AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Denon

Denon Innovator of Digital Audio Technology

Old 09-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Against the Tide

Default Denon Releases a 9.3 Channel A/V Receiver

Denon Releases a 9.3 Channel A/V Receiver Home Theater News AV Receiver News Written by AVRev.com Thursday, 17 September 2009

Settling for the 9.2 channels in Onkyo’s Double-0 series would just be silly, so Denon has launched their new 9.3 channel AVR-4810CI. The second AVR to feature Audyssey DSX post processing technology, the 4810CI is packed with features. In addition to being DNLA compliant, the new receiver sports Pro Logic IIz, adding a vertical component to sound.
Also included is streaming capability from both networked PCs and internet services such as Rhapsody and Napster via a Wi-Fi connection. If that isn’t enough, there is also a pair of AM/FM tuners, one of which supports HD Radio. Picture and sound quality are helped along by a trio of 32-bit floating point processors, and a variety of included technologies such as Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ. The AVR boasts 140W of power over 9 channels, which are can be sent out digitally or through the eight channel stereo analog outputs.

The Denon AVR-4810CI features Anchor Bay upscaling which takes standard definition analog signals and converts them into 1080/24p HDMI signals to be sent out. Denon’s AVR-4810CI ships in October and will sell for $2,999.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipschfan View Post
Denon Releases a 9.3 Channel A/V Receiver Home Theater News AV Receiver News Written by AVRev.com Thursday, 17 September 2009

Settling for the 9.2 channels in Onkyo’s Double-0 series would just be silly, so Denon has launched their new 9.3 channel AVR-4810CI. The second AVR to feature Audyssey DSX post processing technology, the 4810CI is packed with features. In addition to being DNLA compliant, the new receiver sports Pro Logic IIz, adding a vertical component to sound.
Also included is streaming capability from both networked PCs and internet services such as Rhapsody and Napster via a Wi-Fi connection. If that isn’t enough, there is also a pair of AM/FM tuners, one of which supports HD Radio. Picture and sound quality are helped along by a trio of 32-bit floating point processors, and a variety of included technologies such as Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ. The AVR boasts 140W of power over 9 channels, which are can be sent out digitally or through the eight channel stereo analog outputs.

The Denon AVR-4810CI features Anchor Bay upscaling which takes standard definition analog signals and converts them into 1080/24p HDMI signals to be sent out. Denon’s AVR-4810CI ships in October and will sell for $2,999.
Mine just arrived 1/2 hour ago.

I suppose I should buy two more subwoofers. The reasons I upgraded were HDMI switching, new Dolby IIz, wifi for internet radio and DLNA, HD radio, and more power than my last Denon. Not sure when I'll try the new overhead/height channels. I wonder what the inside of the ship sounds like in Master & Commander with those height channels...
Old 11-05-2009, 11:01 PM

Wow!!! What doesn't it do????
Old 11-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Yer Deity fer dis evenin'

Sounds great! But how much software is out there for 9.3??
Old 11-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Merry Christmas to all

scluer........Do you have your new Denon AVR-4810CI set up yet? What are your impressions of the performance?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-13-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
scluer........Do you have your new Denon AVR-4810CI set up yet? What are your impressions of the performance?
I had a thorough and detailed review typed up and lost it.

For music, this ain't no McIntosh or Krell. However, it is an excellent preamp for my McIntosh amp and the processor is phenomenal.

The Audyssey setup system is simple to use and really works well, my room is angled, with tv, components, fronts/centers in a corner pointing diagonally into the room, and Audyssey really dialed in the acoustics, way better than my previous Denon. Audyssey | Sound Ideas

I like that I can easily set a different crossover/cutoff frequency to the subwoofer to individual values for each channel (front/center/surrounds). I'm currently setup with 60Hz for the front Klipsch RF-7's and 80Hz for the center and surrounds, even though the center is large reference Klipsch, center channel is the work horse.

The surrounds with Dolby PLIIz are way more detailed, for example glass breaking behind you is very detailed. I'm actually not sure if the detail is because of the extra power at 140WPC, better quality than my previous Denon, or PLIIz, but I noticed it immediately. I have not tried the height channels yet but will as soon as I buy two new bookshelf spkrs.

Wifi works great, did a firmware update and it appeared that several checksum/safety checks were in place to make sure the unit didn't end up a brick/anchor. My wifi router is upstairs, the unit is downstairs, wrapping around walls and other obstacles, it worked perfectly.

I really really like the built in HD Radio, all of my favorite local channels have an HD equivalent, music does sound like CD quality with most of the stations and even better than CD quality with some of the stations.

I have seen no flaws with the HDMI switching, handles my ps3, bluray, denon dvd, and cable sources to Sony Bravia 52" perfectly, picture is crisp and clean. I think they replaced the Faroudja processor with Anchor Bay. The only thing the HDMI won't handle is the SACD which is analog ext 5.1.

This unit does a much better job of telling you what the audio source is, how the audio is being processed out, and what video mode it's upscaling to.

Menu and configuration response as you change options is immediate, I assume because of the 3 processors it has.

It runs way hotter than my previous Denon, need to buy some sort of cooling. The reseller said this is to be expected because "Denon replaced unreliable transformers with these hotter running ones for reliability". Sounds like bs to me, but worst case I buy a new one in a few years. I'm starting to think of processors as computers, you need to upgrade every couple of years to keep up with the technology. I would not run this in a tight or enclosed cabinet space, mine has 5" clearance on top and both sides, back is wide open and I'm still going to add an exhaust fan from the unit.

I'll try to follow up with the height channel observations shortly.

Edit: other small things...it has two remotes, so the one that lights up doesn't chew through batteries. With a USB port in front for an iPod dock, the iPod menu is supposed to show up on the television. There's also an HDMI port in front. It comes with standard FM/AM antennas, HD FM/AM antennas, and a nice wifi antenna.

Last edited by scluer; 11-13-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Favog View Post
Sounds great! But how much software is out there for 9.3??
From what I've read, the two new height channels are extrapolated from the existing 5.1 or 7.1 signal, it's not a separate track like LFE.

But in 2002, Dolby premiered a master of We Were Soldiers which featured a Sonic Whole Overhead Sound soundtrack. This mix included a new ceiling-mounted height channel. So maybe it will handle both.

The dot 3 let's you configure a subwoofer for each channel (front/center/surrounds), to give a more dynamic bass experience.

I've read this thing can be reassigned to do 9.1 and 11.1 too, I think you need an external amp for the fronts to accomplish 11.1. It only has nine 140WPC amplifiers in it. I would guess this would be for a long viewing room configuration where somebody wants to go crazy with the side channels.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Merry Christmas to all

scluer.......Thanks for the update. The Denon AVR-4810CI sounds like a processing powerhouse.

It is interesting that you mentioned extrapolated channels, since that is the way a large number of the 7.1 channel sound tracks have been created from the original 5.1 channels sound tracks. I find it interesting to ponder about how many more channels of signal processing, amplifiers, speakers, and subwoofers manufacturers hope to get the geneal public to buy.

My 5.1 channel HT system provides a completely convincing, thoroughly envolving experience. I will probably be the last one to ever add two, three, or four more channels, plus additional subs to my home theater. 5.1 channels does it just fine for me.

I am waiting on the industry to develop the brain chip implant that will allow a person to wirelesly download a movie that puts you directly into the action, with visual and auditory experiences on par with the wildest dream you've ever experienced. You won't be watching anything, you will live it, being completely and utterly immersed, body and mind. When the flick is over you will be returned to your normal self, sitting in your favorite recliner, until you are ready for the next download experience. No screen, no amps, no speakers, no subwoofers, and no wires will be required. The McChip implant will do it all in the neurons of the brain, powering itself totally from body heat. The ultimate home theater will not be in your room, it will be in your mind.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 11-14-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:32 PM

I don't see the point of adding more channels. Most people don't even have 5.1 setup.

Preamps/tuners:McIntosh C50, C46, MR88, MR73, C2200, C22ce, Cary SPL-98L
Integrate amps:McIntosh MA6100, Denon PMA2000ivr
Amps: McIntosh Mc602, Mc2000, Mc275 MK-V, Cary 805ae mono blocks.
Speakers: JMLab Mezzo Utopia, Focal Twin6 BE, Tannoy Mini Autograph
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, AKG K701, and many many more
Digital Sources:Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es, CDP-XA7es, 2010 Mac Mini Music Server, Amarra Mini player, Musical Fidelity V-Link & M1 DAC, Apogee Mini-DAC & Duet 2
Old 11-14-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
scluer.......Thanks for the update. The Denon AVR-4810CI sounds like a processing powerhouse.

It is interesting that you mentioned extrapolated channels, since that is the way a large number of the 7.1 channel sound tracks have been created from the original 5.1 channels sound tracks. I find it interesting to ponder about how many more channels of signal processing, amplifiers, speakers, and subwoofers manufacturers hope to get the geneal public to buy.

My 5.1 channel HT system provides a completely convincing, thoroughly envolving experience. I will probably be the last one to ever add two, three, or four more channels, plus additional subs to my home theater. 5.1 channels does it just fine for me.

I am waiting on the industry to develop the brain chip implant that will allow a person to wirelesly download a movie that puts you dirctly into the action, with visual and auditory experiences on par with the wildest dream you've ever experienced. You won't be watching anything, you will live it, being completely and utterly immersed, body and mind. When the flick is over you will be returned to your normal self, sitting in your favorite recliner, until you are ready for the next download experience. No screen, no amps, no speakers, no subwoofers, and no wires will be required. The McChip implant will do it all in the neurons of the brain, powering itself totally from body heat. The ultimate home theater will not be in your room, it will be in your mind.
From my reading, I get the sense that Denon was marketing this unit to handle any sized and oriented room. 5.1/7.1 is also perfect for my room, but I've seen home theatre build outs that could use the flexibility of this unit. It really makes a statement in terms of flexibility at a reasonably low price.

The McChip is a fine idea and further evidence that processors are literally personal computers that should be updated frequently.

In my original review I detailed the surround performance, let me try to be more specific.

My previous unit was a Denon 3805 which ran Dolby PLIIx at 120WPC with an MSRP around $1200. This one is Dolby PLIIz at 140WPC with an MSRP of $3000. So with upgrades of power, quality, and Dolby processor, my observations are:

1. The surrounds produce more content
2. That content has more detail
3. The details are more distinct between spkr channels

I'm going to assume that PLIIz has a positive affect on, or is the cause of all three. Power and quality probably affect #2 and #3. Remember the first time you listened to your favorite music tracks on your first McIntosh and said "I've never heard that before". That's what this unit does to your surrounds. At least, that is my observation. Somebody with a Mc processor needs to do a a/b comparison to determine if the difference is indeed PLIIx -> PLIIz or simply quality and power.

Can somebody overnight one of these new Denon's to jdandy so we can gather more observation on PLIIx -> PLIIz please? Ivan must have one sitting in a warehouse in FLA? Many thanks for any assistance.