AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-15-2015, 10:19 PM
JCR's Avatar
JCR JCR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 356
Default

Well, for better or for worst, I did order the two Thor Hammer today...this will either be one of the biggest upgrade I make, or one of the dummest investing in my system. I am obviously leaning toward the first one! I should have them in 4 weeks or so...

Still-One: Thanks! In fact I had to get two controller because I will run the one sub per channel, and the crossover merge the left and right channel into the sub output...so need two of them!

trponhunter: I understand your point and the possibility of tuning with 6 subs. However currently my 6 subs are setup exactly the same (cutoff and volume). I experimented a lot with them over the past two years and always found the best result, for my system, to be all 6 subs working the same. I am not a big fan of room correction - at least once again not in my system... SO in my case for my system in my listening room, I am still leaning toward the fact two Thor will be better then 6 REL.

Bart and Marsalis: I did consider them, however I never eard them to be honest. I am sure they are very good, but based on my previous experience with my Wilson Watch Dog, and the fact I always like the bass of the Wilson, my dealer and I were both leaning more toward the Thor setup, giving me the choice of amplification. And I did listen to the Thor on few demo system over the past few years, and was always impressed with the systems when they were in it, even if I was not a big fan of the other equipment being used in those setup...

Time will tell, to be exact in 4 weeks time I should know and will report back for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-15-2015, 10:33 PM
jpgr4blu jpgr4blu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: upper west side new york city
Posts: 437
Default

Hi JCR
Please report back to us when you get them. Very curious about how this works out. I bet very well.
__________________
Alexias V2; Spectral SDR4000SV, BelCanto PL-1 cdps;Marantz 2270 (tuner);ARC Ref40, Phono2se & Ref160m;VPI HRX sup plat/rim d, 12.7 arms (incl 3d); Lyra Atlas, Dyna XV1-t, XV1-s (mono), Shure V15III; Shunyata Tritonv3/Typhon, Sigma & Anaconda pcs, Zitron Anac sp, Aurora, Indra, WEL, MIT ics, elevators; Stillpt/Walker tweaks; Fin Elemente rack, ADesk & VPI 17 rcms;Smartractor; digital level/weight gauges, Furu demag &destat;Oppo205
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-18-2015, 01:44 PM
Charles Charles is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Well, for better or for worst, I did order the two Thor Hammer today...this will either be one of the biggest upgrade I make, or one of the dummest investing in my system. I am obviously leaning toward the first one! I should have them in 4 weeks or so...

Still-One: Thanks! In fact I had to get two controller because I will run the one sub per channel, and the crossover merge the left and right channel into the sub output...so need two of them!

trponhunter: I understand your point and the possibility of tuning with 6 subs. However currently my 6 subs are setup exactly the same (cutoff and volume). I experimented a lot with them over the past two years and always found the best result, for my system, to be all 6 subs working the same. I am not a big fan of room correction - at least once again not in my system... SO in my case for my system in my listening room, I am still leaning toward the fact two Thor will be better then 6 REL.

Bart and Marsalis: I did consider them, however I never eard them to be honest. I am sure they are very good, but based on my previous experience with my Wilson Watch Dog, and the fact I always like the bass of the Wilson, my dealer and I were both leaning more toward the Thor setup, giving me the choice of amplification. And I did listen to the Thor on few demo system over the past few years, and was always impressed with the systems when they were in it, even if I was not a big fan of the other equipment being used in those setup...

Time will tell, to be exact in 4 weeks time I should know and will report back for sure.
Jacques, Well big congratulations!! I think you have made the correct choice for an ultimate system. With 2 Hammer's run true mono (not summed) you will never remotely over load them. I would give them plenty of power if you have the amps so that the amp is always loafing along. I have found the Hammer to be a remarkably good "woofer". Its upper bass is certainly as good as a Maxx3 and the Maxx3 is know for its bass quality. Again, huge congrats, great sagacity/wisdom. You deserve the best and now you will have it. I know of no system anywhere that could truly/significantly surpass yours once it is properly setup and fine tuned

Last edited by Charles; 04-18-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-19-2015, 08:46 AM
JCR's Avatar
JCR JCR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 356
Default

Thanks Charles. Very interesting comment about the Thor being also a good "woofer" in addition to a "subwoofer" because this was part of my motivation to change the REL setup. In my listening room with the Aida, there is not much happening below 55Hz unfortunately. I am currently cutting my REL at about 35Hz but really I would like to cut them much higher like 50 or 60Hz like I use to cut my Wilson Watch Dog.

The issue I run into when I do so is while I love the REL below 35Hz, in my room, you can start to see their limitation if I try to cut the REL higher like 50Hz. They start to sound like, well, a subwoofer in order to still pressurize my room! My hypothesis is that I will be able to cut off the Thor much higher then the REL with better result (50-60 Hz). More to come ...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-26-2015, 10:05 AM
STC STC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Well, for better or for worst, I did order the two Thor Hammer today...this will either be one of the biggest upgrade I make, or one of the dummest investing in my system. I am obviously leaning toward the first one! I should have them in 4 weeks or so.
Hi JCR,
Have you received your Thor Hammers?
Do share with us your finding

(PS: I bot my 2nd REL G1 sub and I love them!!! Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with the 6 pcs of G1)

Best
STC
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-26-2015, 07:34 PM
JCR's Avatar
JCR JCR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Hi JCR, Have you received your Thor Hammers? Do share with us your finding (PS: I bot my 2nd REL G1 sub and I love them!!! Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with the 6 pcs of G1) Best STC
Not yet! They are leaving the factory this week so if i am lucky i should get them in my house by next week end around June 6th. I cant wait!

I am glad you enjoy your second G1! I'll be sure to report back as soon as i get them! In the mean time i did receive my second 45' interconnect to be used for the thor amplifier, so until then i am experimenting with biamping my aida with bith the ref 750 and the mac 2000w!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-26-2015, 07:42 PM
Masterlu's Avatar
Masterlu Masterlu is online now
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South FL & Cape Cod MA
Posts: 69,885
Default

Jacques... put your Aida's on Stillpoint Ultra 5's

I have pics of mine in the Stillpoint forum.
__________________
Ivan
FLORIDA
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A250 AMPS, C3850 PRE-AMP, DP950 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC950 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-58 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO, FORTRESS SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1/D1 STACK, G01X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1 CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Bryston/Esoteric System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E650 INTEGRATED, DP560 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WIREWORLD GOLD CABLES
Bryston Active System: BP26 PRE-AMP, MPS2 POWER SUPPLY, BAX-1 CROSSOVER, BDA-3 DAC, BDP-3 PLAYER, BCD-3 CD PLAYER, BIT15(2), MODEL T ACTIVE SPEAKERS, 21B3 CUBED AMPS, SILENZIO, TARGET RACK, WIREWORLD SILVER CABLES
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-26-2015, 08:05 PM
JCR's Avatar
JCR JCR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Jacques... put your Aida's on Stillpoint Ultra 5's I have pics of mine in the Stillpoint forum.
What sonic difference would you say the still point makes under your aida ivan?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-26-2015, 08:36 PM
Masterlu's Avatar
Masterlu Masterlu is online now
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South FL & Cape Cod MA
Posts: 69,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
What sonic difference would you say the still point makes under your aida ivan?
The soundstage is improved (more holographic) dramatically.
__________________
Ivan
FLORIDA
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A250 AMPS, C3850 PRE-AMP, DP950 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC950 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-58 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO, FORTRESS SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1/D1 STACK, G01X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1 CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Bryston/Esoteric System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E650 INTEGRATED, DP560 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WIREWORLD GOLD CABLES
Bryston Active System: BP26 PRE-AMP, MPS2 POWER SUPPLY, BAX-1 CROSSOVER, BDA-3 DAC, BDP-3 PLAYER, BCD-3 CD PLAYER, BIT15(2), MODEL T ACTIVE SPEAKERS, 21B3 CUBED AMPS, SILENZIO, TARGET RACK, WIREWORLD SILVER CABLES
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-26-2015, 08:56 PM
JCR's Avatar
JCR JCR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
The soundstage is improved (more holographic) dramatically.
have you tried the ultra 6? I am not familiar with stillpoint but it seem very interesting. The reviews also seem to point toward attribute i like like musicality and fluidity...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase