AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-15-2017, 07:53 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguru View Post
First and foremost, I would like to thank all of the AudioAficionado members of this Mcintosh forum, whose comments and discussions have been fascinating to read, and have helped invaluably in the selection process of the equipment for my system. I shall endeavor to return the favor, and hopefully help others with some of my experiences and learnings that I have picked up so far on this fascinating journey!
Not intentionally TC'ing here, but 8 years ago Ivan's foresight started AA and so, yes collectively the AA family is glad to help anyone, regardless of equipment preference with their journey into this hobby.

BTW, when your MC2301's/C1100 get hungry, my tube menu will satisfy.

Best Sir & you've amassed a very nice system. Welcome aboard.

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:39 AM

Thank you Bob!

It has been so interesting to compare & contrast the 601 with the 2301's. I appreciate the ease of use with the 601 and not having to worry about things like tube warm up, tube lifespan, replacement, etc. But...when it comes down to sonic performance - at least to my ears - there is something magical about the 2301's. They lift an additional veil to the music and bring out imagining and articulation in my favorite recordings that I have just not yet heard from my 601's. There seems to be a higher degree of "attack" with the 2301's on transients - which surprised me - as they are rated 300 watts vs. the 601's 600 watts. Although I must caveat this by saying my 601's are not yet broken in, having only about 10 hours on them at this point. But while I think about this, I only have about 50 hours on the 2301s, so they may not be fully broken in yet either!
Old 08-18-2017, 03:57 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

An addition to my 601s

Been playing around with the new c1100 the past couple days. Amazing! Simply amazing! right out of the box. Will do some tube rolling after a couple weeks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2960.jpg (87.4 KB, 293 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 08-18-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: enlarge photo
Old 08-18-2017, 11:45 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

C1100 is real keeper! Made for the 601s. Next stop D1100.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2967.jpg (93.0 KB, 246 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 08-29-2017 at 07:49 AM. Reason: enlarge photo
Old 08-19-2017, 01:27 AM

Beautiful...Simply beautiful JBT.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
That's convenient for sure. What's the turn around time for the lug replacement?

Best Sir,

Bob

Awesome service... A rep from the distributor picked up my amp on his way to work and dropped it off the same day on his way home! Fantastic [emoji106] That's the kind of company I want to give my business to!
Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables

Old 08-22-2017, 11:43 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxthx View Post
Awesome service... A rep from the distributor picked up my amp on his way to work and dropped it off the same day on his way home! Fantastic [emoji106] That's the kind of company I want to give my business to!
Trevor.......That is great to hear. It doesn't get any better than that.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-29-2017, 04:26 AM

Finally got my platforms today which was underwhelming as something is missing! It feels like I have purchased a car without any wheels!

Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables

Old 08-29-2017, 09:03 AM
From the BAT cave ...

It's a blessing in disguise. Put some Stillpoints between the amps and the bases - you can thank me later.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguru View Post
It would be my honor to join the "601" club. My very first serious amp - and when I became a lifelong Mcintosh fan - was the Charlie Randall designed MC352, which I purchased brand new in 2004 with my hard earned savings, having recently graduated and getting my first job out of school. What a sweet sounding amp that was. At the start of 2017 I decided it was time for me to start building my dream 2 channel system. I had recently completed some renovations to my basement, effectively creating 2 fairly large rooms - the first a playroom for the kids (WAF ), and the second a "man cave" for Dad. At that time the dream of the "Sound Room" took flight. I wanted to make it a no compromise design as much as possible in terms of the equipment selected , that is, as much as my budget and WAF would allow for! So over the past few months, I have been researching, educating myself, performing a ton of critical listening, and just basically having a heck of a lot of fun going through the process of selecting the right pieces of gear for my 2 channel Sound Room! I'm not quite at the finish line yet, but I think I have made some great progress to finding my own unique sonic bliss. First and foremost, I would like to thank all of the AudioAficionado members of this Mcintosh forum, whose comments and discussions have been fascinating to read, and have helped invaluably in the selection process of the equipment for my system. I shall endeavor to return the favor, and hopefully help others with some of my experiences and learnings that I have picked up so far on this fascinating journey!

Oh my! I had no idea the 2301's made the 601's look so small! I hope to hear a pair someday!