AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Old 06-24-2016, 12:21 PM

I received the new base from Revel yesterday, quite good service I'd say. It came as a very well packaged kit including the base (solid, beautifully finished) new fasteners, and four "pedestals" that replace the existing ones and some registration pins that assure the pedestals are in perfect alignment to the main speaker body and base.

I removed the existing base by the simple expedient of backing the screws out. I then aligned the registration pins of the new pedestals with the new base and drove the fasteners home into the body of the speaker. I torqued them criss-cross, the same as I would if I was torquing down a head after replacing a gasket. I then installed the spikes since the speaker was already on its side. Easy peasy.

An interesting spect of Revel's design is that the "round pedestals" aren't round. They're tear drop shaped with the round portion facing out. That gives the base to speaker interface more bearing area, but you can't easily tell just by looking. Clever.

Here are the newly installed spikes.

I wasn't sure what exact differences I'd hear once the speakers were anchored by spikes, but not surprisingly, the benefits were just as obvious if not more so in the vocal/midrange area as they were in the bass. These are subtle but noticeable improvements. Or maybe, it's just in my head!

Either way, I am obviously not able to say enough good about how marvelously smooth, fast and fluid these speakers are. Thoroughly satisfying and they reflect every improvement you make.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:43 PM

Great to see and hear! My order is officially in and paid for. Looking for delivery at the end of June!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 06-24-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I received the new base from Revel yesterday, quite good service I'd say. It came as a very well packaged kit including the base (solid, beautifully finished) new fasteners, and four "pedestals" that replace the existing ones and some registration pins that assure the pedestals are in perfect alignment to the main speaker body and base.

I removed the existing base by the simple expedient of backing the screws out. I then aligned the registration pins of the new pedestals with the new base and drove the fasteners home into the body of the speaker. I torqued them criss-cross, the same as I would if I was torquing down a head after replacing a gasket. I then installed the spikes since the speaker was already on its side. Easy peasy.

An interesting spect of Revel's design is that the "round pedestals" aren't round. They're tear drop shaped with the round portion facing out. That gives the base to speaker interface more bearing area, but you can't easily tell just by looking. Clever.

Here are the newly installed spikes.

I wasn't sure what exact differences I'd hear once the speakers were anchored by spikes, but not surprisingly, the benefits were just as obvious if not more so in the vocal/midrange area as they were in the bass. These are subtle but noticeable improvements. Or maybe, it's just in my head!

Either way, I am obviously not able to say enough good about how marvelously smooth, fast and fluid these speakers are. Thoroughly satisfying and they reflect every improvement you make.
Just in time for the weekend!!!!
Old 06-24-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Great to see and hear! My order is officially in and paid for. Looking for delivery at the end of June!
Excellent and exciting! I trust you'll love yours as I do mine. Which finish did you order? Photos and details as you have them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio View Post
Just in time for the weekend!!!!
Huzzah!
Old 06-24-2016, 03:36 PM

Lew, I notice you had a tap and die set on the floor, did you still have to 'chase' the threads on the new base ?
Old 06-24-2016, 04:14 PM

I noticed a significant improvement when I finally spiked my Salon2s. Everything seemed to snap in place, bass midbass seemed to be a bit more focused.

I wish I didn't wait so long to spike them!
Old 06-24-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Excellent and exciting! I trust you'll love yours as I do mine. Which finish did you order? Photos and details as you have them! Huzzah!
What speakers are you replacing?
Old 06-24-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post
I noticed a significant improvement when I finally spiked my Salon2s. Everything seemed to snap in place, bass midbass seemed to be a bit more focused.

I wish I didn't wait so long to spike them!
I was eager to get them planted so I only waited long enough to be sure I was happy with their location. The only setback was the defective inserts.

Yes Pete, it has tightened up the sound a bit but they were pretty sweet already. I seem to be enjoying an improved voice presentation as well as the tight bass these things are so highly regarded for. In my room though, placement is pretty critical. A few inches one way or another seems to make a real difference.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
Lew, I notice you had a tap and die set on the floor, did you still have to 'chase' the threads on the new base ?
Dave, they slid right in, perfectly well machined. What you see is my Proxxon travel kit, a precision German made drive set. I use it for motorcycle travel, but it's handy when I want to use good tools (for up to 17mm bolt heads). I just grab it and have everything I need. I'm not a terrible mechanic but I still can't look at bolt heads and know with certainty that I've selected the right socket. With the Proxxon set, I don't have to.

I was going to tap them but decided not to when I couldn't even get the tap started (while on the speaker) because of the slag on the first threads. Had I realized how easy it was to remove the base, I could have tapped them in my shop but by that time I'd already contacted Revel and a new base was on its way. That was really an altogether happier solution in any case.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post
What speakers are you replacing?
I think this is addressed to Dave (Mikado?). I replaced my Revels (208s) with Revels....but I think you know that.