AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 02-20-2014, 12:49 AM

Installed #2 in one of my systems today… LOVE IT!!!

Quality

Design

Beautiful Sound…. Delicious…
Old 02-20-2014, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot

Quality

Design

Congrats Stephen !
Old 02-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post

Quality

Design

Thank you Stephen, I'm so glad that you "LOVE IT" ... Knowing your musical/audio preferences I thought you would, but it's great to hear it confirmed!

Alberto
Old 02-20-2014, 11:48 AM

Would this device be effective in eliminating some of "harshness" from horn type speakers with certain program material?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:51 AM

Alberto, fantastic idea and this is exactly what I would have expected for you to come up with if you were going to build something "audio" related.
I often find myself trying to tweak the tone control and EQ on all casual listening sessions in every system except my main where I don't have that flexibility.
I do tend to listen much less critically lately and just enjoying music instead of chasing perfection of sound.
If the "Delicious One" enhances the enjoyment of listening to music, then it's existence is justified and you my friend have done a great service to the audio community.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caddy View Post
Would this device be effective in eliminating some of "harshness" from horn type speakers with certain program material?
I can't guarantee it, not knowing your program material, system/speakers, or ears, but in my research I've found that when people say that something sounds harsh, the culprit is typically the midrange - the portion of the frequency spectrum where our ears are most sensitive (to respond to baby's crying, other people's voice, et.c)

One of my early customers, for example, mentioned that he found the harmonica in Led Zeppelin "When The Levee Breaks" to be particularly harsh sounding in his system. I went back to my Zep collection (I have many different pressing) and I found an early 80s CD where, indeed, the harmonics sound pierces my ears in a most unnatural and fatiguing way. Harsh would be a good way to describe it.

I played that CD on my McIntosh+Shindo+Tannoy system (which already sounds very delicious and is quite forgiving) and it still sounded a bit harsh. I passed it through The Delicious One and I rotated the knob until the harmonica "backed-off" a bit in the mix ... and most of the harshness was gone.

You can see more comments from user on the fledgeling review page:

Reviews - Delicious Decibels

Thank you,

Alberto
Old 02-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Alberto, fantastic idea and this is exactly what I would have expected for you to come up with if you were going to build something "audio" related.
I often find myself trying to tweak the tone control and EQ on all casual listening sessions in every system except my main where I don't have that flexibility.
I do tend to listen much less critically lately and just enjoying music instead of chasing perfection of sound.
If the "Delicious One" enhances the enjoyment of listening to music, then it's existence is justified and you my friend have done a great service to the audio community.
Thank you Serge.

My goal was to have my "sonic-cake" and eat it too: all in one system.

In the past I used my reference/main system for critical listening, and saved my warmer, more forgiving vintage system (which has tone controls and loudness) for when I wanted to listen to poorly recorded material and/or just relax with some good music without my audiophile "hat" on.

I found nothing available, so I put my electrical engineering education and experience to good use and built my own .

Now, with The Delicious One I am able to use my main system, which I love, for both purposes.

My goal is to offer other audiophiles with similar challenges a device that, in a way, allows them to have two systems in one ... all for the price of a good interconnect or power cord --- $549 for the Limited Edition, which is hand-built using carefully matched components and individually tested (with test result graph included and signed by yours truly.)

Still not sure that there's enough of a market for it, but I am having lot of fun at this stage.

Alberto
Old 02-20-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
I can't guarantee it, not knowing your program material, system/speakers, or ears, but in my research I've found that when people say that something sounds harsh, the culprit is typically the midrange - the portion of the frequency spectrum where our ears are most sensitive (to respond to baby's crying, other people's voice, et.c)

One of my early customers, for example, mentioned that he found the harmonica in Led Zeppelin "When The Levee Breaks" to be particularly harsh sounding in his system. I went back to my Zep collection (I have many different pressing) and I found an early 80s CD where, indeed, the harmonics sound pierces my ears in a most unnatural and fatiguing way. Harsh would be a good way to describe it.

I played that CD on my McIntosh+Shindo+Tannoy system (which already sounds very delicious and is quite forgiving) and it still sounded a bit harsh. I passed it through The Delicious One and I rotated the knob until the harmonica "backed-off" a bit in the mix ... and most of the harshness was gone.

You can see more comments from user on the fledgeling review page:

Reviews - Delicious Decibels

Thank you,

Alberto
Thank you sir.

Message sent via Delicious Decibels webpage.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Thank you Serge.

My goal was to have my "sonic-cake" and eat it too: all in one system.

In the past I used my reference/main system for critical listening, and saved my warmer, more forgiving vintage system (which has tone controls and loudness) for when I wanted to listen to poorly recorded material and/or just relax with some good music without my audiophile "hat" on.

I found nothing available, so I put my electrical engineering education and experience to good use and built my own .

Now, with The Delicious One I am able to use my main system, which I love, for both purposes.

My goal is to offer other audiophiles with similar challenges a device that, in a way, allows them to have two systems in one ... all for the price of a good interconnect or power cord --- $549 for the Limited Edition, which is hand-built using carefully matched components and individually tested (with test result graph included and signed by yours truly.)

Still not sure that there's enough of a market for it, but I am having lot of fun at this stage.

Alberto
Alberto I would have no problem using the Delicious One in my main system. I am sure it would benefit many of the recordings that I enjoy but are less than "delicious"
Old 02-20-2014, 04:28 PM

Had a very pleasant conversation with Alberto this morning.

After explaining to him the issues I'd like to correct, he kindly volunteered his time to delve into a solution - which may or may not require the use of the Delicious Decibels device to effect a remedy.

I must say that I am extremely impressed with his integrity in not simply proposing the Delicious Device out of hand as a cure; instead preferring to see if there is another and more suitable solution.

His attitude & integrity is to be applauded and I for one feel that audiophile community can do with more individuals like Alberto.

Eric

Last edited by 62caddy; 02-20-2014 at 04:32 PM.