AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tuners

Tuners FM, HD, Satellite

Old 11-22-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
I started this posted over two months ago when I started my quest for a tuner. Since then I was actually able to try both the MD109 and the MR88 in my system. Funny enough my impression of them changed quite a bit with time.

At first I thought I was missing something with the MD109. I felt like an "audiophile" product missing some body and smoothness to my liking (says the guy with 6 subs :-)). However after 500 hours of burn in and after a tube swap (put some JAN-Philips 6922 instead of the stock tube) I must say it became the most fluid and smooth tuner I have ever heard!

While all this was happening I also tried the MR88. First impression were very good and immediately you could feel the MR88 had more bass and sounded darker then the MD109. Therefore after 1 day in my system I was sure I would favor the MR88. However after time several days of listening compared to the MD109, this darkness compared to the MD109 came at a price. The sound seemed more compressed when compared tot he MD109 and also a bit more grainy. I must say these difference became even more apparent the more the MD109 was broken-in.

I could easily live with both tuner but I finally decided to stick to my first choice and keep the MD109 which just continue to get better with more hours still!

Jacques
Interesting to read your comparison. I've only A/Bed my MR88 with my MR74 in my current system and I would agree that versus the analog MR74 the MR88 does sound more compressed. In an ideal world I think 2 tuners hooked up simultaneously is the best solution
Old 11-22-2014, 04:27 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Jacques... Sounds like the MD109 is an excellent tuner. I looked at Magnum Dynalab before purchasing my MR88 but decided to stay with an all McIntosh setup. My entire audio journey has been a mix of components and this time around I wanted all matching pieces. There's always better in this insane hobby but I just can't over the beauty of McIntosh and the MR88 was just too good looking to pass up. Anyway, I hope it brings you years of enjoyment. There's still some great music flowing over the airwaves.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
Interesting to read your comparison. I've only A/Bed my MR88 with my MR74 in my current system and I would agree that versus the analog MR74 the MR88 does sound more compressed. In an ideal world I think 2 tuners hooked up simultaneously is the best solution
I agree with you. Somehow my wife is skeptical about that one :-)
Old 11-22-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet View Post
Jacques... Sounds like the MD109 is an excellent tuner. I looked at Magnum Dynalab before purchasing my MR88 but decided to stay with an all McIntosh setup. My entire audio journey has been a mix of components and this time around I wanted all matching pieces. There's always better in this insane hobby but I just can't over the beauty of McIntosh and the MR88 was just too good looking to pass up. Anyway, I hope it brings you years of enjoyment. There's still some great music flowing over the airwaves.
Staying with one brand is a good move to match everything. Yes sometime you can get a better result with different brand but you can also get worse result and waste a lot of money in the process! Had i try the mr88 first i would have been happy and kept it. I do like the older look of the mr 88. My first satisfying setup was an all yba system. Looking back i would have saved a lot of money keeping it and being content with it!

:-)
Old 11-22-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet View Post
Wise words! I'm with you, the look of the MR88 is fantastic, especially in an all Mc system. I look forward to owning a MD tuner at some point in the future when I have more space, though the Accuphase tuners look great too
Old 12-17-2014, 01:57 AM

Default MD106T Vs. MR88

Jacques, I had MT 106T with gold plate for many years. Was very happy with it. Sold it to a gent in Australia after MD did their thing- He just loves it! And loves MD for the mod they did for him.

Then I got all McIntosh system and figure MR88 will be a good match. But like you I also noticed the sound seemed more compressed when compared to the MD106T and also a bit more grainy.

Now I have MD108T with silver front - just love it. Jim at MD is now the new owner, Larry has retired. Jim also is such nice man to deal with. I recommend any MD products whole heartedly! They are just incredibly helpful bunch.

Last edited by Banter; 12-17-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:12 AM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Banter... Your MD108T with silver front is seriously good looking. Beautiful tuner.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:24 AM

Default Thank you...

Thank you. Another plus for MD tuners – they are very photogenic!
Old 12-20-2014, 08:27 AM

Banter... Glad you are enjoying the MD108T. I find they are so nice in Silver as well. Which tube are you using in your MD108T? Are you using the stock tube or did you swap them?

Best, Jacques
Old 12-20-2014, 09:33 AM

the only thing i'm worried about is that evil green eye going RROD like my xbox.....

o