AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 09-18-2020, 07:31 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Prentice View Post
Those are pretty. I have Olympica 3 with a pair of the Amati Traditional in violin red on order. They should be here in two to three weeks. I am looking forward to getting them.

This started a couple weeks ago when I decided it was time to get my two subwoofers re-taped. When I took them out of my system I immediately noticed congestion of the mid and high range disappear. I realized in a couple minutes the subs had to stay out of the system and I needed speakers with sufficient bass not to require subwoofers. The obvious solution was to upgrade a couple levels. It didn’t take much Research to find and confirm what I needed... like two hours.
I am not surprised by your comment, congestion in the mids and highs. The temptation to over adjust a subwoofer is an easy trap to fall into. I have O'3s and Sumiko sub (same as REL), the crossover point is set barely above 30hz and volume is set where you don't hear the sub but simply feel the impact at very low frequencies. Try these settings and you should get teriffic bass and added air and space in the mids and highs.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:47 AM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
I am not surprised by your comment, congestion in the mids and highs. The temptation to over adjust a subwoofer is an easy trap to fall into. I have O'3s and Sumiko sub (same as REL), the crossover point is set barely above 30hz and volume is set where you don't hear the sub but simply feel the impact at very low frequencies. Try these settings and you should get teriffic bass and added air and space in the mids and highs.
I have fiddled with them a bunch. Perhaps they were crossed over too high. However I am also enjoying the lack of clutter without the two big black subs. So I think I’ll stay on course for the new Amati... I always wanted violin red as well. So I think they will do a lot of things for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D25E1BD0-369E-488E-8234-100AF1B3BE41.jpeg (512.4 KB, 168 views)
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:43 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Prentice View Post
I have fiddled with them a bunch. Perhaps they were crossed over too high. However I am also enjoying the lack of clutter without the two big black subs. So I think I’ll stay on course for the new Amati... I always wanted violin red as well. So I think they will do a lot of things for me.
I agree with the clutter issue, did the same thing when I purchased the 585 integrated amp (had separates before). I'm very close to purchasing the Serafino's, violin red is the color of choice!!!!
Old 09-19-2020, 11:26 AM
George

While sound regardless of looks used to be my priority. I retired a couple years ago and decided it was time for both. So I have been making sequential changes to have both.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFi View Post
I'm so in love with the Nova III.
Since you asked the same question to the Serafino owners, I would like to ask you the same between the Sonettos and your novas. Have you had the chance compare them?

I am an actual Sonetto III owner but I am looking forward to upgrade to the Novas some day. Maybe the Nova II cause I have a medium size listening room.

I owned the Sonetto V speakers as they are a great speaker for $6500.
I traded up for the Nova III and got a ‘wow’ factor.
The Nova II should give you the same.
Happy listening.
Trailmusic
Old 10-02-2020, 05:35 PM

George:

I have a Simaudio 810P phono stage and am thinking about adding the 820S. Was there a noticeable improvement in your system worth the $7K to $8K for that power supply?

Thanks

Last edited by rclop; 10-07-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:37 AM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclop View Post
George:

I have a Simaudio 810P phono stage and am thinking about adding the 820S. Was there a noticeable improvement in your system worth the $7K to $8K for that power supply?

Thanks
Omg, yes! It made a big difference in background and detail. Really was a significant upgrade for my DAC. I would think it would be more for a phono stage. I have found many of the high end products are mostly about power supply improvements. It was great to buy a $9K box and feel that I was able to significantly improve the product later. It does not change the character of the sound, but incrementally improves it in most respects.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:02 AM

Gorgeous!
Main System MC-2102--C-2700--HiFi Rose 150B--MVP-901--Revox PR-99mkiii--Klipschorns- - Shunyata Denali 6000v2 --Sota Star Sapphire Turntable with vacuum—SME series iV.Vi—Sumiko Blackbird— WireWorld power and interconnect cables MC-205–MX-100
Old 11-08-2020, 04:22 PM

I wonder how the Serafinos would pair with MC-275’s? Or better, a pair of MC-275’s?
Main System MC-2102--C-2700--HiFi Rose 150B--MVP-901--Revox PR-99mkiii--Klipschorns- - Shunyata Denali 6000v2 --Sota Star Sapphire Turntable with vacuum—SME series iV.Vi—Sumiko Blackbird— WireWorld power and interconnect cables MC-205–MX-100
Old 12-03-2020, 01:49 AM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
Well, as a follow up. The central congestion did not go away with removal of the sub-woofers. I surmised that part of the problem was noise coming through both channels... da. Vinyl noise comes all over the soundstage because it can be in either groove or at bottom, so picked up by both channels... but noise from both channels comes in the center soundstage... daaa. This is so obvious in retrospect. I am not talking about ssssss noise... but the stuff that fatigues the ears but you can’t hear directly... like you can an instrument. Once I realized this I decided it had to be my streamer (I have a decent DAC with the $9K power supply... didn’t think that was likely the issue). So I upgraded the Auralic Aries G2 to a Aurender W20SE... all congestion completely gone. The images in venter separated in complete silence. Of course the whole soundstage benefited... but the central issue completely gone.