AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 09-26-2014, 09:15 PM
Music Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
If they stretch, the material is faulty. SF are currently replacing the strings on my Amati Futura, and claimed they had received a bad batch from their supplier.
Bill, AKA Metphacts knew of this problem. An exchange was never an option that I had heard of here in the U.S. and I know he would of said something. I know Bill has moved on to another company now but maybe he can chime in on this info.
Bill, if you see this can you give us your thoughts?
Thanks.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 09-27-2014, 05:29 AM

FWIW I had the Cremona Auditor M couple of years back and the strings didn't have any issues, neither was the Guarneri Evoluzione...but the latest speakers even on the Evoluzione I see they have change a different type of strings which IMO is much better in quality then the earlier ones.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:10 PM

The strings on my GE are different from those on my Amati Futura. I think SF might buy in from different suppliers?

There was no question from either my distributor or SF that the strings would be replaced - the speakers are under warranty, and the strings are part of the speaker.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
The strings on my GE are different from those on my Amati Futura. I think SF might buy in from different suppliers? There was no question from either my distributor or SF that the strings would be replaced - the speakers are under warranty, and the strings are part of the speaker.
I've noticed the strings were different on the GEs compared to the Olympica IIs too.
Maybe different sources or different type/size utilized to voice the speaker? The GE strings seem to be thinner and less elastic than the ones on my previous Olympica II.
Anyone know if this is done on purpose? Just my opinion, but each of my Sonus Faber's have sounded their best with the string grills in place.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:58 PM

I have Amati Anniversarios. I have tightened the strings a number of times. It amazes me that they don't snap, but I'll just keep doing it until they break. Then I guess I'll buy new grills. I am surprised that some people do NOT have this problem - I just assumed that it was a defective (albeit beautiful) design. Perhaps they have remedied it?
Old 05-25-2015, 05:32 PM

I am buying a used Cremona and the strings are a mess. I scuttled the deal because the new grills would cost $500. This thread might just revive the deal. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:30 PM

I have a pair of the Elipsa SEs and I don't use the string grills. I think that they sound slightly better without the grills. I mentioned this to my dealer and he agreed but said it was easier for him to just leave the grills on.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:11 AM

Over the last 12 years, I've had the Cremona, Cremona M, and now the Guarneri Evos for 2 years.
I live in singapore which is a hot tropical country.
EVERY SINGLE one of those speaker grills have sagged and the agent has never offered to replace them despite the mention.
On top of that, the GE metal plates on top and below tarnish within 2 days of polishing, and I'm not the only one. For speakers costing this much, it's pretty ridiculous. My mates with at least half a dozen other SF speakers here also share the same saggy grill problem.
You can stretch the grill, shorten it again and cut off the excess, but sooner or later, the silk cover will start to split and it will stretch no longer.
As to why I have continued to bear with this defective service and quality from Sonus Faber, it is for no other reason than that beguiling sound, and to a lesser but also import extent, the beauty of the design.
The only solution I can think of is to leave the grills off and never use them. 😕
GE grills have a metal crimp at the bottom of each grill, as compared with my old Cremonas which were just knotted. So if u see GE grills without the crimps, they might possibly have been shortened before.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:51 AM

I am dreading the day that I have to tighten the strings on my GH's. So far, everything seems to be holding together. While I like the string look, on both the grills and the stands; I think they are actually going to be the biggest issue that an owner of these speakers faces. I personally think the idea is not that great..to have strings as a main part of the aesthetic. Someone at SF, perhaps Franco himself, wasn't really thinking of the long term ownership issues that the 'silk' strings will elicit, IMHO.
OTOH, I guess when you have hit the ball out of the park with the speaker and its sound, a little miss-step can be forgiven.