AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wyred 4 Sound

Wyred 4 Sound Rediscover Your Music

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-25-2016, 11:36 AM
tutomac's Avatar
tutomac tutomac is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,081
Default

Randy, since you are using the iFi product, did you look at and consider their iPurifier? It is designed to do the same, is super discreet, and costs even less.
They now have a second follow up model that's supposed to be even better, the iPurifier2.
I am using the original iPurifier, and was thinking of upgrading to the iPurifier2, but you guys have made me consider the Recovery.
Like I said somewhere in this forum, these devices will not break the bank and it is not impossible to try them all, but it is also true you keep adding $5 here and $10 there and, well you know...
__________________
HECTOR
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-25-2016, 12:14 PM
Randy Myers Randy Myers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Nipomo, CA
Posts: 2,142
Default

Actually no I did not. The iPower is my first iFi product. I only purchased this because it looked like an improved power supply, although the one that W4S provides works just fine.

The Recovery was my first and only choice because I am very familiar with Wyred 4 Sound and the quality of their products. I live near their factory and know their staff personally. I consider EJ a genius in the audio design world.

I also prefer to buy American made when possible over products made in China. Another thing I prefer is a full 5 year warranty versus a 1 year warranty.

Last edited by Randy Myers; 03-25-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-25-2016, 01:03 PM
scirica's Avatar
scirica scirica is offline
Evolving Audiophile


 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: DFW Metroplex
Posts: 3,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Steve.......You may find this article by John Darko an interesting read.

Fighting Fit USB Audio From The Wyred4Sound Recovery | DAR__KO
Just read through the Darko article. He is certainly a fan of both the Regen and Recovery, and it is so close that I believe I'm probably good where I am with the Regen. I do have the Curious USB cable that he referenced in his article and I can attest to the quality of that cable. I bought the small Regen Link add'l cable to go from the DAC to Regen, then a longer cable for the run to the server.

I'm currently running without the Regen to a Bryston BDA-3. I may put it back in the mix soon for a comparison, and I'm also guessing Darko is correct in that some DAC's benefit more than others from these devices.
__________________
Analog: VPI Classic Direct (12" Fatboy) with Ortofon A95 cartridge; Ortofon ST-80SE Transformer; McIntosh C2500.
Digital: SilenZio Gen 3 High Performance Media Server; Esoteric K-03X.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds; Paradigm Studio Sub 15.
Cabling: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR; Wireworld Silver Electra Power Cords; Wireworld Silver and Gold Eclipse RCA's, Audioquest Aspen Speaker Cables.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-25-2016, 02:13 PM
jdandy's Avatar
jdandy jdandy is offline
Merry Christmas to all



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 53,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Just read through the Darko article. He is certainly a fan of both the Regen and Recovery, and it is so close that I believe I'm probably good where I am with the Regen. I do have the Curious USB cable that he referenced in his article and I can attest to the quality of that cable. I bought the small Regen Link add'l cable to go from the DAC to Regen, then a longer cable for the run to the server.

I'm currently running without the Regen to a Bryston BDA-3. I may put it back in the mix soon for a comparison, and I'm also guessing Darko is correct in that some DAC's benefit more than others from these devices.
Steve.......I thought you would come to that conclusion. I also believe the end results will be tailored by the system and DAC in use. At this point I can only speak of my personal experience with the Recovery in the office headphone rig with the Wyred 4 Sound DAC, and the Recovery in the studio system with the Esoteric K-03 DAC. In both instances I heard improvements that I liked. The Recovery remains in the studio system.
__________________
Dan



STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-25-2016, 02:47 PM
jdandy's Avatar
jdandy jdandy is offline
Merry Christmas to all



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 53,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
As a representative of the technology impaired, I have to ask: wouldn't an asynchronous DAC obviate the need (or usefulness) of this device?
Randy.......That's a good question. Asynchronous is the most advanced USB data transmission method for music playback. It employs a feedback loop so that the amount of data in the frame can be controlled. Asynchronous USB uses a clock near the DAC that allows it to drive the DAC directly, effectively ignoring the typically unstable clock in a computer. Despite an asynchronous connection, timing errors remain present at the DAC's clock and even though the data in the frame rate is better controlled it is still not perfect. By more accurately timing the data before it arrives at a DAC's clock, pre-conditioning the USB signal is how W4S refers to it, even with the asynchronous transmission the DAC and it's clock have a simpler task of converting the digital voltage variations to a clean analog signal. At least that is my understanding. I am not a computer science engineer so there may be plenty of room for improvement to my explanation. Anyone who wishes, please feel free to grab the baton and carry it to the finish line.
__________________
Dan



STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 03-25-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-25-2016, 10:04 PM
chops-tube chops-tube is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,416
Default

Dan... If I recall correctly, you need two more Recovery units.

I'm not usually one for system tweaks that you have to pay for, typically because a lot of them are hyped up snake oil, people attempting to justify their spent money.

Reading so much good stuff about the Regen and the Recovery, not knowing UpTown Audio at all and knowing Wyred 4 Sound very well, I decided to give the Recovery a try. I was immediately amazed at the instant improvement within minutes of installing it in my system. Upgrading the stock 6" USB was a no-brainer for me. For the same reason Dan wanted to upgrade this cable, to match the USB going into the Recovery. Makes sense to me.

To me, in my system, upgrading that USB cable did the same thing for the sound as the Recovery itself did, just on a much smaller scale. Upgrading the stock power supply to the iFi iPower again did the same, but on a smaller scale. Both a worthy upgrade for the Recovery, and went added together, make a nice improvement over the base Recovery.

Since my system is constantly running 24/7, I estimate I have well over 700 hours on this little device. If there's any improvements to be had up to the 200 hour point, then I already have them. Same goes for the short WW USB cable and iPower for that matter.

The Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB Reclocker is a great buy, even at the full retail price of $250. Upgrading the cable and PS for a few more bucks still makes it a great buy, especially considering the amount of improvement those two extra pieces make. And now, Dan is living proof that this little guy works wonders even on a $22k DAC! Hyped up snake oil?... I think not.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-25-2016, 10:44 PM
jdandy's Avatar
jdandy jdandy is offline
Merry Christmas to all



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 53,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops-tube View Post
Dan... If I recall correctly, you need two more Recovery units.

I'm not usually one for system tweaks that you have to pay for, typically because a lot of them are hyped up snake oil, people attempting to justify their spent money.

Reading so much good stuff about the Regen and the Recovery, not knowing UpTown Audio at all and knowing Wyred 4 Sound very well, I decided to give the Recovery a try. I was immediately amazed at the instant improvement within minutes of installing it in my system. Upgrading the stock 6" USB was a no-brainer for me. For the same reason Dan wanted to upgrade this cable, to match the USB going into the Recovery. Makes sense to me.

To me, in my system, upgrading that USB cable did the same thing for the sound as the Recovery itself did, just on a much smaller scale. Upgrading the stock power supply to the iFi iPower again did the same, but on a smaller scale. Both a worthy upgrade for the Recovery, and went added together, make a nice improvement over the base Recovery.

Since my system is constantly running 24/7, I estimate I have well over 700 hours on this little device. If there's any improvements to be had up to the 200 hour point, then I already have them. Same goes for the short WW USB cable and iPower for that matter.

The Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB Reclocker is a great buy, even at the full retail price of $250. Upgrading the cable and PS for a few more bucks still makes it a great buy, especially considering the amount of improvement those two extra pieces make. And now, Dan is living proof that this little guy works wonders even on a $22k DAC! Hyped up snake oil?... I think not.
Charles.......I knew it was just a matter of time before someone pointed out I was two short on the Recovery's.

Your comment about the Recovery delivering immediately out of the box was my exact discovery. I didn't have it between my desktop computer and the W4S DAC2 even five minutes before I was saying to myself this is something special. I even PM'd Ivan that first day and told him he needed to look into the Recovery.

I am waiting now on the delivery of my 0.3 meter Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable to replace the provided cable that comes with the Recovery. After I spend some time with that arrangement I will order the iFi iPower 9 volt power supply on yours and Randy's recommendation. Might as well go all the way.
__________________
Dan



STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-25-2016, 11:31 PM
Masterlu's Avatar
Masterlu Masterlu is online now
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South FL & Cape Cod MA
Posts: 70,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......I knew it was just a matter of time before someone pointed out I was two short on the Recovery's.

Your comment about the Recovery delivering immediately out of the box was my exact discovery. I didn't have it between my desktop computer and the W4S DAC2 even five minutes before I was saying to myself this is something special. I even PM'd Ivan that first day and told him he needed to look into the Recovery.

I am waiting now on the delivery of my 0.3 meter Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable to replace the provided cable that comes with the Recovery. After I spend some time with that arrangement I will order the iFi iPower 9 volt power supply on yours and Randy's recommendation. Might as well go all the way.
Dan... I'm an iFi dealer also, maybe I'll order a few dozen of those 9 volt power supplies too.
__________________
Ivan
FLORIDA
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A250 AMPS, C3850 PRE-AMP, DP950 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC950 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-58 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO, FORTRESS SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1/D1 STACK, G01X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1 CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Bryston/Esoteric System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E650 INTEGRATED, DP560 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WIREWORLD GOLD CABLES
Bryston Active System: BP26 PRE-AMP, MPS2 POWER SUPPLY, BAX-1 CROSSOVER, BDA-3 DAC, BDP-3 PLAYER, BCD-3 CD PLAYER, BIT15(2), MODEL T ACTIVE SPEAKERS, 21B3 CUBED AMPS, SILENZIO, TARGET RACK, WIREWORLD SILVER CABLES

Shunyata Omega QR Power Cables inbound... Accuphase E-800 inbound... 2 x Wizards inbound...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-25-2016, 11:59 PM
Randy Myers Randy Myers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Nipomo, CA
Posts: 2,142
Default

Sounds like there will probably be a few people lining up for Recovery units.... having some iPower on hand would probably be a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-26-2016, 12:14 AM
Randy Myers Randy Myers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Nipomo, CA
Posts: 2,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......I knew it was just a matter of time before someone pointed out I was two short on the Recovery's.

Your comment about the Recovery delivering immediately out of the box was my exact discovery. I didn't have it between my desktop computer and the W4S DAC2 even five minutes before I was saying to myself this is something special. I even PM'd Ivan that first day and told him he needed to look into the Recovery.

I am waiting now on the delivery of my 0.3 meter Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable to replace the provided cable that comes with the Recovery. After I spend some time with that arrangement I will order the iFi iPower 9 volt power supply on yours and Randy's recommendation. Might as well go all the way.
Hehe... I was thinking that also but didn't want to be too pushy since we just got you on board with one ....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:21 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase