AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 04-24-2017, 11:50 PM

I have gone down the more powaaa route a long time ago with a souped up Evo8MR with HKS turbo kit, upgraded brakes and Ohlins suspension and aero/body kit from Test and Service's racecar team. Then a GTR R35 which basically told me power wasn't everything when I no longer had balls of steel. Age must have done a number on them

These days, especially down under, I have rediscovered the joy of driving a "fun" car without breaking (too many) speed limits. A drive on the mountain passes here, some of which have 80km/h speed limits and a steep drop on one side tests the limits of my ability and balls. A couple of years ago, I got a tiny Fiesta ST and I rediscovered the joys of driving. My daily commute which starts off peak, means I get to do some fun roundabouts on the back roads that get the rear to step out. The manual box also meant much better involvement.

I would have liked something like a Cayman R in manual but these are getting rarer by the minute and most of the 2012+ Cayman S in manual have all but disappeared on the second hand market since they went boxer4 turbos - worse because most Porker drivers don't choose the Spanish (Manuel) version in the first place

A friend of mine had just sold his car a month ago and was going to test drive a couple of cars (CLA45, RS3 and M2) and I offered to give him a ride. BAD Mistake on my part

The M2 was not what I was expecting. I was expecting the turbocharger to dull the feel of the car but was pleasantly surprised it wasn't the case. I think being down on power, the 3.0l engine actually feels more revvy and it feels rewarding to rev it up to redline - not something you would expect in a TC car. Where it feels amazing on the test drive was how beautifully the car handled corners. The seating position was perfect to me - I didn't notice how they apparently tilted the seat sideways. Low down and perfect like most BMW cars, especially the M and all the controls (the pedals, the gear knob, the wheels) just feel intuitive and like an extension of your body. I only test drove the DCT so I am hoping the stick is even more involving.

My friend ended up ordering the M2 DCT in mineral grey and I ended up getting the missus a 125i M Sport in Estoril Blue. Prices are higher in Australia compared to the US - but they did a decent trade (for Queensland) and it comes standard with the nice M Sports suspension and M brakes (same as M2 apparently) and LED headlights, Alcantara/cloth seats etc. But its hard to ignore the itch of the real M. So Long Beach Blue

I was told that for a fresh new build, it may take 6 months to arrive but BMW Australia dealers now "book" slots in advance and trade build slots between themselves so they can always get one in for the customer. My friends M2 which was ordered end March has now finished assembly and should be off to the shipping company in a couple of weeks so he should get his car in June.

I was contemplating waiting for 2018 model - rumours are it will get LED lights instead of HID and revised bumpers front and rear.

To be honest, I kinda like the look of the M2 now. Like a determined little bulldog.

There's also talk that the facelift (LCI) model with have a detuned S55 M3/M4 engine since the older N55 engine with reinforced parts from the M3/M4 in the current M2 is being phased out (due to emissions). And also two new variants - a CS (ClubSport) and a GTS with higher tune.

But I don't know if I want to wait this long.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:31 PM

My Boss has ordered an M2- due to arrive any day.

He does not have a good history with BMW's as he is an Audi Man, usually buys a new Audi RS6 every year- but he has been smitten by the new BMW M2 looks- how long it will last with him is anybody's guess.

He owned a M5, it was awful (probably the worst automatic gearbox known to man- it literally 'clanked' driving around town) and he sold it 3 months later- a big BMW SUV lasted a record 2 weeks, he has also owned 3 or so BMW M3s, but they never last 6 months.

His wife on the other hand, loves her BMW M3 & wont part with it!!

Ill post photos when his M2 is delivered.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:55 AM

So,Long Beach Blue in manual.
You couldn't do better.
If you have time,post an update after you've had the car a while.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:58 AM

Default Bmw m2

Not the M2 but my wife's Estoril Blue 125i M Sport was just delivered today. Love the LED headlights.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:58 PM

The M2 is a great car. Looks good, handles great, plenty of power and torque. It is a true driving machine. (There is one in the garage).
Old 04-26-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
While I like the new M2, saw a nice blue one @ our local coffee & cars, it, like the rest of the 'M' cars are not really performing up to their respective price points..........case in point, with what a new M2 cost's you can buy a Camaro SS 1LE (LT1) and it will eats it's lunch in every aspect of performance ..... and do the same to the M3, with $$ left in your pocket for a nice vacation.
True by all accounts.
We now live in a world where Camaros and Mustangs are considered sports cars and ones that are performing at very high level. Whoda thunk?

__"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" apparently not Winston Churchill
_
Old 04-26-2017, 08:03 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

I still miss my E46 M3 convertible.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 04-26-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
While I like the new M2, saw a nice blue one @ our local coffee & cars, it, like the rest of the 'M' cars are not really performing up to their respective price points..........case in point, with what a new M2 cost's you can buy a Camaro SS 1LE (LT1) and it will eats it's lunch in every aspect of performance ..... and do the same to the M3, with $$ left in your pocket for a nice vacation.

I am not sure that folks looking at the Camaro will be also looking at the M2 and vice-versa. The new Camaros and American muscle cars have come a long way but I think it will still be a while before there is cross shopping amongst those looking at those vehicles.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:45 PM

True, snob appeal is always a factor.

Actually, I've always called it "the POO factor".
I know that it doesn't have a good connotation, but it stands for Pride Of Ownership.

__"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" apparently not Winston Churchill
_
Old 04-29-2017, 11:32 PM

I don't think it's just a snob factor.

I've always liked Japanese sports cars for bang for the buck too.

But there's something that companies like BMW and Porsche do that really show how much they understand sports driving.

When you sit in and drive a car like a Porsche Boxster S when the car feels like an extension of your body. The way the car rotates around you. The position where you sit is perfect and everything is just where it should be. The car behaves like it is telepathic.

The other day I stepped back into my Ford Fiesta ST after driving in my wife's 125i M Sport and it was weird how it felt like I was sitting on stilts. And that's not even a proper M car. The ST is a properly fun car to drive too but it was only when I was driving them back to back that I noticed simple little things like that.

Ps is it weird that they tout the M2 as the smallest fun M car and that damn thing is wider and longer than my old Tiguan!!!