AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > ModWright Instruments

ModWright Instruments Elegance. Simplicity. Truth.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-09-2012, 12:54 AM
JJinID's Avatar
JJinID JJinID is online now
The Architect


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Scenic Idaho
Posts: 2,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davros View Post
I have tried this pre on several occasions and it is a steal for the price. The LS100 in combination with the KWA 150 is a match made in heaven.
Highly recommended!
Hi Davros - just noticed your post. I have been auditioning a loaner LS100 for a few months now from Dan and I agree with you - it is a fantastic preamp, even without considering it's amazing cost/value proposition. The optional phono stage is extremely high performing as well! Tell us more about the rest of your system...
__________________
McIntosh MC501s, XRT29s, XR27, WS350s
ModWright LS 300 Preamplifier
Denon AVR-A100 HT Receiver
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0 Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-04-2013, 01:36 PM
ckunstadt ckunstadt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Default

I'm getting one!
I guess that's all I have to say. but I'm excited.
I've been using a DAC as a preamp so hopefully this is a bit of a revelation. I have lots of NOS tubes to roll. sounds fun.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 PM
JJinID's Avatar
JJinID JJinID is online now
The Architect


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Scenic Idaho
Posts: 2,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckunstadt View Post
I'm getting one!
I guess that's all I have to say. but I'm excited.
I've been using a DAC as a preamp so hopefully this is a bit of a revelation. I have lots of NOS tubes to roll. sounds fun.
Cool! When do you expect it to arrive? Be sure to let us know how you like it. What is the rest of your system comprised of?
__________________
McIntosh MC501s, XRT29s, XR27, WS350s
ModWright LS 300 Preamplifier
Denon AVR-A100 HT Receiver
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0 Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 PM
ckunstadt ckunstadt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
Cool! When do you expect it to arrive? Be sure to let us know how you like it. What is the rest of your system comprised of?
Well, I expect it to ship soon. So, a week?

I'll try to build-out my signature.

mac mini > Oppo BDP-105 > XLR > Pass Labs X250 > Salk HT3 > earballs

I had a W4S DAC2 and I'm feeling the the Oppo is crushing it as a DAC. The fact that the 105 plays any disc really well is sweet bonus.
I AM considering Dan's mod for the Oppo but, since it seems like a preamp is an important step, I'm checking that off first.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 AM
JJinID's Avatar
JJinID JJinID is online now
The Architect


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Scenic Idaho
Posts: 2,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckunstadt View Post
Well, I expect it to ship soon. So, a week?

I'll try to build-out my signature.

mac mini > Oppo BDP-105 > XLR > Pass Labs X250 > Salk HT3 > earballs

I had a W4S DAC2 and I'm feeling the the Oppo is crushing it as a DAC. The fact that the 105 plays any disc really well is sweet bonus.
I AM considering Dan's mod for the Oppo but, since it seems like a preamp is an important step, I'm checking that off first.
Based on my listening experience with the LS100 and the ModWright Oppo 95, I agree that starting with the LS100 first is the correct sequence. It seems that there are several people that run the Oppos directly into their amps, but I have found that this does not sound as good as with an active preamp (in my case, the LS100) in the chain. The stock 95 did not sound as good at all direct to amps (the tube modified 95 is better) and I would expect the 105 to be similar.

Let us know your impressions once you receive your LS100!
__________________
McIntosh MC501s, XRT29s, XR27, WS350s
ModWright LS 300 Preamplifier
Denon AVR-A100 HT Receiver
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0 Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 PM
ckunstadt ckunstadt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Default

I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the input on my sequence of things, JJ.
Not having much alternative, I think direct-connecting my Oppo to my amp sounds really nice. My only complaint (without hearing a real preamp) is that the volume control is janky on the Oppo. At level 1, it starts too loud and only goes a little louder than I require at level 100.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 PM
JJinID's Avatar
JJinID JJinID is online now
The Architect


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Scenic Idaho
Posts: 2,342
Default

I spent some time late night listening to the headphone out of the LS100 into my AKG550s. This was the first time I really spent some serious listening time with this feature, and I was really blown away with how nice it sounded! The LS100's headphone output is outstanding!

I might have to look into a pair of HD700s or other similar quality headphones now...
__________________
McIntosh MC501s, XRT29s, XR27, WS350s
ModWright LS 300 Preamplifier
Denon AVR-A100 HT Receiver
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0 Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-11-2013, 06:10 PM
ckunstadt ckunstadt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
I spent some time late night listening to the headphone out of the LS100 into my AKG550s. This was the first time I really spent some serious listening time with this feature, and I was really blown away with how nice it sounded! The LS100's headphone output is outstanding!

I might have to look into a pair of HD700s or other similar quality headphones now...
I just got mine set up on Sunday. So far it sounds really good. It's a blast rolling tubes again. I'm getting some grain in the vocals and etching in the treble, though. I'm not sure if it's my tubes or if my LS100 needs some burn-in. I bought it used but that thing looks new (to me).
I can say that I prefer my short coke-bottle rectifier to my metal base GZ34. It's a NOS Mullard but I forget the model number. I'll report back with that.
I definitely want to give my headphones a listen after reading the 6 Moons review! Wish I had a longer cable for my Audezes now.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-13-2013, 01:41 PM
JJinID's Avatar
JJinID JJinID is online now
The Architect


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Scenic Idaho
Posts: 2,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckunstadt View Post
I just got mine set up on Sunday. So far it sounds really good. It's a blast rolling tubes again. I'm getting some grain in the vocals and etching in the treble, though. I'm not sure if it's my tubes or if my LS100 needs some burn-in. I bought it used but that thing looks new (to me).
I can say that I prefer my short coke-bottle rectifier to my metal base GZ34. It's a NOS Mullard but I forget the model number. I'll report back with that.
I definitely want to give my headphones a listen after reading the 6 Moons review! Wish I had a longer cable for my Audezes now.
Glad to read that you received your unit. You might look at trying new tubes and/or switching places with your tubes if the sound doesn't smooth out...

I am using the Sophia Electric 6SN7s and a NOS Mullard GZ34 for the rectifier on mine. The break-in time has really been a long one for this preamp. I thought it was done by now but still noticing some changes this past weekend. I haven't been tracking time as closely as I should, but I am guessing I am easily over 200 hours now.
__________________
McIntosh MC501s, XRT29s, XR27, WS350s
ModWright LS 300 Preamplifier
Denon AVR-A100 HT Receiver
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0 Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 PM
ckunstadt ckunstadt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Default

I've had some pretty big ups and downs running my LS100 in. I have not been very patient, though, and have tried about 8 pairs of driver tubes.
At this moment, I'm really liking the Ken Rads with my Mullard CV593 rectifier (mentioned above). I would encourage anyone with this preamp to try the CV593. They can be found on Ebay for around $100. Pretty typical price for a nice rectifier. It strikes a very wide soundstage and is a bit fuller in the bass. I think it gives up some punch to the Metal base GZ34 but that's about it.
Anyway, this weekend, I rolled-in my TSBGRPs and was pretty unimpressed. These are my favorite drivers in my Woo Audio WA22 by a long way. Weird.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase