AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

View Poll Results: How should I migrate to a Masseto and Cortese?
Upgrade the Aurieges to the Masseto. Magic baby, magic! 7 23.33%
Upgrade to the Cortese to pair with the Aurieges. Sell the Pass if you have to only have one system. 5 16.67%
Just wait and do both at the same time when you have the room. 2 6.67%
Start with efficient speakers 16 53.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2014, 12:44 AM

Default Cortese or Masseto

Hey guys I'm planning my next Shindo upgrade with Matt @ Pitch Perfect for the beginning of summer and I need some advice...

Currently, I use use an Aurieges for my phono pre-amp into a class-A Pass Int-30A. Works great and for right now I don't have to worry about my speakers.

Eventually, I'd like to have two systems with the Aurieges and the VPI paired with a Cortese and more efficient speakers, but I need to do this in stages and I don't have enough room at my current place for two separate systems. Also, I'd consider starting by upgrading the Aurieges to a Masseto since in the end I'll be at the same place.

So, I've been torn between picking up a Cortese and looking for more efficient speakers, and just upgrading the Aurieges to a Masseto until I had more room and then circle around for the Cortese later.

Auriges upgrade to Masseto? or Add a Cortese? Any suggestions?

Last edited by junker; 03-02-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 AM

Junker- You should just listen to the Cortese with your prime speaker candidates. Then decide if that's where you want to be. Assuming your still driving the Vandy's you have listed, the Cortese will require a speaker move. So if you have two bullets, it's your shot.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:56 AM

Thanks for the info! This is was starting with my target pre-amp first, and then later add Cortese and when I can break off to two separate systems.

Most likely my speaker choices will be something vintage...which means waiting tight for the right ones to come to market and then pulling the trigger. I have a few on my "keeping eyes peeled" list... Not sure how long it might take. I could do something cheap like Heresy IIIs to hold me over though...hmm Anyone have any Solovox's FS? Kidding...

First thing from Matt will probably be an EMT cartridge. . The Denon 103R is nice but it's no EMT.

Last edited by junker; 03-02-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 AM
alive and kickin'

Just a quote from a blog (Volker Heinze) to make you capture the spirit behind "Shindo":
Quote:
Today I want to report about a system, were the amplifying chain is completely relying to the qualities of one of the most important tube amplifier designers of our time, the shortly passed away Ken Shindo. Tube electronics of this master are designed as single components in technical terms, but their major effect will be shown when matched together to a chain. A tremendous advantage above the most other tube components is their complementary characteristic of higher order of musicality within this match. A chain of amplifying devices (transformers, components, tubes, cables and their technical principles together with mechanical details) create additional physical abilities and psychoacoustical effects. Here the summary of harmonies, dynamic details and musicality in general make a completely different reception of music possible. Every audio chain does, with tube components it appears in a advanced stage, but only a handful designers do take care about the importance of matching effects. Ken Shindo was one of the few, who was able to create sound systems, which have the ability to keep the inherent structure of music in a comprehensible flow. Almost close to the listening at natural instruments, his amplifiers make this sort of listening ease to one main sensation and criteria, independent of its technical implementation.

Last edited by riesling; 03-02-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:27 AM

Certainly a unique way to make an audio decision.

I don't think their is one perfect way, but I'd recommend going with speakers first -that way you can make a more discerning choice of which Shindo gear is best for you. I'd also encourage you not to skip over the Monbrison for the Massetto just yet. It's a wonderful piece and you may find you'll be quite happy with it for years to come.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:38 PM

Junker - You already have a terrific preamp in the Aurieges. Your high-efficiency speaker choice is so important, so why not resolve that next? That will also tell you if the Cortese is still the right Shindo amp for you and your new speakers, or if another Shindo power amp is actually better for you. At that point you have the famed Shindo synergy driving high-efficiency speakers. A very good place to be! Then, down the road, you can address whether or not you want/need to upgrade from the Aurieges. Good luck! And good listening! Steven
Old 03-03-2014, 04:01 PM

Well the Cortese is the only Shindo amp I would consider so I think it would be best to start with appropriate speakers. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 PM

Junker - Just curious, what other Shindo amps did you hear besides the Cortese, or were you so smitten with the Cortese that you felt there was no point in hearing anything else? (I could understand the latter case; the Cortese is a great amp!) I ask in part because I am looking to add another amp for my Aud-23 Solovox speakers, and I am leaning toward the Haute Brion. Also wondering what is on your list of high efficiency speaker candidates, if you don't mind sharing that as well. Steven
Old 03-03-2014, 05:31 PM

Speakers
Old 03-03-2014, 05:48 PM

Speakers. If you get the Cortese but don't change your speakers, what would you do with it? Upgrade your pre last. The journey will be more satisfying if you have a Shindo amp and pre on appropriate speakers and the upgrade after living with it for a while. That way you can truly appreciate the difference between the assets and Aurieges.