AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 07-22-2011, 09:41 AM

Default LS27 & REF 5 gain question

Does anyone know why the LS27 has low, med & high gain, where the ref 5 only has low gain?

Also noticed thay the 3 gain settings on the LS27 sound a bit different

Anyone listened to both to give an opinion on the overall sound and tonal differences between both?

I might guess that given the tube rectification of ref 5 vs ss of the 27 you will get a little more tonal weight and spaciousness with the ref5. A bit tighter bass with LS 27?

Cheers
Old 07-22-2011, 10:56 AM

Shane...I used to own the LS-26 and then upgraded to Ref 3 4 years ago. Same difference and yes the LS-26 was a mini-Ref 3 in terms of tonal and image density and presented a slightly more compressed soundstage. I am assuming it is the same difference bet the LS-27 and the Ref 5.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:05 AM

Thnks Cyril

Did the upper frequencies of pre amp change at all with the ref3 ?

What I am trying to ask, is everything is a balancing act and sometimes with added weight and tone, it can also change the presentation of the upper frequencies.

Cheers
Old 08-19-2011, 11:21 AM

Has anyone had a chance to seriously compare the LS27 to a Ref5? The LS27 is a hybrid where as the REF5 is all tubes?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Thnks Cyril

Did the upper frequencies of pre amp change at all with the ref3 ?

What I am trying to ask, is everything is a balancing act and sometimes with added weight and tone, it can also change the presentation of the upper frequencies.

Cheers
Shane....sorry, I just saw this. To me, the Ref 3 had a slightly more balanced and natural tonal balance than the LS-26. It has been too long ago for me to remember whether the tonal balance shanged with the LS-26 when used at the 3 different gain settings and whether the tonal balance in each of these settings was noticeably different than the Ref 3. I just remember feeling the Ref 3 was a bit more natural and balanced across the frequency spectrum. I know that's probably not very useful.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Has anyone had a chance to seriously compare the LS27 to a Ref5? The LS27 is a hybrid where as the REF5 is all tubes?
Serge...I have not but from what I hear the LS-27 is supposed to be a notch up from the Ref 3 (not sure on what sonic criteria but ARC is on the record as saying so), as have a few users. Marcmck79 has the LS-27 and he may have compared it to the Ref 5, not sure. When I owned the LS-26 and upgraded to the Ref 3 there was a step up in overall stage width/depth, dynamic slam, and overall natural presentation. I have to assume that there is a similar step up in performance between the LS-27 and the Ref 5, but again, if the LS-27 is a notch up from the Ref 3, it is already a very very good preamp to start from.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:21 AM

I have the LS27. Have listened to the Ref5 but haven't done a comparison. Both units sound terrific.

In terms of gain, I use the LS27 with low gain setting. I like the sound better at this level. Also, find it to be quieter. My amp is ARC's DS450.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-20-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
I have the LS27. Have listened to the Ref5 but haven't done a comparison. Both units sound terrific.

In terms of gain, I use the LS27 with low gain setting. I like the sound better at this level. Also, find it to be quieter. My amp is ARC's DS450.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike...I used to use my LS-26 in low gain as well. Not only is it quieter, but it gives you finer gradations when increasing/decreasing the volume, because you are in the lowest gain setting. So you can dial-in the volume level much more to where you want it.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Cyril

What difference does the gain setting make in dialing in the volume level? I believe there are around 104 volume steps of around .5 db resolution. As long as the lowest volume is above one there is no difference to the volume graduations if starting at one or starting at 60 on the volume setting.

I can't say I have noticed any difference in quietness between gain settings, just different sound quality. Makes me think the overall gain settings are not based on max gain with attenuation, but two or three seperate gain structures - which would account for the different sq.

The LS27 certainly sounds great, at low or med gain imo. I use the med gain. High gain is a little foward and could be bright on certain music

Cheers

Last edited by turntable; 08-20-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Cyril

What difference does the gain setting make in dialing in the volume level? I believe there are around 104 volume steps of around .5 db resolution. As long as the lowest volume is above one there is no difference to the volume graduations if starting at one or starting at 60 on the volume setting.

I can't say I have noticed any difference in quietness between gain settings, just different sound quality. Makes me think the overall gain settings are not based on max gain with attenuation, but two or three seperate gain structures - which would account for the different sq.

The LS27 certainly sounds great, at low or med gain imo. I use the med gain. High gain is a little foward and could be bright on certain music

Cheers
Shane...that makes sense. I am going on memory hear as it has been some 4 years since I had the LS-26 but that was my impression. I may be wrong and your logic makes sense.