AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 05-25-2012, 06:02 AM

Default Does atmostpheric pressure have effect on sealed box speakers ?

I have this question in mind long ago. Sent question to manufacturer, without getting any reply. Ok I am may be to crazy to think about this, but here it is.

If you notice when aircraft fly high, you see that anything that is sealed will be inflated, like yogurt or snack in sealed plastic bag, during descending water in the bottle will be crushed. That was because of internal air pressure different from external air.

Now let say our sealed box speakers are sealed, the moment they are sealed, they will keep some amount of air pressure inside and no way to contact with outside world anymore. Then what happen if user use it in high elevation town, or speakers experience days to days atmospheric pressure variation.

I guess that pressure difference must have some effect on driver cones neutral position in some way. What keep the cone neutral is the spring force from driver's flexible surrounds, If atmospheric pressure is more than pressure trapped inside the box, then the cones will be tiny bit pushed inside of neutral position, amplifier will also have to work harder to fight with extra pressure to push cones outward with positive signal, but will be easier to pull the cones back in with negative music signal. Will this cause inconsistency in sound between high and low pressure days ?

Also, same speaker models that leave factory on different days will also have
different pressure trapped inside. 10-30 millibars of atmospheric variation is normal through out the year. then each production lots will react differently
to outside air pressure. 21 pound of forced is pushed the 8" driver inside for pressure diff of 30 millibar. (let's say driver is "flat" )

I may be thinking too much, but I have seen plastic bottle crushed before, that is the different of 200 millibar when cabin altitude reduce from 6000 to 0 feet while pressure that is trapped in the bottle remained low even the plane has landed, and that started this question.

toga
Sorry again if this bother you..
Old 05-25-2012, 06:24 AM

I don't think sealed box speakers are completely airtight.

The other question is whether the speed of sound is affected by atmospheric pressure. The answer is: no it isn't.
Source: Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL99V, MA505 Mk2, Lyra Dorian, Denon 103D, RCM Sensor Phono Stage. Amplification: Cary SLP-05 pre, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S power, Marchand XM44. Speakers: Acapella High Violon, JL Audio F110 subwoofer pair. Pictures here
Old 05-25-2012, 08:42 AM

The speed of sound is mostly determined by temperature but also slightly by gas density and humidity.

Warmer air and the presence of water vapor increase the speed of sound. The air surrounding us is not an what physicists call an ideal gas.

I also doubt that a "sealed" acoustic suspension speaker is hermetically sealed.

Last edited by GaryProtein; 05-25-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 AM

Conclusion:

Be sure to listen in a controlled environment...
Old 05-25-2012, 12:49 PM

Ok, if the sealed box speakers are not completely sealed, then there is no problem.
But where is the holes that allow leaks?
I have seen tweeter diaphram crushed by air transports. One on Stereophile Giya g1, and two on Magico v2 tweeter, dealer said it was dent already when they open the box.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA
Ok, if the sealed box speakers are not completely sealed, then there is no problem.
But where is the holes that allow leaks?
I have seen tweeter diaphram crushed by air transports. One on Stereophile Giya g1, and two on Magico v2 tweeter, dealer said it was dent already when they open the box.
There are not any holes but since the cabinet in not "perfectly" sealed air pressure will equalize over the journey from location A to B.....
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 05-25-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfibius View Post
I don't think sealed box speakers are completely airtight.

The other question is whether the speed of sound is affected by atmospheric pressure. The answer is: no it isn't.
http://www.rane.com/pdf/ranenotes/En...d_of_Sound.pdf

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 PM

Thanks for digging that up

"Eq. (5) reveals the temperature dependence and pressure independence of the speed of sound. An increase in pressure results in an equal increase in density.
Therefore there is no change in velocity due to a change in pressure."

Good that my recollection was correct - a change in atmospheric pressure does not change the speed of sound
Source: Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL99V, MA505 Mk2, Lyra Dorian, Denon 103D, RCM Sensor Phono Stage. Amplification: Cary SLP-05 pre, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S power, Marchand XM44. Speakers: Acapella High Violon, JL Audio F110 subwoofer pair. Pictures here
Old 05-26-2012, 12:32 AM

Well, but what i really mean here is that the pressure difference between inside and outside
Will cause extra load to amplifier or not. Rather than concern on speed of sound changes.
toga
Old 05-26-2012, 04:18 AM

Nothing to be concerned about.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2