.
Michael.......I couldn't agree more. My McIntosh MC452 in the living room system isn't going anywhere. Love it.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-21-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:18 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel Heslop View Post
Greetings fellow enthusiasts!
Muriel Heslop.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-21-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I am currently using an MC6600 integrated and while I enjoy the sound very much,it just isn't enough power to allow my Martin Logan Impressions to fill the listening space.My room is very big...too big,actually, and not super acoustically friendly so just doing the best I can with it.

I have recently picked up a C1100 pre-amp and a MP1100 phono pre-amp.

For those that are more familiar with the 462 and 452...is the increase in dynamic headroom worth the extra cost?
I would choose McIntosh MC611 mono power amplifiers instead of MC452 or MC462, if you have a big room. MC452 and MC462 are really great stereo power amplifiers. MC611 should work even better in a big room.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:16 PM

There’s a difference between changing out what you have for something new versus choosing between the new model and the previous as first purchase. It is a different cost versus benefit equation that rarely favors the upgrade until several years and iterations have come and gone. I found the difference in price between the 462 and close out (in the box new) 452 not sufficient to pass on the newest flavor.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:07 PM

I would suggest having a listen at a dealer that has both if you are able - it all comes down to what ‘extra’ you are getting/hearing for the additional dollars. Sometimes this is obvious and other times not...

Resale of the newer model will also be higher if you are thinking you might trade up in a few years time offsetting some of the additional dollars now. I had a similar decision to make with the MC1.2 amps v newer MC1.25 amps and decided to go with the MC1.2’s given their reputation and MUCH lower price at the time.

I also own the MC452 and it is a fantastic stereo amp and I would have trouble parting with it!

Enjoy the journey and whatever you decide, don’t look back and regret the decision you make now...
Old 04-21-2019, 08:07 PM

I definitely agree you should try to have a listen to the combinations. I have the MC452 and the 11As. The extra headroom of the MC462 or the mono blocks could come in handy especially with difficult loads with elctrostats. Big orchestral pieces at high volume in particular.

If you are open to it I would also demo other brands of amps to compare. The C1100 is an awesome pre. FWIW, I recently spent some time listening to the Diablo 300 integrated with the 11As and was blown away at the clarity.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:02 AM

Thanks for the welcome and for all your helpful replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xv21 View Post
I would choose McIntosh MC611 mono power amplifiers instead of MC452 or MC462, if you have a big room. MC452 and MC462 are really great stereo power amplifiers. MC611 should work even better in a big room.
Interesting...I did consider going the mono block route but thought it might be a wee bit of overkill for my speakers?Perhaps I should reconsider.

Decisions,decisions!!
Old 04-22-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome and for all your helpful replies!

Interesting...I did consider going the mono block route but thought it might be a wee bit of overkill for my speakers?Perhaps I should reconsider.

Decisions,decisions!!
I had 601's with a pair of the ML Ethos and worked wonderful together. If you consider going used ... a pair of 601's are pretty affordable right now and plus if you sell them later to go bigger or newer then you won't lose much.

George