AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-14-2015, 01:45 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

If I was in the market I'd buy the MCT450 transport and D150. DAC technology has changed over the past 5 years. Trasport that's built like a tank at 26lbs that might be the last CD spinner anyone will need. I have the D100 DAC preamp and it is very good so I assume the D150 is its equal.

Went to a super Best Buy this morning and when I looked at the CD department I wasn't surprised at how small its become. Five years ago this same store had row after row of CDs and now its reduced to one small area. They had 2 or 3 times the space for LPs!!

More and better DACs and downloading high resolution music
Old 03-14-2015, 02:25 PM

I understand the rationale for buying the transport and pairing it with new and improved DAC's...I just happen to love the synergy I get between my 452 amp and my 1100...the ability to link them together and of course the incredible performance the pair gives me along with my B&W 802's!In terms of the number of CD's out there i have no problem finding CD's on Amazon and other sites and do not expect i will anytime in the near future!
Old 03-14-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbrach View Post
i have no problem finding CD's on Amazon and other sites and do not expect i will anytime in the near future!
Bingo!

Millions upon millions of new and used CDs out there. Same can be said for vinyl. The 31 Flavours of music are easily found particularly with Boutique record shops [new/use]. And for those shops that are thriving mostly serve up all the flavours. I even see cassette tape and the occasional 8-track.

More recently, I popped over to the UK, Italy, Alaska and Canada and found ample supply - purchased, shipped with VAT stripped. My next holiday adventure is to jump over to Chili and find my way to Antarctica - I'll let you know with photos if I find anything there!

Also, last year, when I went to Comic-Con in San Diego, I found all flavours and purchased both CD and Vinyl and the vendor cheerfully mailed the product home. Though, when I went to C2E2 Chicago, I didn't look - forgot. But in any case. The product isn't disappearing anytime soon. Though, perhaps, it just doesn't make sense for big box stores to carry the inventory.

*Rumor and not factual basis, is cassette perhaps making a niche market come-back?

Last edited by Golucid; 03-14-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:03 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbrach View Post
I understand the rationale for buying the transport and pairing it with new and improved DAC's...I just happen to love the synergy I get between my 452 amp and my 1100...the ability to link them together and of course the incredible performance the pair gives me along with my B&W 802's!In terms of the number of CD's out there i have no problem finding CD's on Amazon and other sites and do not expect i will anytime in the near future!
The 1100 is a great spinner no doubt about it!!
Old 07-24-2017, 08:01 PM

Judging by this thread, it appears that a controlled comparison of the MCD1100 and MCD550 was never posted here (unless a comparison was archived). I have not had an opportunity to perform the comparison, but I can post that after a two month period, my sample of the MCD550 sounds just lovely with RBCDs and SACDs, and it is beautifully assembled. I hasten to add that: (1) there is a 'burn in' period for the 550; and (2) the sonic result can strongly depend on the choice of interconnects (balanced, of course). I am sure either unit will give its owner years of musical enjoyment.

Additional experiences?

Respectfully.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Bubeck; 07-24-2017 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Add sentence.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoak View Post
I recommend getting the MCT450 and using the McIntosh DIN to transfer the digital signal to a McIntosh DAC. That way you decouple your spinner from DAC. Would literally be the last spinner you would ever buy, but you are free to upgrade the DAC at any time.
Yes. One can do the same with the MCD550, as well, if one wishes to do so. I am presently doing just this to obtain an alternate 'presentation' using the DAC in my C2500. The spinners in the MCT450 and MCD550 are, for all intents and purposes, identical.

Happy listening.

Last edited by Bob Bubeck; 07-24-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bubeck View Post
Yes. One can do the same with the MCD550, as well, if one wishes to do so. I am presently doing just this to obtain an alternate 'presentation' using the DAC in my C2500. The spinners in the MCT450 and MCD550 are, for all intents and purposes, identical.

Happy listening.
Agreed. MCT450 is a lot cheaper though.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoak View Post
Agreed. MCT450 is a lot cheaper though.
Less money. Less features. Agreed.

However, back to my question. The MCD1100 is/was a benchmark piece. It would be of interest to know how the MCD550 (and, by extension, the MCT450 with a similar DAC) compared to this benchmark. That's how this thread started . If the MCD550 is equal to (or better than) the MCD1100 for much less money, that would be (would have been) real news.

Respectfully,

Bob
Old 07-29-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Less money. Less features. Agreed.

However, back to my question. The MCD1100 is/was a benchmark piece. It would be of interest to know how the MCD550 (and, by extension, the MCT450 with a similar DAC) compared to this benchmark. That's how this thread started . If the MCD550 is equal to (or better than) the MCD1100 for much less money, that would be (would have been) real news.

Respectfully,

Bob
Two older posts:
https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...0&postcount=70
https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...6&postcount=78
Old 07-29-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
The spinners in the MCT450 and MCD550 are, for all intents and purposes, identical.
MCT450 has a premium aluminum die cast CD tray. MCD550 has a plastic CD tray.

Last edited by xv21; 07-29-2017 at 02:28 PM.