AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Events & Demos

Events & Demos Manufacturer & Dealer Sponsored Events

Old 02-16-2019, 11:32 PM

Default Florida Audio Show

So I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the 1st Florida Audio Show in Tampa and I have to say me and my son had a great time. We went on Saturday and spent the entire day at the show listening to a lot of gear I've never had the chance to hear before and catch up with some good friends from when I used to work in the industry decades ago. That said ... off to the show!

Starting with the room for me that was by far best of show on either end of the room. VSA speakers with VAC Statement electronics on one end and VSA with the 200iq monoblocks on the other. Got to listen to the system with both vinyl and digital via the Esoteric Grandioso K1 as well as the complete Grandioso Stack. The full stack had wonderful synergy with the VAC equipment ... maybe one of the best sounding systems I've ever heard.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:34 PM

Next to the Martin Logan Room with Parasound electronics. The speakers were certainly in a big enough room but still just didn't sound all that great to me. I'm guessing to really make these babies sing you might need a very special setup ... one which has eluded me so far at any demo's I've encountered. Here's to hoping ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CeuILt6ORXqt1zNomtntlw.jpg (825.8 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-16-2019, 11:35 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
So I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the 1st Florida Audio Show in Tampa and I have to say me and my son had a great time. We went on Saturday and spent the entire day at the show listening to a lot of gear I've never had the chance to hear before and catch up with some good friends from when I used to work in the industry decades ago. That said ... off to the show!

Starting with the room for me that was by far best of show on either end of the room. VSA speakers with VAC Statement electronics on one end and VSA with the 200iq monoblocks on the other. Got to listen to the system with both vinyl and digital via the Esoteric Grandioso K1 as well as the complete Grandioso Stack. The full stack had wonderful synergy with the VAC equipment ... maybe one of the best sounding systems I've ever heard.
We spent some time in the Von Schweikart room at RMAF this past fall, we also thought it was well put together and the best sound at the show. They had a higher dollar system there as well, and with the retail cost, it should have been one of if not the best at the show. If I remember correctly, the value of that system was almost $ 1.1 million.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 02-16-2019, 11:42 PM

The next several rooms didn't really standout one way or the other ... good or bad. Considering the price of some of the equipment I was surprised. Most surprising was the sound of the MBL system ... I found it kind of thin and not at all as enveloping as I've heard it described as.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:45 PM

The Hegel room sounded like it would really rock n roll given the music and willingness to drive it. Would have loved to hear the big amps with a little better speaker setup not that the dynaudio's didn't rock!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57142073850__CAE2704D-CFFD-4705-8658-4F370CE437A3.jpg (850.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-16-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
We spent some time in the Von Schweikart room at RMAF this past fall, we also thought it was well put together and the best sound at the show. They had a higher dollar system there as well, and with the retail cost, it should have been one of if not the best at the show. If I remember correctly, the value of that system was almost $ 1.1 million.

- Buck
Yeah ... after hearing the VAC Statement equipment I was very excited about the sound so I looked online to see how expensive it was ... once I realized that the Statement Preamp by itself was more expensive than all of my Mark Levinson gear combined I got a little less excited! LOL

George
Old 02-16-2019, 11:56 PM

A few more rooms that were average at best. Especially disappointing for me was the sound of the Legacy speakers. This was the second time hearing them in a show setting and both times there just isn't any continuity between the tweeter and the rest of the system. I have some friends that really love them so maybe I'm just not hearing them setup well. Also, the Paradigm speakers showed some real potential but at the show had a tad bit of harshness in the upper mids ... wondering if it was the electronics?

Last edited by gadawg; 02-17-2019 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:07 AM

The Volti Audio speakers were one of the biggest surprises of the show for me ... I don't normally like any horn loaded speakers and this room was very small but I'll be darned if they didn't sound very warm and seductive with the tube amp driving them. Nicely done for sure! The DSA room had some of the clearest and most open sound of the show primarily playing analog via the VPI Avenger Reference. The DSA electronics sounded nice. I had also never heard any Nola speakers before and these little gems were very nice!
Old 02-17-2019, 12:12 AM

A few more rooms that really didn't keep my interest very long ...
Old 02-17-2019, 12:16 AM

The little Vanatoo's sounded amazing for under $600 per pair for either pair. If you're looking for something small and very affordable but that still plays music ... these are it. Add a cheap little sub and you have a rocking little speaker system for not a lot of $$$. My son was especially interested in these because these sounded very nice and he could afford them! We need more of this to get the younger crowd interested I believe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57142416670__6BE3A907-FC8A-40A8-AFAD-D8360857D645.jpg (846.1 KB, 51 views)