AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Paradigm

Paradigm All about the Sound

Old 06-05-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
It's human nature to be bothered when we love something or somebody and someone has a strong opposing opinion. Especially if they feel the opinion isn't justified. Not on this forum, but I was recently told the Persona 7F/9H destroyed my speakers. I took it personally, because I believe at a certain level it's more about preference than one component destroying another. I traveled a couple of hours to hear the Paradigm Persona 7Fs. I didn't think they were bright and thought they sound really good. Did they destroy my speakers? Let's just say I still have my speakers. My speakers aren't perfect and everyone doesn't like them, but I do and that's what counts. So, if you love your Persona 9H's, sit-back and enjoy them!
Agreed! Funny, the two speakers I am looking at right now are the Persona 9h's and the Monitor Audio PL500 II's. Difficult decision.
Parasound JC-1s (3), A-21
Kharma dB11-s Mains, Cremona M (center) Grand Pianos (rears)
JL Audio Gotham G213 V1(1) F-112V1(1) F-112V2(1)
Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR Dynavector XX2 MK2 Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Audio Research Ref 2se phono
Lumin X1
Lumin S1
Oppo-205
AudioQuest Hurricane HC, Tornado HC(2), and Thunder HC, Diamond RJ/E
PS Audio P-10(2) AC-3, AC-5, AC-10 PCs.
(6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, (6)Furutech outlets.
(1) GDX-DR-NCF, (2) GDX-D Gold, (3) GDX-D Rhodium
AZ Absolute Copper, and Clear Day Audio solid silver Bal ICs.
WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables.
Rob
Old 06-05-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robc33 View Post
Agreed! Funny, the two speakers I am looking at right now are the Persona 9h's and the Monitor Audio PL500 II's. Difficult decision.
In my humble opinion you can't go wrong with either one. It comes down to your room and preferences. The problem is "we" tend to make blanket statements about speakers, when it's a "system" that we're listening to. Like most high-end speakers the PL500 II's are chameleon like and can sound very different depending on the room, set-up, cables, amp/preamp, and source.
I attended a listening session hosted by Magico two days ago. I was glad I went, because there was a discussion about proper set-up of speakers and where to start. Long story short, I went to Lowes and purchased a laser tape measure. My wife and I spent several hours Saturday night and a couple more on Sunday to get the PL500 II's dialed in. I will keep my PL500 II's for a very long time. I'll send you a PM and you can call me if you have any questions about the PL500 II's. I'll tell you the good and bad
Old 06-06-2018, 02:13 AM

What makes me a little uncomfortable is when someone said that I like bright speakers and that's not the case ... I have 25 years of experience and I've had dozens of equipment at home. Marten, Rockport, TAD, Estelon are reference speakers that I had in the past and I know when speaker sound is bright or lean. ctsooner insists saying that I like bright speakers ... this is not true, I hate systems that sound bright and lean...I like a full, natural and organic sound and at this moment is what I have here at home.

Last edited by Mainline Audio; 06-06-2018 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:05 AM

nabcs,
My final thoughts. You posted "For me every Magico I heard are dull and lifeless." I don't understand how you post comments like that, but get so offended that someone considers your speakers bright. Speakers are evaluated in the context of a system and room. Is it possible that every system/room he heard the 9h's in the sound was bright? Just like every system/room you heard Magico's in they sound lifeless? It doesn't mean that both won't sound neutral and/or great in the right system/room.

Last edited by Ricjor1; 06-06-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:53 AM

I am not offended...for god sake...this is a hobby, not politics...and I said "every Magico that I heard"...not you or ctsooner heard. And ctsooner said that Paradigm Persona are bright...full sentence!!
Old 06-08-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
It's human nature to be bothered when we love something or somebody and someone has a strong opposing opinion. Especially if they feel the opinion isn't justified. Not on this forum, but I was recently told the Persona 7F/9H destroyed my speakers. I took it personally, because I believe at a certain level it's more about preference than one component destroying another. I traveled a couple of hours to hear the Paradigm Persona 7Fs. I didn't think they were bright and thought they sound really good. Did they destroy my speakers? Let's just say I still have my speakers. My speakers aren't perfect and everyone doesn't like them, but I do and that's what counts. So, if you love your Persona 9H's, sit-back and enjoy them!
'

GREAT POST..... I have plenty of folks tell me my Vandersteen Quatro's are this or that or aren't this or that and I just say fine. I respect folks opinions as that's all audio is. .
Old 06-08-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabcs View Post
What makes me a little uncomfortable is when someone said that I like bright speakers and that's not the case ... I have 25 years of experience and I've had dozens of equipment at home. Marten, Rockport, TAD, Estelon are reference speakers that I had in the past and I know when speaker sound is bright or lean. ctsooner insists saying that I like bright speakers ... this is not true, I hate systems that sound bright and lean...I like a full, natural and organic sound and at this moment is what I have here at home.

Apologies then. I wasn't trying to make anyone uncomfortable at all. As I have always said and we all hear differently. What's bright to one may not be bright to someone else. It doesn't matter how many years we all have into anything. It doesn't matter what systems we have had. It's about what we like. You know what you like, so you shouldn't take it personally. I stand by my posts about the 9H to my ears and that takes nothing away from you and everyone else who likes them. You may not like my system.

I purchased a pair of speakers and build my system around them. I haven't owned many speakers as I audition the heck out of things over a couple of years and then purchase. Some like to buy adn sell often. Neither way is best. Again, that's the fun of this hobby.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:27 PM

ctsooner, no need to apologize ... I understand what you're saying.

I did not have all the speakers I heard ... I simply had the opportunity to hear those speakers in my house. For example, five years ago I listened Marten and TAD in my house, and I chose Marten (the TADs are coherent but lean in the midrange).
This time I listened to Rockport (great sound, but serious serious problems in my difficult room) and Paradigm 9H and I chose Paradigm.

And it's true, I'm blessed and have a lot of fun listening to this kind of equipment.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabcs View Post
ctsooner, no need to apologize ... I understand what you're saying.

I did not have all the speakers I heard ... I simply had the opportunity to hear those speakers in my house. For example, five years ago I listened Marten and TAD in my house, and I chose Marten (the TADs are coherent but lean in the midrange).
This time I listened to Rockport (great sound, but serious serious problems in my difficult room) and Paradigm 9H and I chose Paradigm.

And it's true, I'm blessed and have a lot of fun listening to this kind of equipment.
As the saying goes "Variety is the spice of life!", and I find that applies very well to high end audio. We all have different tastes and preferences and as a result there's a wide variety of gear available to choose from. Having the opportunity to audition equipment in your own system is invaluable, and there are no absolutes when it comes to audio. Finding what sounds best to you in your room is really all that matters, and it sounds like you're enjoying the process as well as the results you've achieved. A job well done and now you can sit back and enjoy the tunes!
Old 06-12-2018, 09:27 PM

Totally agree guys. I am very sensitive to harsh sounding speakers or ones that are boosted a bit in the lower or mid treble. MANY are for a lot of reasons. David Wilson built a huge company out of that and many others have followed his lead. Funny thing is that Darell now has employed the soft dome tweeters so they aren't harsh anymore, but they still lack micro and macro detail. I love my local Wilson dealer, but couldn't buy through him as I don't like the speakers. Same thing with the 9H's. I would have loved to get them from the local guy, but they just aren't my cup of tea. . I'm sure he's sold a bunch though.