AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 01-16-2019, 01:54 PM

Default Phono suggestions for Kiseki Purpleheart

Recently relocated my Sutherland Phd from my main system to my office system. Great phono but large and heavy (38 lbs). Was killing my back.

Looking for externally accessible adjustments in something less massive. Meanwhile my Kiseki languishes as all my other gear is fixed loading. Suggestions welcomed.

Last edited by Legrace; 01-16-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:24 PM

Among other I own a Kiseki Purple Heart, and I have listened her with the following phono stages :

1. Graham Slee, couldnt reveal the full potential of this fine cartridge
2. Pass Labs XP 25: average phono with high noise floor, however made the Kiseki to shine
3. Pass Labs XP 27: better than XP 27. With this phono I was living in true happiness and was enjoying the Kiseki. Friends were coming and were staying speechless with this combo...until:
4. Heard the Kiseki with Gryphon Sonnet...I just couldn’t believe it... the cartridge was sounding almost like my Lyra Etna that’s why I went finally with
5. Gryphon Legato Legacy and since then all cartridges are shining in a stellar level. The dynamics, the detail, the scene is just beyond any description
Old 01-16-2019, 04:15 PM

The XP27 is 55 lbs, which is moving in wrong direction. Looking for compact size along with high performance.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:45 PM
Retired

Giant killer - Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk. Love mine.
https://6moons.com/audioreviews/raysamuels/f117_2.html
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 01-16-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:55 PM

I use an Aesthetix Rhea Signature.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:26 PM

Herron VTPH-2A easily hits all the notes you require. I have one an it sounds awesome! Handily beats my Rogue Ares Magnum, which itself is quite a good phono stage at its (very similar) $3K price point. In fact I just swapped Ares back in last night to check/compare and holy cow...that didn't last long! The Herron offers flexible loading via RCA plugs, perfect gain structure for your Kiseki (I use mine with a 0.5 mV Shelter Accord and 0.45 mV Orotofon Cadenza Bronze), very quiet, liquid midrange, excellent resolution and dynamics. Sounds very clean, neutral, and linear with just a touch of the tube sweetness/magic. I stocked mine with four Telefunken smooth-plate 12AX7 and an Ei Yugo 12AT7.

Definitely weighs a good bit less than 38 lbs (I think low-20's), but not as light as the super-compact SS units - you'll be sacrificing way too much performance with those, anyways. The VTPH-2A is only beaten out by my VAC Renaissance SE phono stage with Koetsu Coralstone (the ultimate in a romantic yet highly resolving sound), at more than 3 times the price (not to mention the Coralstone's cost)! And the Koetsu might be a special case because those 0.3mV Platinum motors seem to really, really want to be paired with the right step-up transformer. Whereas cartridges in the 0.5mV range (Ortofon Cadenza, Shelter Accord and Harmony) seem to do extremely well with a FET stage like the Herron's.

Your Kiseki is an unusual case at 41 ohms and 0.5mV, but that will be no problem with the Herron's flexible resistor loading and 2 gain settings. Given how great that Kiseki is supposed to be, I'm guessing this might be a dream match. I recommend you call up Keith Herron and talk to him about your needs.

Last edited by mulveling; 01-16-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:19 PM

I use my Kiseki PurpleHeart NS with the Audio Research Reference 3 Phono. I reckon the new VTL TP2.5i is going to be stellar with it too
Old 01-19-2019, 09:22 AM

Thanks for all the fine suggestions! Don’t want to hobble my Kiseki by aiming too low, but as I indicated downsizing is a priority as well. What I like about the F-117 suggestion, not to mention the external controls and generous range of settings. Seems like quite good value. Herron I know is well regarded in this space; planning on giving their products a closer look. Any thoughts anyone can share re the latest version of Dynavector P75 Mk IV?

Last edited by Legrace; 01-19-2019 at 09:26 AM.