AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 05-09-2011, 12:32 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Congratulations, it sounds like a great pairing.

I like the wine name scheme used by Shindo - very classy.

If I start an audio company, I might copy that:

The Chianti - Entry-level EL84-based push-pull amplifier. Lively and on the bright side. Rated 6 on the Delicious Scale.

The Amarone - Deep, dark and rich sounding SET. One sip and you won't be able to stop. Rated 10 on the Delicious Scale - going further might melt the speakers.

The Barolo - Powerful EL34-based push-pull with a rich tone and an hint of sonic tannin. Rated 8 on the Delicious Scale.

Hmmmm, this could be fun - better stop now and get ready for my real job .

Alberto
This is your real job!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-09-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Thank you Stephen,

I was right now writing to the greek importer to ask him the main differences in sound between the Corton Charlemagne EL34 and the Corton 80 ( KT88 ) but really, even made by Shindo, I don't see the point of getting an other KT88 amp...
Yes I listen to EL34 designs before and I always liked them so I think that I should like these monoblocks.
This is a tough question for you but I do ask it anyway : do you think that they could make the EB1i sing for moderate volumes of course ?
Oh and BTW, I don't know why but the Montrachet is more powerful than the Corton : 30 W against 25W
Maybe becuase of the beefier transfos, the Corton is supposed to be more involving and dynamic than the Montrachet according to the greek importer. The Montrachet needs a very well thought system to sing perfectly, like yours indeed.... : this is the opinion of Mr. Batjakis " Montrachet has a low profile character. Gentle and discreet. It needs careful system set-up to deliver.
Corton EL34 presents an exciting perspective to musical reproduction. Beautifully balanced with the immediacy one would expect from a SE amplifier but with the solid foundation of PP. Can be addictive in the right system. One of my favorite amplifiers."
What about the Shindo Corton-Charlemagne Q. It's also base on EL34. Class A, 70W @ 8 ohm.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
What about the Shindo Corton-Charlemagne Q. It's also base on EL34. Class A, 70W @ 8 ohm.
Yes, I saw that one. I think that Mr Batjakis did not talk to me about it because it is rather new and maybe he did not get one yet.
The problem is that I can't hear any of these things before buying.
If they don't match well with my speakers, I will have to sell them.
I will loose less money on a small amp + it will be easier to sell than for an amp costing around 18000 euros ( just a guess, I don't know the price of the Q. The Corton El34 cost 9700 euros taxes included )+ I have already powerful tube amps : I'm looking more for a "small" amp but with a different sound than the 2301's than an other "big" amp. Having 2 pairs of monoblocks in the same system costing around 18000 euros each is a bit "too much" for my beloved wife and even for me !
Old 05-11-2011, 02:12 AM

Damn ! i am so furious.
Midnight yesterday, I was finishing my post and ipad shut down by no more battery ! Lost everything !
I wish Apple could have make a recover like what we have on PC's....

The news are not good for my Shindo wish.
I called the former french importer yesterday.
He told me that I was crazy.
He said
1/ you should listen to them on your speakers before buying
2/ I won't sell them for you if they don't fit because they will be like an illegal importation
3/ Shindo amps are very difficult to match with non Shindo preamps. And your Mc has an opposite sound signature to the Shindo sound. What you plan to do is a non sense. The opposite is true : you can match Shindo preamps with many different amps.( eh eh...maybe I could buy a Monbrison I 'm thinking now....: a bit too complicated to use 2 preamps in the same system...)
4/ after that, he talked to me around 20 minutes about Leben amps. He said they match more easily, they have more power and on the CS660P he suggested, I can try KT66, EL34.... according to my tastes and this way tuning the sound like I want to....)

Of course, he may not be 100% honest since his interest is to sell me something he carries, but this man was the first in France to sell real Hi Fi in a real auditorium. He has a reputation of extremely good service and all the systems I listened to in his shop were always extremely musical. He selects the gear with a great attention.
So I cannot pass away his advice.
The only thing I can say now is that probably, one day, I will really NEED a change of sound. This may be in 1 year or in 10 years or even more.... Who knows ? this day, I will think seriously about a complete Shindo set up, because you my friends, Alberto and Stephen, lighted a fire that will not stop.
But until that day, and you were right Alberto, I WILL STOP TO READ YOUR POSTS ABOUT SHINDO !

Last edited by Jerome W; 05-11-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Damn ! i am so furious.
Midnight yesterday, I was finishing my post and ipad shut down by no more battery ! Lost everything !
I wish Apple could have make a recover like what we have on PC's....

The news are not good for my Shindo wish.
I called the former french importer yesterday.
He told me that I was crazy.
He said
1/ you should listen to them on your speakers before buying
2/ I won't sell them for ypu if they don't fit because they will be like an illegal importation
3/ Shindo amps are very difficult to match with non Shindo preamps. And your Mc has an opposite sound signature to the Shindo sound. What you plan to do is a non sense. The opposite is true : you can match Shindo preamps with many different amps.( eh eh...maybe I could buy a Monbrison I 'm thinking now....: a bit too complicated to use 2 preamps in the same system...)
4/ after that, he talked to me around 20 minutes about Leben amps. He said they match more easily, they have more power and on the CS660P he suggested, I can try KT66, EL34.... according to my tastes and this way tuning the sound like I want to....)

Of course, he may not be 100% honest since his interest is to sell me something he carries, but this man was the first in France to sell real Hi Fi in a real auditorium. He has a reputation of extremely good service and all the systems I listened to in his shop were always extremely musical. He selects the gear with a great attention.
So I cannot pass away his advice.
The only thing I can say now is that probably, one day, I will really NEED a change of sound. This may be in 1 year or in 10 years or even more.... Who knows ? this day, I will think seriously about a complete Shindo set up, because you my friends, Alberto and Stephen, lighted a fire that will not stop.
But until that day, and you were right Alberto, I WILL STOP TO READ YOUR POSTS ABOUT SHINDO !
Jerome,

Your dealer may have some self-interest, but he's also right on many points. The funny thing is that I was going to write to you today suggesting - since you are looking a push-pull amps - a Leben integrated as a possible alternative which may be (I am not sure) ROHS compliant. Shindo and Leben are often discussed together. My Shindo dealer also sells Leben and they look fantastic. I have not auditioned them, but all the reviews I've read point to a sound signature that definitely qualifies as delicious.

When I started my new journey from the McIntosh + Sonus Faber system that gave me many years of pleasure. I had a clear objective of trying something very different - namely low-power, class-A/SET with high-efficiency single-driver (or coax) speakers. I wanted to learn a lot about something new, because I enjoy learning. But this also made a lot of sense for my smallish room and my growing appreciation of delicious over analytical sound. I was fully prepared for the chance that I would not like it and, at a cost of a few thousand $, go back to my previous set up.

I knew that to truly experience this new sound I would need to change pre, amp AND speakers. I also took advantage of fortuitous timing and opportunity to acquire the components at good prices and without much hassle.

Your situation is very different. You are planning to add just an amp to an existing system, and you would have to do it at full retail price and with a lot of hassles (i.e. getting the amp through a dealer in another country.)

Bottom line. If you have the desire to try something new, the Leben CS600 series might have enough power for your speakers - but I am not sure - and it's something you can try with lower risk. Can you get your dealer to arrange an at-home audition of the Leben?

Alberto
Old 05-11-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Jerome,

Your dealer may have some self-interest, but he's also right on many points. The funny thing is that I was going to write to you today suggesting - since you are looking a push-pull amps - a Leben integrated as a possible alternative which may be (I am not sure) ROHS compliant. Shindo and Leben are often discussed together. My Shindo dealer also sells Leben and they look fantastic. I have not auditioned them, but all the reviews I've read point to a sound signature that definitely qualifies as delicious.

When I started my new journey from the McIntosh + Sonus Faber system that gave me many years of pleasure. I had a clear objective of trying something very different - namely low-power, class-A/SET with high-efficiency single-driver (or coax) speakers. I wanted to learn a lot about something new, because I enjoy learning. But this also made a lot of sense for my smallish room and my growing appreciation of delicious over analytical sound. I was fully prepared for the chance that I would not like it and, at a cost of a few thousand $, go back to my previous set up.

I knew that to truly experience this new sound I would need to change pre, amp AND speakers. I also took advantage of fortuitous timing and opportunity to acquire the components at good prices and without much hassle.

Your situation is very different. You are planning to add just an amp to an existing system, and you would have to do it at full retail price and with a lot of hassles (i.e. getting the amp through a dealer in another country.)

Bottom line. If you have the desire to try something new, the Leben CS600 series might have enough power for your speakers - but I am not sure - and it's something you can try with lower risk. Can you get your dealer to arrange an at-home audition of the Leben?

Alberto
Hello Alberto,

This dealer does not want to let his demo components go out but others do.
I could easily find a CS600 or 660 P for an in home demo.
But to tell you the truth, I 'm no more that excited. What I read from Stephen and you about Shindo, and the rare reviews on the web, were more driving me to Shindo. But yes, Leben is RoHS compliant and is largely sold in France.
I think I'm going to arrange an in home audition of the JC Verdier 845 Triode Spirit : SET of 2 x 20 W. Verdier is a kind of Shindo french guy...
Many interesting infos on his site about SET amplifiers.
The pair retails for around 9700 euros = what I would have paid for the Corton, and the factory is 2 miles from my home !
Cheers,