AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 02-04-2020, 01:44 PM

2 superb new one mic album downloads at https://www.soundliaison.com/

Old 03-02-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Here are a few of my additions. Some are new.

Arne Domnerus - Jazz at the Pawn Shop Late Night 2xHD (SACD)

Arne Domnerus - Antiphone Blues, (with Gustav Sjökvist) (Proprius, 2003) (SACD)

Sara Barellies - Brave Enough - Live at the Variety Playhouse (24/192 Flac)

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (SHM SACD)

Dire Straits - Dire Straits (SHM SACD)

Annie Lennox - Nostalgia (24/44 FLAC)

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio - Midnight Sugar (SACD)

Jeff Tyzik, Jan Nakamoto, Eastman-Rochester Pops Orchestra - George Gershwin: Piano Concerto in F; Rhapsody In Blue; Cuban Overture (SACD)
Nice list CR. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerk View Post
2 superb new one mic album downloads at https://www.soundliaison.com/

Yes very impressive indeed.
And good music too.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:19 PM

I second Dire Straits Brothers in Arms
Old 04-30-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSpaaudio View Post
I second Dire Straits Brothers in Arms
Well recorded album indeed but not really my type of music. But I don't regret the purchase. So thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:13 PM

These albums are all on sale at the moment.
And they are all ''my type of music.''
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau View Post
Those ''one microphone recordings'' are indeed getting a good deal of praise.
But don't forget their older 24/96 multi track recordings of which some where mentioned in the#1 post of this thread. They do stand the test of time very well.
The label has a summer sale with 20% off the coming weeks so this may be a good time to check out their back catalogue; https://www.soundliaison.com/
These are some of my favorites;
Old 07-22-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingus View Post
Superb albums. Who would believe, I wouldn't, that taking the recording method back to basics would yield such magnificent results.

New review from HRaudio;
Quote:
''Carmen Gomes: Don't You Cry (Sound Liaison)
''Many musicians can play jazz and blues, but few can sing the blues with total conviction and emotional authenticity.
Dutch singer-songwriter Carmen Gomes is one of those few.
A father from the Mediterranean region endowed Carmen Gomes not only with a Spanish-sounding name, but by her own description, with a Mediterranean temperament. At the margins of the culture, the world's differences meet; for Carmen Gomes, the language that gave her freedom of expression was not her native Dutch, but English; and the mode that encouraged her creativity was American jazz and blues. With a dozen previous albums in her catalogue, this accomplished singer, songwriter, teacher and vocal coach distills more than two decades of live performance and recording experience into "Don't You Cry", an hour of compelling jazz vocal music.
The selection and sequencing of the songs tells the story of a woman’s growing recognition that she must throw off the chains of love—false illusions, fears and insecurities—before she can find a more honest way of loving. From the opening "Unchain My Heart", a 1963 hit for Ray Charles, through two songs associated with the great Nina Simone, "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" and Simone's own assertion of female sensuality "Do I Move You", with stops along the way in the Deep South of the songwriter's imagination (Ira and George Gershwin's "Summertime") and the historical reality ("How Long", credited to Leroy Carr, originally written by blueswoman Ida Cox), the listener finally arrives at Gomes' original "As I Do." It's a one-hour trip from the depths of love's oppression to the renewed hope for a relationship between equal partners, cast in the languorous mode of sultry jazz singing and subtle instrumental accompaniment.
Gomes’ stylistic technique extends past the conventions of behind-the-beat phrasing. Listen to how she teases out the syllables, as if the lyrics themselves were musical notes, not just words on a page. On "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood", she prolongs the vowel sounds through several shades of inflection. With her flawless pitch, the effect is entrancing. You might hear echoes of Billie Holliday, but her vocal sound has developed well beyond imitation to distinctive individuality.

The ensemble Carmen Gomes, Inc. is more than a singer and a backing group. Bassist Peter Bjørnild, whose session notes are posted on the Sound Liaison website, produced the record and arranged the songs in collaboration with Gomes, guitarist Folker Tettero and drummer Bert Kamsteeg. Tettero plays an archtop semi-hollow body guitar that has a warm timbre; his stylistic ears are well-tuned to blues idiom, especially the minor-key blues of the mid-1960s. Kamsteeg uses brushes throughout, and keeps superb time without ever overpowering the singer or other players. In bassist Peter Bjørnild, Gomes has found the deep instrumental 'voice' that complements her vocals, the glove that perfectly fits the hand. Their musical partnership is longstanding, and the trust that only years can bring is clearly in evidence.

The decision to record with a single-point stereo microphone came about after the group had already finished a recording session done with conventional multi-mic technique. The late delivery of a Josephson C700S stereo microphone prompted a test recording of a single tune; an afterwards, engineer and label co-owner Frans Rond was so convinced that the sound qualities of that track should be heard on a full recording, he reconvened two more sessions that consisted of the group's working repertoire, done almost entirely in single takes. Those sessions were recorded at MCO Studio 2, Hilversum, The Netherlands, on 26 October and 15 December 2018, in DXD 352.8 kHz. As Bjørnild explains:

"With only one mic… mixing was no longer possible. We would have to make the complete sound stage right there by carefully moving each instrument closer or further away, as well as left and right, in relationship to the microphone."
With an engineer of the capabilities of Frans Rond, mixing is no longer needed. The careful placement of the musicians and the control of group balance makes "Don't You Cry" one of the best-sounding "live in the room" audiophile recordings I've heard.

Not surprisingly, site listeners awarded "Don't You Cry" NativeDSD Vocal Album of the Year for 2019. I eagerly await the next release from Carmen Gomes Inc. ''
Mark Werlin, HRAudio
Old 08-26-2020, 06:23 AM

This album is so well recorded and the music is lovely.
it's a favorite of ECM's Manfred Eicher.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:34 AM
Andre Antunes

This is a great record!
Old 10-23-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
I just got this...

Holly Cole, Temptation (Hybrid SACD)

ANALOGUE PRODUCTIONS remaster

Saw this highlighted by TAS as one of its Top 40 Best Sounding Recordings. Very nicely done even though I find the ever present deep-bass sonics a bit over the top. The booklet says it's acoustic bass .

Overall a great disc to enjoy a sassy female voice. As far as I can tell, all music is performed on actual acoustic instruments. Happy to have it.
Yes but recorded with a piezo pick up. That's why it sounds a bit electronic.
But it was one of my first audiophile purchases.