AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Clearaudio

Clearaudio Loving Music

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Maks's Avatar
Maks Maks is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,647
Default No love for the Performance DC?

I've seen a lot of talk on here and the web in general about the Concept and Ovation but almost nothing about the Performance DC. Is this considered a worse value for the dollar than either of the other TTs? For where my system is at today, the Performance sits right in my price range with a nice cart, but I just can't seem to find many people who are actually using it or even selling it.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Josquin des Prez's Avatar
Josquin des Prez Josquin des Prez is offline
Vinyl, Baby!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,047
Default

The Ovation and Concept have been out for quite some time now. The Performance DC wasn't available until Nov. 2012.

I have seen and heard it. It looks like a great table and pretty big bang for the buck. I think you need to give it a while before you see feedback and reviews.

I was going to get one myself, but it kept getting delayed last year, so I ended up makign a deal for a demo Ovation with a Talisman v2.
__________________
óDean

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/VTA Lifter2/Concerto v2 Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/NAPSC/Hicap/NAP250.2 QNAP 219P-II
Dynaudio Contour S3.4-e2 REL Serie R-328 Cables Clearaudio, Herron Audio, Naim Audio

Last edited by Josquin des Prez; 02-22-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 PM
ChrisAZ's Avatar
ChrisAZ ChrisAZ is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 717
Default

My Performance DC with Clarify tonearm and Virtuoso V2 Ebony Cartridge arrive Friday. I'll share my thoughts at the end of the weekend - such as they are.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 PM
chessman's Avatar
chessman chessman is offline
From the BAT cave ...


 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 11,651
Default

ChrisAZ, welcome aboard!
__________________
Randy (1158) - Wilson Sophia 2; BAT VK-600SE, BAT VK-52SE, Esoteric K-01; JL Audio F113 x3; Sound Anchor Stands; Exact Power EP-15 and SP-15; Oppo BDP-83 SE; Bryston SP3; Emotiva MPS-1; Sony VPL-VW285ES 4K front projector; 92" Stewart Firehawk; Rocket 200, 300, 750; ASC Tube Traps; WireWorld Silver Electra 5^2 PC's, Silver Eclipse 6 IC's and Silver Eclipse 6 SC's; Shunyata Sigma HC (x2) amp to wall; Shunyata Hydra 6/Black Mamba CX-HC and Shunyata MPC-12/Venom HC power distribution and conditioning; Stillpoints Ultra 5, Ultra SS and Mini isolation; Clearaudio Concept (MC) turntable; PS Audio GCPH phono stage; Bryston 10B-SUB active cross-over; Sonos streaming; W4S Remedy upsample and clock; Silenzio media server; WireWorld Platinum Starlight USB.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 PM
ChrisAZ's Avatar
ChrisAZ ChrisAZ is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 717
Default

Thanks, I've been lurking and learning.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-27-2013, 03:00 AM
Maks's Avatar
Maks Maks is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAZ View Post
My Performance DC with Clarify tonearm and Virtuoso V2 Ebony Cartridge arrive Friday. I'll share my thoughts at the end of the weekend - such as they are.
Welcome aboard, I look forward to hearing your input.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 AM
mulveling mulveling is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 527
Default

Congrats! My dealer has had each of the current Clearaudio lineup in succession, now up to the Innovation Compact (which I'm completely smitten by, sonically and aesthetically). Each table has an extremely impressive build, and I like each of them at their respective price points.

The Performance is lovely table, worth the scratch over the Concept. it's just that for whatever reason, the Clarify arm it came with was ridiculously sensitive to footfalls in that room. No doubt the VTI rack (even loaded with lead shot) was subpar and partially to blame, but no other table/arm combo would skip a groove when you put your foot down across the room. The Ovation with its Clarify arm didn't do that, so hopefully it was specific to that 1 unit and/or setup.

I like the Magnify arm a whole lot, since its hybrid bearing seems to hold the armtube firmly enough in place to resolve the oscillation effect of the pure magnetic arms -- a better combination of near-0 friction and good rigidity.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Josquin des Prez's Avatar
Josquin des Prez Josquin des Prez is offline
Vinyl, Baby!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
Congrats! My dealer has had each of the current Clearaudio lineup in succession, now up to the Innovation Compact (which I'm completely smitten by, sonically and aesthetically). Each table has an extremely impressive build, and I like each of them at their respective price points.

The Performance is lovely table, worth the scratch over the Concept. it's just that for whatever reason, the Clarify arm it came with was ridiculously sensitive to footfalls in that room. No doubt the VTI rack (even loaded with lead shot) was subpar and partially to blame, but no other table/arm combo would skip a groove when you put your foot down across the room. The Ovation with its Clarify arm didn't do that, so hopefully it was specific to that 1 unit and/or setup.

I like the Magnify arm a whole lot, since its hybrid bearing seems to hold the armtube firmly enough in place to resolve the oscillation effect of the pure magnetic arms -- a better combination of near-0 friction and good rigidity.
My Ovation with the Clarify arm is very sensitive to footfall. I have mine on a wall shelf mounted on an outside wall of my house (2nd floor of a two-story brick), but the magnetic bearing still gets upset easily, such as when a truck drives by outside, or my wife slams the door shut coming in. But I do have it isolated from footfall with the wall shelf.

I am contemplating an upgrade to the Magnify arm, but that is a pretty expensive step up.
__________________
óDean

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/VTA Lifter2/Concerto v2 Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/NAPSC/Hicap/NAP250.2 QNAP 219P-II
Dynaudio Contour S3.4-e2 REL Serie R-328 Cables Clearaudio, Herron Audio, Naim Audio
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Maks's Avatar
Maks Maks is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,647
Default

I've heard a lot of comments about footfall and the Clearaudio line, which is really a deal breaker for me with my setup. I'll have to visit the local dealer and see what they recommend.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 AM
ChrisAZ's Avatar
ChrisAZ ChrisAZ is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
I've heard a lot of comments about footfall and the Clearaudio line, which is really a deal breaker for me with my setup. I'll have to visit the local dealer and see what they recommend.
I've also got on order a 4" Mapleshade isolation platform - but that will take a few weeks to get here. If that and the built in cabinet don't do the trick isolating from footfalls, that will be a problem!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase