AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 03-11-2017, 09:31 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Default Magnepan MG 1.7i - In the (mountain) House

I was a long time Magneplanar user/listener - having started with Tympani's (3 panel) and progressing through various single panel Maggies as room sizes and needs changed.

My last pair were 20.1's - which I sold (for whatever ill-advised reason) about 10 years ago.

Well, as most of you might well understand, I got the itch to try Maggies again - and decided to try one of the less sizable (and less costly) of their speakers.

I was using a pair of Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos at my cottage in the Tennessee mountains - and last week, I moved them aside and purchased a pair of the highly touted MG 1.7i's and put them in the SF's place (for a while, I thought!)

WOW - am I impressed.

Listening now, as I write this, I am amazed at just how good these little Maggies really are.

My wife is still asleep and I'm listening at low volume - and still the speakers sound amazingly good. Huge soundstage, spreading all across the front of the room. Pure, beautiful sound - instruments perfectly placed and standing there in mid-air. Some guy seems to be right there in my room singing to me.

I do remember my Tympani's and larger Magnepan speakers sounding "fuller" at higher volume levels, but I don't remember them sounding as "correct" and pure as these little fellows do - especially at low volume.

These 1.7i's are wonderful.

And I do wonder if I don't have somewhere else to use my Sonus Faber's.

I think I'm gonna love these Maggies.

I do stil have my JL Audio F112 subwoofer here, which i anticipate will make the Magenpan sound even "better" and may well make them rival (equal?) the larger Maggie's of my now distant memory - and, I will hook-up that beast up later today.

HOME SYSTEM: . . .Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Esoteric K-03 CD/SACD Player, OPPO BDP-105D Darbee BluRay/SACD/CD Player, Olive 4HD Music Server, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, STAX SR-404 Signature Electrostatic Headphones, STAX SRM-727 Headphone Amp, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, Graham Nightingale II or Benz Ruby 3 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. VPI DB-5 "magic bricks", ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System

2ND HOME SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento or Magnepan MG 1.7i Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, Esoteric Modified-X03 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-95 Blu-Ray Player, OPPO SONICA Audiophile DAC & Network Streamer VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Rosewood Platinum Signature -Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI DB-5 "magic bricks", VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables,.

. . . . . .
Old 03-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Life is beautiful

Wow, congrats Julian!
You spend so much time in that beautiful room, you deserve a decent system there - although the SFs surely did a good job.
You're fooling us though: you speak of a cottage as were it a shack, I'd rather call it a large house.
Time to visit you again to hear the new acquisition.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:09 AM

The true sign of a great speaker: sounds good at low volumes. I love that picture of your 20.1's
Hook that sub up today.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:48 AM

On our trip to Audio Classics last summer, my Wife listened to various systems. She had to come home with a pair of Maggie's .7`s. I was very impressed with their performance.
Magnepan 3.7 with modified crossovers.Esoteric A-02. Esoteric C03xs. Esoteric K-03x. Esoteric G-02x. Cary Audio 500.1 Solid State Monoblocks. Cary Audio Tube Preamp. Linn Majik DS Streamer. Linn Fm Tuner. McIntosh 1700 Tuner. TTW Turntable with Jelco ARM Modified 11 inch. Ortofon Quintet Black Cartridge. Aesthetic IO with Single Separate power supply. A pair of JL Audio F113, PS Audio P 10 Power Conditioner. PS Audio Dectet. Ps Audio Power Port Outlets. PS Audio Noise Harvesters. Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 XLR Cables. Gold Eclipse 6 Speaker Cables.Silver Electra 7 Power Cables. GIK acoustics Sound Panels. Omnimount 42 u Rack with AC Infinity fans and controllers. A work in Progress.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:29 PM

Here's a photo of the 1.7i's in place.

Obviously, I am aware that the too-close sofa is blocking some of the sound, but the tweeters are on the inside and are unobstructed. They do sound GOOD.

Also, a picture of my old 20.1's and they are BIGGER

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...1&d=1489249459
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BSCF0521.jpg (95.5 KB, 295 views)

HOME SYSTEM: . . .Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Esoteric K-03 CD/SACD Player, OPPO BDP-105D Darbee BluRay/SACD/CD Player, Olive 4HD Music Server, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, STAX SR-404 Signature Electrostatic Headphones, STAX SRM-727 Headphone Amp, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, Graham Nightingale II or Benz Ruby 3 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. VPI DB-5 "magic bricks", ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System

2ND HOME SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento or Magnepan MG 1.7i Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, Esoteric Modified-X03 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-95 Blu-Ray Player, OPPO SONICA Audiophile DAC & Network Streamer VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Rosewood Platinum Signature -Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI DB-5 "magic bricks", VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables,.

. . . . . .
Old 03-11-2017, 02:09 PM

20.1 is my dream life speaker.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Listener in Training

Julian,
Enjoy those 1.7s and stay warm this weekend!
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura(4) Sonus Faber Homage Vox B&W ASW825 sub Amps: McIntosh MC2301 (2) MC501 (3 - center & rears) Preamp & A/V pre-pro: McIntosh C2500, MX-151 Sources: McIntosh MVP-901 Apple Mac Mini Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm and Da Vinci V2 cartridge RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 03-11-2017, 07:47 PM

add some DWM panels to your smaller 1.7s
Old 03-11-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf-11 View Post
add some DWM panels to your smaller 1.7s
Good suggestion, but I do believe that my JL Audio F-112 will complement the Magnepan's quite nicely. They are at least equal to the Magnepans in speed, and the preliminary testing I conducted with the combo this afternoon indicates that it will do the job well.

Plus, I already own the JL Audio sub. and that is a real plus!

. . . . . .

Last edited by AudioNut; 03-12-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:37 PM
Music & Audio Enthusiast

Julian - nice to see you enjoying the special dipole sound again. I've heard great things about the 1.7i so your thread confirms all the good comments. Next step: update your signature to reflect the Maggie!

Two-Channel System: Oppo BDP-105D or Cambridge Audio CXUHD -> WireWorld Silver Starlight 7 HDMI and Coaxial -> Bryston BDA-3 DAC -> WW Silver Eclipse 7 XLR -> Bent Audio Autoformer Volume Control Passive Line Stage -> WW Silver Eclipse 7 XLR -> Pass Labs XA100.5 monoblocks -> WW Silver Eclipse 7 -> Magnepan 20.7s

Power Distribution: Shunyata Research Hydra Cyclops (for XA100.5s) and Shunyata Research Hydra 4 α (for sources)

Power Cables: Shunyata Research Ξtron Cobra (for Cyclops), Shunyata Research Venom-HC (for XA100.5s and Hydra 4 α), WireWorld Silver Electra 7 (for BDA-3)

Tweaks: GIK Acoustics room treatment, HIFI-Tuning Fuses and Cardas Audio Tweeter + Mid-Range Jumpers on 20.7s, Mye Sound Magnepan speaker stands

Other: PS Audio Power Port outlets, Square D Whole House Surge Protective Device, dedicated 20-ampere lines