AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 04-03-2010, 05:37 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Corelli (Arcangelo Corelli 1653-1713) Concerti Grosso Opus 6

An extraordinary recording on Harmonia Mundi by Nicholas McGegan and the Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra - Recorded by Peter McGrath - Currently sales manager of Wilson Audio - and one of the world's best recording engineers.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 04-03-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I was reading about Gershwin. I knew about his young death but I was surprised to learn how few recordings exist of him actually performing. He used to make piano rolls and so when played back on a piano it is almost like he is playing. Some recordings were made of him this way. Good quality primary electrical recordings of him are apparently very rare. It is reported his estate has grossed more money than any other musical artist in history.
David, this is very interesting. The more I read of your posts,the more I'm convinced that you are a person of huge substance.

I recently heard a recording of Gershwin played back on a Bosendorfer reproducing piano which, supposedly, catches every nuance of the original performance.

I have a couple of cd's of Rachmaninoff reproduced from the original piano rolls on the same type of computer driven piano and they are extraordinary.

Julian

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 04-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Listener in Training

Ravel - Bolero, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra

Our 13-year-old enjoyed it; his first guess was Tchaikovsky
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 04-03-2010, 09:05 PM

Beethoven - Triple Concerto - Violin, Cello & Piano - Yo Yo Ma on Cello.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:10 PM

Leopold Stokowski - conducts Russian Masterpieces

Dave
Old 04-04-2010, 06:38 AM

Beethoven - Violin Concerto - Anne-Sophie Mutter - Berlin Philharmonic - Herbert von Karajan. - CD - Deutsche Grammophon

A really good recording of some of the world's most beautiful music.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:56 AM

The Red Violin - sndtrk.

Dave
Old 04-04-2010, 07:43 AM

Mozart Concerto 21 & 24 Seattle Sym. Eugene Isotomin piano

Dave

Last edited by f1 fan; 04-04-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 PM

Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 6 [Hybrid SACD] - Herbert von Karajan with Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra

Old 04-09-2010, 06:23 AM

Gentle music for early morning listening - - - -

Romance of the Violin - Joshua Bell with the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields/Michael Stern