AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 10-31-2017, 06:13 PM

Stephen, still waiting on your Senn vs Oppo shootout.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:57 PM

Side note. The HD650 have been burning in around the clock for the past few days to put the finishing touch on the break in. Since I have 3 headphone amps at the moment, with a few of them connected to the Schiit Gungnir DAC at a time, I will usually listen to one pair and the other is burning in its box. The HD650 make me smile every time I put them on. Very good set for extended listening sessions. Tighter and deeper bass than the HD600 and a slightly more extended top end. Mids are just as smooth and slightly laid back just like the HD600.

Do I hear the "Sennheiser veil" that is often discussed and beaten to death on other forums? Well by comparison to Focal Utopia and Elear, yes... Definitely. It is still a resolving enough set where you are not missing anything, it is just presented in a more laid back, non-fatiguing and forgiving way. It is a great headphone that will take you across hours of various genres of music and recording quality. I don't get tired of them, makes me want to keep listening, way past my bed time.

One little gripe I have with it is that the tension of the headband is just a bit too much. The earpads are a bit stiffer than the HD600 and I feel the pressure on my head more so than the HD600. When I wear the HD600, I often forget they are on my head at all and try to walk away from the computer with the cord still attached.

Last edited by PHC1; 11-07-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:12 PM

I should mention that in my opinion, the Sennheiser Veil has much to do with amplification. It is easy enough to appreciate the difference of Low vs High Gain on both my Bryston BHA-1 and Schiit Valhalla 2 Triode OTL. Both Sennheiser pairs, 600/650 scale up nicely with better amplification and POWER. Switching to High gain on both amps but keeping the volume output relatively the same easily erases most but not all of the veil one may encounter on Low Gain. It puts both amplifiers closer to the Sweet Spot and both Senn's appreciate it and reward me with a clearer sonic picture.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:17 PM

Queensryche. "Remember Now" from the Operation:Mindcrime album. The into seems to create the illusion of images completely outside the headphones. Yes, the HD650 is capable of transparency with good amplification. The Bryston BHA-1 is a very good partnering SS headphone amp for the Senns
Old 09-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Retired

Could not agree more with Serge on the need for 'good' amplification for the HD650. My portable M3s DAP not only needs the volume turned up to ~50 for 'normal' listening, but also drains the battery more quickly due to the HD650's need for power (300ohm & 99dB). They definitely work best with a 'plugged-in' amp rather than a portable. Other than that they are great sounding headphones in the $3-400 category (and higher).
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 09-13-2018, 12:25 PM

Default Agreed. Love my HD650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Could not agree more with Serge on the need for 'good' amplification for the HD650. My portable M3s DAP not only needs the volume turned up to ~50 for 'normal' listening, but also drains the battery more quickly due to the HD650's need for power (300ohm & 99dB). They definitely work best with a 'plugged-in' amp rather than a portable. Other than that they are great sounding headphones in the $3-400 category (and higher).
+1
Old 09-13-2018, 03:12 PM

Tubes is where it is at with the Sennheiser 300 ohm headphones.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:25 AM
Member of the Music Squad

I decided to go with the HD650s as a first venture into the Sennheiser world of headphones

Will wait for break in (100+ hrs?) before forming a more precise opinion, and see how they contrast vs. the AQ NightHawks and Audeze LCD2s.

Next in line will be a matching tube amp, for a different taste to the Burson V2+, likely a Woo Audio following some good advices from Tony and Serge
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 12-31-2020, 08:39 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post
I decided to go with the HD650s as a first venture into the Sennheiser world of headphones

Will wait for break in (100+ hrs?) before forming a more precise opinion, and see how they contrast vs. the AQ NightHawks and Audeze LCD2s.

Next in line will be a matching tube amp, for a different taste to the Burson V2+, likely a Woo Audio following some good advices from Tony and Serge

Joel, looking forward to your experience with the HD650!
I have these cans since 2005.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-31-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post

Joel, great choice. I liked the HD650 although ultimately kept the HD600 due to a slightly more comfortable feel/less pressure from the headband. Presentation wise the HD650 has a bit more bass presence and a slight dip in the presence and brilliance region. So overall a slightly darker and weightier presentation over the HD600.

If you find the clamping force HD650 too much for your head, you can carefully keep flexing the band back and forth to relax it a bit.

Tubes is definitely where the magic will be with the HD650/600. I strongly suggest the SET with OTL topology for total nirvana. I've been mesmerized by the SET/OTL.

So the WOO WA2 is such a design for 300 ohm headphones.

The other choice and one I spent many, many years and countless hours with is:

In Europe, I think you should be able to easily find the German made EARMAX-PRO Headphone-Amplifier by Brocksieper.

That is the E88CC/6922 based SET/OTL based design. That is tube magic like nothing else... Although slightly limited in terms of absolute SPL you can achieve from the small tubes without an output transformer... More than enough for reasonable listening levels though. I highly suggest it and it is not very expensive.

https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/ear...by-brocksieper

Last edited by PHC1; 12-31-2020 at 11:47 AM.