AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 07-16-2015, 04:44 AM

Default Isotek DC Cancelling Evo3 Syncro Power Cord

I was very disappointed when I bought my Burmester 911 mk3 and discovered that it hummed very loudly to the extent that it became intrusive.

This is when I discovered that DC gremlin that rides on the mains as a result of the AC sinewave not averaging to Zero. The offset is exactly what causes mechanical hum in transformers.

The Burmester 911 amp is particularly sensitive to DC on the mains, so I set out to find a solution. I actually wonder if Burmester set out to use DC sensitive transformers to drive sales of the 948

Burmester’s 948 conditioner contain patented DC cancelling technology, but this option was simply too expensive and I settled on the Excellent Furutech Daytona as a hub and conditioner for my components.

This is when I discovered the Isotek EVO3 Syncro power cord; Follow the link to get an overview

IsoTek EVO3 Syncro Power Cord | Ultra High-End Audio and Home Theater Review

This Power cord contain a device that ensure that the AC is synchronised, in other words the average is zero, see chart

graph isotek.jpg

I decided to purchase the cord, a 3 meter version, and I am running it directly to the wall, bypassing the Daytona conditioner. It is plugged into a Furutech Flow 28 filter to ensure the 911 receive similar treatment or conditioning that the Daytona provides all other components.

I am ecstatic to report that my gamble paid off and the Syncro has totally eliminated all hum from the 911. The cable was only inserted into the system last night, so the protracted running in period starts now, but the system has already taken a quantum leap forward in musicality. Suddenly the system portrays that toe-tapping, toe-curling exquisite musicality that is so hard to find. The tiniest slivers of detail are suddenly crystal clear, and the system has an increased sense of smoothness.

It is almost uncanny how one now can sense an artist’s playing an instrument as opposed to simply hearing a sound.

The 911 was temporarily hooked up using my subwoofer power cable, a DIY made up of Furutech bulk cable.

This is the answer for those of you battling with humming transformers that does not want to invest in the Burmester 948. The Isotek is designed to feed an entire system via a conditioner or power block, but I prefer to use it only on the sensitive 911

I will report back in a couple of weeks once the cable has fully settled

Highly Recommended - Retail for standard 2m: $2500

isotek_evo3synchro.jpg

Last edited by jdandy; 12-29-2015 at 08:54 PM. Reason: enlarge photo.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:04 AM

Nice report.

Glad you like it on the 911, but it will remove DC offset on the line wherever it is used on that AC line. But the "base" cable used, Optimum, is easily Isotek's best AC cable. Just not sure what effect the in-line filtering has on resistance / current delivery. Both from the Syncro and the Flow28. I found the 911 keeps getting better with less resistance between it and whatever it is plugged into.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Nice report.

Glad you like it on the 911, but it will remove DC offset on the line wherever it is used on that AC line. But the "base" cable used, Optimum, is easily Isotek's best AC cable. Just not sure what effect the in-line filtering has on resistance / current delivery. Both from the Syncro and the Flow28. I found the 911 keeps getting better with less resistance between it and whatever it is plugged into.
Thanks Glisse,

It would not have been my first choice, but the hum was so bad that I had to make a plan. I can hook the Syncro up to the Daytona conditioner, but then I would have to connect the 911 to the conditioner and I am not keen on that

It’s a bit sad that the 911 does not benefit from the amazing Furutech Powerflux cord that is hooked up to the Daytona.

I think the DC offset had a major impact on the 911. The sound quality has taken a dramatic leap, including bass punch. It appears that dynamics are greatly improved. I don’t think it is necessarily due to the quality of the Isotek, but rather the amp is benefiting from elimination of DC offset. Very interesting.

I seem to have particularly severe DC offset at my home

I might consider the 948 at a later stage when funds allow

Douglas
Old 07-20-2015, 10:37 AM

Hello Douglas,

I have the same experience with the Burmester 032 integrated. The DC hum dissepeard when the Syncro cable was attached to it. I now run it from the wall to a Isotek Aquarius filter. Works wery well.

The trafo in the 911 is larger though

I plan to audition a 948 in the near future and have start saving for it... ;-)

Last edited by sandecker; 07-20-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandecker View Post
Hello Douglas,

I have the same experience with the Burmester 032 integrated. The DC hum dissepeard when the Syncro cable was attached to it. I now run it from the wall to a Isotek Aquarius filter. Works wery well.

The trafo in the 911 is larger though

I plan to audition a 948 in the near future and have start saving for it... ;-)
That is good to know Sandecker. I will be very interested in your findings with the 948. I better start saving
Old 07-20-2015, 07:11 PM

The Burmester gear does seem sensitive to DC offset - I guess that is why they built the 948.

But for me, the 948 was more crucial to get max performance from the 088 preamp rather than the 911. For the 911, the quality of the power cord was the most significant factor.

It sounds like the Syncro is doing a very capable job of getting rid of DC offset. My point was that it should not be necessary to use the Syncro cable direct into the 911 to get the benefit. The Syncro could be powering a clock radio on the same AC line, and the 911 would be getting the benefit.

I think it would be worthwhile to try the Syncro into the Daytona, and the Powerflux into the 911 (without a Flow28), just to see what differences there may be. My experience with the 911 is that it is very sensitive to the power cable, and the best power cable you have in your system should be the one connected to the 911.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
The Burmester gear does seem sensitive to DC offset - I guess that is why they built the 948.

But for me, the 948 was more crucial to get max performance from the 088 preamp rather than the 911. For the 911, the quality of the power cord was the most significant factor.

It sounds like the Syncro is doing a very capable job of getting rid of DC offset. My point was that it should not be necessary to use the Syncro cable direct into the 911 to get the benefit. The Syncro could be powering a clock radio on the same AC line, and the 911 would be getting the benefit.

I think it would be worthwhile to try the Syncro into the Daytona, and the Powerflux into the 911 (without a Flow28), just to see what differences there may be. My experience with the 911 is that it is very sensitive to the power cable, and the best power cable you have in your system should be the one connected to the 911.
Interesting Glisse

My understanding was that a component /components must be directly connected to the Syncro, either directly, or via a conditioner to benefit

If the Syncro removes DC from components when connected on the same AC line, then your suggestion will be the best option. I have a dedicated Duplex line, and both the Syncro and Powerflux are connected to it. I will try this option soon and report back. Thank you

Last edited by Douglas; 07-21-2015 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:18 AM

Me too , have a loud transformer buzz from Burmester 032. Also From ATI 6007 and sometimes even from the non-torroidal Gryphon Mephisto. I want to get rid of DC from the main panel. Rather than invested in many stes of EVO3 Synchro. Considering two ATI6007 requires 4 , Mephisto another 2. And one more for 032. Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 12-29-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:53 AM

I am totally happy with the EVO3. Its feeding my entire system now, connected to the conditioner. I have no hum in any of my components, and dynamics are top notch.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:33 PM

I think three of EVO could buy one Burmester 948 to do the same duty.

Toga