AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 11-02-2011, 07:00 AM

Default Mbl 120

Who has heard the new MBL 120?
Tips, impressions, ...?

Below some additional information that I found online.

Images gallery:
MBL 120, ny mellanstor rundstrålande högtalare

Brochure:
MBL 120 Catalog

Test of the german magazine "Stereo" (11/2010):
Test MBL 120 en STEREO (Germany)

Laboratory measurements associated with the test:
MBL 120 banco de pruebas STEREO

Incidentally, the spanish site of MBL is very rich in information/test/images:
MBL - Unique High End Audio

Last edited by m.tonetti; 11-02-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:14 AM

The MBL speakers positioning intrigues me.
MBL public image of the type shown below (taken from the catalog section on their Website) and then several times I have seen placed as a dynamic speaker!
Why?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.tonetti View Post
The MBL speakers positioning intrigues me.
MBL public image of the type shown below (taken from the catalog section on their Website) and then several times I have seen placed as a dynamic speaker!
Why?

Massimo
I am not sure I understand your question. All of the MBL line is omni directional in the mids and highs. The 101's and Xtremes are also omni-directional in the bass area as they use larger "petal" drivers for those frequencies too, where the 120's, 121,'s, 116's and 111F's use conventional side firing bass drivers.

That picture is a bit misleading. The best sound from the speakers still comes from sitting in the sweet spot. Unless you are using the system for background music you wouldn't normally sit off to the sides.

Jim
Old 11-02-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
That picture is a bit misleading. The best sound from the speakers still comes from sitting in the sweet spot. Unless you are using the system for background music you wouldn't normally sit off to the sides.

Jim
I agree.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 AM

Jim,

what are the advantages and disadvantages of an omnidirectional speaker compared to a conventional dynamic speaker?
They are suitable for jazz music?
The soundstage is wide, narrow, deep?
The focus of the instruments is optimal?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.tonetti View Post
Jim,

what are the advantages and disadvantages of an omnidirectional speaker compared to a conventional dynamic speaker?
They are suitable for jazz music?
The soundstage is wide, narrow, deep?
The focus of the instruments is optimal?

Thanks in advance.
Massimo
All good questions, and the answers might depend on what you are used to hearing. I cannot speak for all omni-directional speakers but as far as MBL goes, they sound closer to live music than most traditional dynamic speakers. The imaging is excellent but it is different from other quality speakers that might lock instruments between your speakers. In my opinion that is not how live music sounds. Most recording sound like recordings, whereas live music envelops you.
I always caution others to listen to MBL's for some time before deciding whether they are right for you. I know I liked the sound from day 1, but then I would go home and think, hey my speakers lock the image better. Then I would hear the MBL's again and they just sounded more like music than a recording.
Most comments and reviews about MBL mention how the speakers just plain disappear. Save for those few recordings where the intent is for you to hear a given sound coming from a specific speaker, I seldom hear my speakers.

-You are asking the wrong person as to whether they are suitable for Jazz, others here know I place most Jazz just above Rap so it seldom gets played on my system.

-The soundstage is wide and pretty deep in general especially if you can keep them away from the room boundaries.

-Focus is something you have to decide on yourself. Some people have issues with how they "might" smear the sound a bit, but again this is exactly what you get when listening to live music.

As I listen while responding to your questions, the speakers have disappeared, vocals and instruments come from between my speakers, yet the room is filled with music.

Jim
Old 11-03-2011, 12:10 PM

MBL Special Report

MBL Reference Line Catalog
Old 11-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Massimo
All good questions, and the answers might depend on what you are used to hearing. I cannot speak for all omni-directional speakers but as far as MBL goes, they sound closer to live music than most traditional dynamic speakers. The imaging is excellent but it is different from other quality speakers that might lock instruments between your speakers. In my opinion that is not how live music sounds. Most recording sound like recordings, whereas live music envelops you.
I always caution others to listen to MBL's for some time before deciding whether they are right for you. I know I liked the sound from day 1, but then I would go home and think, hey my speakers lock the image better. Then I would hear the MBL's again and they just sounded more like music than a recording.
Most comments and reviews about MBL mention how the speakers just plain disappear. Save for those few recordings where the intent is for you to hear a given sound coming from a specific speaker, I seldom hear my speakers.

-You are asking the wrong person as to whether they are suitable for Jazz, others here know I place most Jazz just above Rap so it seldom gets played on my system.

-The soundstage is wide and pretty deep in general especially if you can keep them away from the room boundaries.

-Focus is something you have to decide on yourself. Some people have issues with how they "might" smear the sound a bit, but again this is exactly what you get when listening to live music.

As I listen while responding to your questions, the speakers have disappeared, vocals and instruments come from between my speakers, yet the room is filled with music.

Jim
Jim, thank you very much for your suggestions.

What is the distance of the emission centers of the tweeter/midrange group of your MBL 111F from the back wall?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:24 AM

massimo
The MBL owners manual actually provides guidelines with suggested ratios for positioning the speakers. I will pull that out and post it later today.

Jim
Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 AM

Because they have a conventional woofer the place is dictated by how the woofer interacts with the room