AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports Guns & Ammo

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 01:08 AM

Default Bipartisan Background Checks Act 2019

Without getting into politics, what are your thoughts on it? I for one, am all for it.

Right now, background checks, when used, prevent gun sales to fugitives, people deemed mentally unwell by the state, domestic abusers, people who renounce U.S. citizenship, convicted felons, convicted drug users, non-citizens, dishonorably discharged veterans, and most people with restraining orders.

The bill, however, would close the infamous “gun show loophole,” which allows people purchasing firearms via private sales, typically at gun shows, to forgo a background check. Under the legislation, anyone who’s not a licensed firearms dealer would not be able to exchange weapons, which would ensure that all sales run through the national criminal background check system — with a few exceptions.

The legislation does not apply to:

law enforcement agencies or officers, armed private security, or military service members if they’re acting in official duty
private gun exchanges between spouses, immediate family members, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, grandparents, and grandchildren
inheritances
temporary transfers to “prevent imminent death or great bodily harm,” according to the bill text
temporary transfers in instances of hunting or fishing when the transferrer has no reason to believe the recipient will violate gun laws

Last edited by PHC1; 02-27-2019 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:04 AM

It’s a step in the right direction, but most likely unenforceable as legit gun shows move underground or to the dark web.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 02-27-2019, 09:27 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Death by a thousand cuts for the Second Amendment. I oppose anymore regulations on law abiding gun owners. There is no reason why law abiding gun owners should suffer the loss of there personal liberties and additional government intrusion into our lives due to the lack of proper enforcement and punishment of those who use guns to break the law. Guns are inanimate objects until a person with intent picks it up. Prosecute and penalize the criminals with the thousands of laws already on the books.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 02-27-2019, 09:42 AM
Retired

As a life-long hunter/competitor I have a difficult time with this or other restrictions. The biggest problem is the lack of enforcement. Even the military does a poor job of policing this with known problem folks (i.e. - TX church murders). At the same time, I also have a real problem with idiots wanting to run around with open-carry in our crowded, modern society 'just because they can'. Think I would err on the side of caution on this and go with full back-ground checks.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-27-2019, 02:55 PM

The thing I never could understand about new laws supposedly aimed at stopping murders: A murderer doesn't care about laws!

Pretty simple, really. These laws only restrict law abiding people. Anyone with thoughts of murder doesn't care about your laws.

They can always get a gun if they want one bad enough. The only way to make that almost impossible is to ban guns and confiscate them all. That would lead to civil war.

So I'm against any new laws on this basis.

Instead, I think we have a sick society that needs to get more mental health care and somehow get rid of twitter and facebook to reduce violence
Old 02-27-2019, 04:35 PM

This is a gun control bill.

A a well known Constitutionalists take on the 2nd Amendment—

The Founders distrusted a centralized government to the extent of wanting a militia to stand against it, out of which came the 2nd Amendment. The existence of a militia served as a check against a standing army, and allowed states to protect themselves from a tyrannical centralized government. People on TV don’t even understand what a standing militia even means, yet they speak out against them without even understanding the Founder’s intentions for having them in the first place. The Founders, Framers, and Ratifiers of the Constitution were all united in their view that the people needed to be well armed, not for hunting, but for self-defense because they knew the dangers of a police state.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 02-27-2019, 04:59 PM

The Federalists take —

There Is No ‘Gun-Show Loophole’

One of the biggest claims I’ve heard as a reason for needing more background checks is the so-called “gun-show loophole.” There’s one big problem with that claim: there is no “gun-show loophole” in federal law. It is a myth.

As covered above, federal law requires that all sales from firearm dealers, or sales between residents of different states, must satisfy the background check requirements, regardless of whether those sales happen in a gun shop, at a gun show, or out of the back of somebody’s trunk in a parking lot. Many states also require background checks for individual sales.

There is simply no law anywhere that says if a gun is bought at a gun show, then the buyer doesn’t have to undergo a background check. In fact, gun shows are generally full of ATF agents on the prowl for potential violations of federal law. A dealer who tries to sell a gun at a gun show without confirming that the buyer has passed a background check will get in big trouble in short order.

Furthermore, federal law also prevents sales to anyone the seller believes to be a “prohibited person” (e.g., a convicted felon). As a result, gun dealers regularly turn away potential customers if they think they are not legally allowed to purchase or possess a firearm. There is no special exemption or “loophole” in federal law that allows gun show sales to occur without background checks.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 02-27-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
The thing I never could understand about new laws supposedly aimed at stopping murders: A murderer doesn't care about laws!

Pretty simple, really. These laws only restrict law abiding people. Anyone with thoughts of murder doesn't care about your laws.

They can always get a gun if they want one bad enough. The only way to make that almost impossible is to ban guns and confiscate them all. That would lead to civil war.

Instead, I think we have a sick society that needs to get more mental health care and somehow get rid of twitter and facebook to reduce violence

+1
Old 02-27-2019, 07:22 PM

Interesting insight and opinions. Thank you gentlemen for all your responses and a civil discussion of this very complicated topic.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:00 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post

Turns out crime is illegal...and new laws can be cumbersome to law abiding folks, and laughable to criminals.

Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Closed Thread