AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 AM

Default Single driver speakers?

Been on a quest to decide what I will do when forced to downsize. I have been looking at integrated tube amps and stand mount or small floorstanding speakers.

Sunday I got to hear the Omega Super 6 speakers driven by a 15 wpc Push Pull with SET qualities. The amp is Steve Monte's own SQ84-V2 Integrated Amp & Headphone Amp w/Remote Volume.
Quest For Sound - High End Audio

First I listened to a Music Hall CDP with my own music. Then listened to an Asty Tubed CDP from Italy which was real nice sounding.

I was really surprised with this little setup and enjoyed the sound completely. The Omegas had plenty enough bass, for the room we were in. It was detailed and perfect for not having a sub in the mix.

Like most single drivers, the midrange was all there with never over the top highs. I listened to a variety of bass heavy tunes including Shape of a Dancer by Yokeshire, some Bruford, a little Greg Lake where the vocals shined and were captivating.

At this point, I would be happy to have this combo as a big rig replacement. I hope to hear some larger Omegas sometime for a little extra base.

To be fair to the Gemme's I heard previously, they told me the room was too big we were in but no matter, you either love them or hate them, not much in between...but the Omegas blew them away easily in all areas.

So for $1450 for the Omegas, and $1250 for the amp this is a killer little setup for $2700 minus stands.

Here is a good review of the Amp
Sound Quest SQ-84 V-2 Integrated Amplifier Not just the little integrated that could; it is the little integrated that did. Review By Jules Coleman

What single driver speakers and amp combos do you run and what do you like about it?

Next up I listened to the JAS Oriors, not single driver , which at $4200 are an expensive yet killer pair of standmounts.

We first played my disks through a Music Fidelity Integrated and CDP which of course was nice, but then for fun we switched over to a Granite Audio Pre and Mono Blocks similar to what is in this pic

We used Steve's own SQ 12 CD player but with the Granit Audio Tube section factory installed.

The sound from this GA-SQ-JAS setup was more than pleasing with plenty of everything you could want from an audio setup.

The GA pre and amps are about $10k and Steve's CD player is $3k so why wouldn't this setup have sounded so good.