AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 08-16-2011, 07:49 PM

Default Kondo - Audio Note

Kondo - Entry Level Integrated Amp - The OVERTURE

Had first encounter and audition of this ENTRY LEVEL Kondo/Audio Note integrated amp. Well, "entry level" is but an adjective cause the calling price surely is not for this 32 watts per channel (push-pull tube) amp as its net selling price is US$32k! That makes it $1k per watt!

Externally, there is nothing extraordinary about this integrated amp. 2 big knobs (selector and volume) and one small knob (power "on/off") grace the front panel with 2 horizontal slits. Thats it.

However, removing the top cover revealed the exquisite build of the amplifier. Its really a piece of hand made work of art. Parts are of the highest grade with some proprietary to Kondo/Audio Note (they made the parts themselves and this is not about the so called silver cables or transformers). Much more.

The sound ... well, put it this way, its in another league altogether. Its just "magically musical". If you think you have heard it all, please go for an audition on this entry level amp. Its really intoxicating.

Would I buy it? No, cause I am still very smitten with my Meridian set up. Plus, it will cost me an arm and a leg if I would to go for an all Kondo setup. After all, when you are in this level playing field, might as well DEEP DIVE into it - if one had the cash - which I dont!

After the hour plus of audition, I walked out of the shop feeling satisfied that I understand why people harp so much about Kondo-Audio Note. Now I know why Howie keep mumbling about the G70 Pre+Ongaku Integrated/Power Amp.

I cant wait for the dealer to bring in the full array of goodies, inclusive of their latest field coil speakers. I know I cant afford the setup, but for sure I cant afford not to go listen to this setup when its available.

Like Shindo, its an entire world of its own - sound!

The Japs certainly knows how to make GREAT tube gears. Kondo, Shindo, Leben, Air Tight, U-Bros .... oh, not forgetting MacTone.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kondo Overture.jpg (25.3 KB, 89 views)
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 08-16-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post

The Japs certainly knows how to make GREAT tube gears. Kondo, Shindo, Leben, Air Tight, U-Bros .... oh, not forgetting MacTone.

Cheers!
Jerry
Don't forget the best. Zanden.

JIm
Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Jerry
Don't forget the best. Zanden.

JIm
I must be getting senile Jim.

Yes, one of the best ... Zanden and then there's WAVAC too (how could I forget this very alluring combo that was offered to me just 2 years back)? Think I must go see a Neurologist (or someone like that) to improve my memory!

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Kondo - Entry Level Integrated Amp - The OVERTURE

Had first encounter and audition of this ENTRY LEVEL Kondo/Audio Note integrated amp. Well, "entry level" is but an adjective cause the calling price surely is not for this 32 watts per channel (push-pull tube) amp as its net selling price is US$32k! That makes it $1k per watt!

Externally, there is nothing extraordinary about this integrated amp. 2 big knobs (selector and volume) and one small knob (power "on/off") grace the front panel with 2 horizontal slits. Thats it.

However, removing the top cover revealed the exquisite build of the amplifier. Its really a piece of hand made work of art. Parts are of the highest grade with some proprietary to Kondo/Audio Note (they made the parts themselves and this is not about the so called silver cables or transformers). Much more.

The sound ... well, put it this way, its in another league altogether. Its just "magically musical". If you think you have heard it all, please go for an audition on this entry level amp. Its really intoxicating.

Would I buy it? No, cause I am still very smitten with my Meridian set up. Plus, it will cost me an arm and a leg if I would to go for an all Kondo setup. After all, when you are in this level playing field, might as well DEEP DIVE into it - if one had the cash - which I dont!

After the hour plus of audition, I walked out of the shop feeling satisfied that I understand why people harp so much about Kondo-Audio Note. Now I know why Howie keep mumbling about the G70 Pre+Ongaku Integrated/Power Amp.

I cant wait for the dealer to bring in the full array of goodies, inclusive of their latest field coil speakers. I know I cant afford the setup, but for sure I cant afford not to go listen to this setup when its available.

Like Shindo, its an entire world of its own - sound!

Cheers!
Jerry,

You have seen the light! The Kondo stuff really is mind blowingly musical. I had a chance to chat with Masaki-san, the President, Engineer, Owner of Kondo and you can feel the passion in the products produced. One bit of good news, Masaki-san prefers the Ongaku to the Gakuon monoblocks. He says the Ongaku is sweeter although less powerful. I was worried he would prefer the monoblocks putting the ultimate Kondo setup even further out of reach

Jerry, Keep the Meridian. It is world class and so easy to use.

Then get an Overture plus a pair of Westminsters and your TT for the bedroom. Job done. Nice and simple and mind-blowing great sound.

I am now seriously considering how to swap in a pair of Westminsters and an Ongaku into my system. Preamp will have to come later as the M1000 Mk II preamp is about the same price as the Ongaku itself

howie
Old 08-16-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Jerry,

You have seen the light! The Kondo stuff really is mind blowingly musical. I had a chance to chat with Masaki-san, the President, Engineer, Owner of Kondo and you can feel the passion in the products produced. One bit of good news, Masaki-san prefers the Ongaku to the Gakuon monoblocks. He says the Ongaku is sweeter although less powerful. I was worried he would prefer the monoblocks putting the ultimate Kondo setup even further out of reach

Jerry, Keep the Meridian. It is world class and so easy to use.

Then get an Overture plus a pair of Westminsters and your TT for the bedroom. Job done. Nice and simple and mind-blowing great sound.

I am now seriously considering how to swap in a pair of Westminsters and an Ongaku into my system. Preamp will have to come later as the M1000 Mk II preamp is about the same price as the Ongaku itself

howie
Jerry better have a King Sized bedroom for those Westminsters!

Howie, before spending $100k on Ongaku, do listen to Shindo. I don't think there will be nearly as much to gain from pure silver wired Ongaku as compared to Shindo which is also very purist by design as the price difference might suggest. Immediacy, palpability, harmonic richness beyond description of 99.9% of audio gear out there is also within the realm of Shindo. Of course it's your wad of cash to blow! I'm just sayin...
Old 08-16-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Jerry better have a King Sized bedroom for those Westminsters!

Howie, before spending $100k on Ongaku, do listen to Shindo. I don't think there will be nearly as much to gain from pure silver wired Ongaku as compared to Shindo which is also very purist by design as the price difference might suggest. Immediacy, palpability, harmonic richness beyond description of 99.9% of audio gear out there is also within the realm of Shindo. Of course it's your wad of cash to blow! I'm just sayin...
Luckily an Ongaku over here is closer to $50k

Yes I will listen to Shindo. Not even sure we have a dealer over here but surely we must have. I listened to Leben a little as well and the sound is also intoxicating. Jerry is in for a treat!

Seriously though go listen, if you have the chance, to a properly set up ongaku plus m1000 mkII preamp. You will literally wet yourself I assure you

howie
Old 08-16-2011, 09:26 PM

Some Kondo eye candy

Overture Integrated Amp

Under the Overture lid

G70 New Preamp

Under the G70

The King Ongaku

Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Luckily an Ongaku over here is closer to $50k

Yes I will listen to Shindo. Not even sure we have a dealer over here but surely we must have. I listened to Leben a little as well and the sound is also intoxicating. Jerry is in for a treat!

Seriously though go listen, if you have the chance, to a properly set up ongaku plus m1000 mkII preamp. You will literally wet yourself I assure you

howie
Howie, I would wet myself laughing at a dealer who would have the nerve to try to sell me $200K worth of Audio Note (Kondo) gear. Too rich for my blood! I am blown away with my Shindo gear at much more sane prices already. I wouldn't really expect or want much of anything else from a SET amp than I don't already have with my Cortese, ok, maybe the Lafon GM70's I could go for but that's it for me.

Last edited by PHC1; 08-16-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 PM

So much Japanese exotica, so little time (and money). While I've listened to Audio Note (UK) gear, I've never had a chance to listen to Kondo. How would one describe the Kondo sound vis a vis Shindo? I've heard a reviewer (Jack Roberts?) describe Kondo equipment as being more lite and ethereal in tone while Shindo is more earthy. Since I have not heard Kondo, I can't vouch for that statement but would be interested in comments for those fortunate enought to hear both. While you are at it, folks can comment on WAVAC, Zanden and any others you may want to throw into the mix.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Howie, I would wet myself laughing at a dealer who would have the nerve to try to sell me $200K worth of Audio Note gear. Too rich for my blood! I am blown away with my Shindo gear at much more sane prices already. I wouldn't really expect or want much of anything else from a SET amp than I don't already have with my Cortese, ok, maybe the Lafon GM70's I could go for but that's it for me.
Agreed. I had to do some rationalizing to buy my Vosne-Romanee which was not far off from the price of my car. I think I'd have to do some major mental gymnastics to justify gear that costs about as much as my first house. Of course if you are lucky enough to have the discretionary funds - go for it. Unfortunately my audio eyes tend to be bigger than my wallet.

By the way - agree 100% on the GM70's. Of all the Shindo amps I heard, that's the one that blew me away. May need to start playing the loto...
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion