AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-18-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caddy View Post
The original McIntosh C8 was a mono tube preamplifier/record equalization compensator that was manufactured 1955-1959.

The compensator provided adjustable equalization for the various record labels before RIAA standardization was adopted. Could also be adapted to stereo use with the addition of the C8-S.

Since McIntosh has been producing more and more "retro styled" products, I would imagine the C8 designation was chosen in tribute of the prior model.

Yeah that was my first thought as well especially since like this new C8 the original was also not a full width product.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:52 PM

I would not buy either of these, but their place in the lineup fills two obvious gaps. First, plenty of Mc buyers care about looks, and plenty of folks have bought the 252 and 352. Second, Mc stuff ain't cheap, and these lower the bar. I expect that these will be successful.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:23 AM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
I would not buy either of these, but their place in the lineup fills two obvious gaps. First, plenty of Mc buyers care about looks, and plenty of folks have bought the 252 and 352. Second, Mc stuff ain't cheap, and these lower the bar. I expect that these will be successful.
Not sure I agree with “lowering the bar.” The C8 appears to be feature packed for a $3500 MSRP. The 830 amp...maybe less features than traditional Mc amps, but how do they sound? They could be an incredible value. Until they actually ship and we can evaluate...maybe they “raised the bar.”

Last edited by JWJW; 09-19-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:34 AM

I am really interested in the C8.

Originally I was debating between the MA352 and MA8900, and even though I really liked the design and how vocal sounds on the former, one of the minor reasons I ended up buying the latter is that I can't put the 352 on a top shelf (have 2 very active cats), but putting it in middle / bottom would mean that I can't see the blue meters very well.

(And in case you're wondering, the main reason is that in the end I wanted to get something with the autoformer for my first Mc.)

Now if I add the C8 as pre I can basically have the near equivalent of 352 but with an autoformer, so it would be interesting to see how much it costs when the dealer in Hong Kong updates their price list.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:59 PM
Bun E. Carlos

Does anyone know if this is the first “direct coupled” amplifier McIntosh has sold? (Sorry for the dumb question).
Old 09-19-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJW View Post
Does anyone know if this is the first “direct coupled” amplifier McIntosh has sold? (Sorry for the dumb question).
Definitely not. The MA252 and 352 as well as some other integrated and multi-channel were/are direct coupled. It’s not exactly a desirable trait for a Mcintosh product just so we are on the same page.

The autoformer has it’s advantages and if one thinks the direct coupled is purer sound Because the autoformer adds a a veil, haze or loss of transparency, sorry, you will not find boutique transistors/caps/resistors/etc inside a direct coupled McIntosh amp anyways for that theory to hold water.

Not to say that direct coupled is a red headed step child.. . If the budget, styling or certain function is the prime objective, it will certainly do the job it is intended for.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:49 PM
Blown & Injected

First direct coupled mono amp, yes.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Not sure I agree with “lowering the bar.” The C8 appears to be feature packed for a $3500 MSRP. The 830 amp...maybe less features than traditional Mc amps, but how do they sound? They could be an incredible value. Until they actually ship and we can evaluate...maybe they “raised the bar.”
To be clear--I meant lowering the price point, thus enticing more price-sensitive listeners to buy. The next lowest Mc tube pre amp is the C22 for $6K, isn't it? Assuming the guys have done their jobs well, the C8 will sound similar in character and almost as good as the C22 for 40% less. This would be great
Old 09-19-2020, 05:38 PM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
To be clear--I meant lowering the price point, thus enticing more price-sensitive listeners to buy. The next lowest Mc tube pre amp is the C22 for $6K, isn't it? Assuming the guys have done their jobs well, the C8 will sound similar in character and almost as good as the C22 for 40% less. This would be great
Old 09-19-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I think the first one was the MC 502 in 1978.