AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 08-04-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wklie View Post
That's not correct. N-05 operates exactly like a Lumin. You can even use Lumin app to control it, in addition to Esoteric Sound Stream app - manual is here:

http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esot...am_OM_E_vA.pdf

Concise version:
http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-app.html

You don't need a computer to use N-05 or N-01 or TEAC NR-7CD. You do need an iPad to browse album and control these models for network streaming, and a NAS running MinimServer is highly recommended. (For people who do not want to deal with NAS, there's also Lumin L1 2TB that acts as a zero-configuration library.) Tidal and Qobuz (Hi-Res included) are natively supported by these models and the app. They do not rely on a computer for access to Tidal / Qobuz.

Thanks for the clarification wklie.

I read your post that the Esoteric N-05 via coax will not pass 24bit MQA (if used as a MQA dac once the firmware) upgrade is available.

This means that using the Esoterics with digital coax in will not allow MQA's 1st decoding by tidal and limited to using it's inbuild streaming oe via usb.

Is this accurate which has to to with how the circuits work?

Reason i am asking is that i also have a NAD M50.2 and plan to possibly use it as a transport and also a tidals streamer to the Esoteric MQA dacs via coax output. It seems that the inbuild tidal streaming in the Esoteric may sound less warm but clearer than using an external streamer to stream tidal.

Thanks

Last edited by justubes; 08-04-2017 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:01 AM

The N-05/N-01 features 35bit processing by way of a FPGA decoder/processor and the highlights is that it would be one of few MQA certified players combined with a dac around.

With regards to it as a tidal / full MQA decoder streamer, MQA by itself is only limited to 24bit rates, this means owners will be able to stream full MQA decoded at 24bit which is lower than file playback at 35bit.

Seems to be at a loss adopting MQA for streaming, hmmm!

Would regular streams (non MQA) through tidal or NAS therefore sound better than MQA!
Old 08-04-2017, 11:13 AM

It is likely that the future MQA decoding upgrade on Esoteric N series will only work with network input (for NAS and native Tidal) and USB storage, not via coax or USB DAC input. If you use the USB DAC input, you can use Tidal desktop app or Audirvana for MQA Core decoding (unfold to 88.2/96kHz).

If you're convinced you don't like the built-in network streaming of N-05 and is determined to add another network transport, then perhaps you should consider K-05X with the SACD transport instead.

Sound quality is not simply measured by a number. You should hear and determine for yourself whether it is better or worse for you in your setup.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:12 PM

It great to have your knowledge here and as i feel, like other, is that Esoteric is coming out with too many products, excellent products though, but unfortunately to me, not well thought out or solutions to existing users.

Many, like myslf have already invested in a K01x or D02x in which not long after a K1 which is technically superior and already said to better both these previous top machines at their respective price ranges in the Esoteric lineup.

The N01 is esentially a K1 sans transport mechanism and many have already invested in a streamer solution, like Lumins, Aurenders like myself. With MQA decoding, this looks to be an excellent and promising product in all.

A year or 2, just too late to now have to reset up the N01 with a disc player and nas would look to be a right step towards a great setup, but it also means, for me at least, having to dump out 2 pieces of equipment and not to mention the ains and careful execution and setting up... i would not expect the N01 to synergise or plainly fit in a system without some painstaking re-tuning, changing of cables, isolation ets etc.

My thoughts was initially to order one and use the N01 possibly just as a MQA dac in the event the sonics of streaming direct as you have suggested did not synergise with my setups and as i personally do not like usb connection as i hear traces of digititis i find over coax or xlr.

It would be a pity if Esoteric didnt plan the N01 to be more futureproof designing it from bottom up as a MQA dac allowing the various digital connections, at least that since the direction of MQA may be deemed unclear would be good to have as many other big name dacs have already started to show up.

I will take your advise and will demo it first if there is a demo unit to test out how its direct streaming sound, the N05 is said to be leaner or more neutral sound sounding than Aurenders and Lumins etc, so following this may pose challenging replacing those units with the Esoteric streamer.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:33 PM

The fact that Esoteric doesn't launch a dedicated Server is because, just my opinion, they don't has still a good technology on that line components.
Why they made dedicated transports and don't made dedicated streamers?
Old 08-04-2017, 03:33 PM

Default New N-01 top network player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
The fact that Esoteric doesn't launch a dedicated Server is because, just my opinion, they don't has still a good technology on that line components.
Why they made dedicated transports and don't made dedicated streamers?

It is odd that they have a dedicated transport line, a transport/DAC line, and a dedicated DAC product line. Yet they’ve chosen to bundle a streamer into the N line. Perhaps doing it this way allows shared circuits and processing that streamline the device. Or maybe they didn’t feel they wanted to compete in the stand alone streamer market based on profit margins.

Who knows... but I’m thankful I didn’t pull the trigger on the Aurender. I was headed to see one at a local shop later in the afternoon on the day this was announced.

Last edited by phishphan; 08-13-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:18 PM

A simple network bridge like dcs would have kept all Esoteric owners happy and still stay within the brand.

It may be possible on a redesigned full fledged MQA dac in the works? Another N05x and N01x in the works?

Last edited by justubes; 08-05-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justubes View Post
A simple network bridge like dcs would have kept all Esoteric owners happy and still stay within the brand.
+1
Old 08-25-2017, 10:36 AM

The English language version of the N-01 page is posted on Esoteric.jp

http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esot...01/indexe.html

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 08-25-2017, 12:19 PM

I was trading emails with the director of sales with Esoteric. I just got this:

Hello Kyle.
The N-01 will retail for $20,000 here in the U.S. We will unveil here for the first time at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest this October.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Keith Haas
Director of Sales