AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 08-19-2013, 04:58 PM

Default Advice required on next upgrade ....

Hi guys was looking for some advice/ opinions on my next upgrade.

I currently own an ARC CD5 and LS26, Krell 302e and Wilson Sophia 2.

I live in the UK and therefore want to buy secondhand. So I am considering one of the following :

1 - replace the CD5 with a CD8

2 - replace the LS26 with a Ref 5 (ideally a SE)

3 - wait a couple of years and replace the LS26 with a REF DAC and use the CD5 as a transport.

Any thoughts on my best move ? What would provide the biggest performance gain / or best valve upgrade.

Thanks, Mike
Old 08-19-2013, 05:11 PM

If it were me (being an owner of ARC and having done somewhat similar upgrades), I would go for the Ref DAC option with the CD 5 as a transport and then eventually move up to the Ref 5SE. I did a similar upgrade a few years back from an LS 25 MK2 to Ref 3 with significant results, and then from CD 3 to a Linn Unidisk 1.1 (the Ref CD 7 had not been released then). I also think the Ref DAC is likely to be a very robust product with possibilities we may not be able to think of. Whatever you do, it should be fun!

I can't confirm this, but I have also heard from my ARC dealer that the LS 26 and 27 are much closer to Ref quality than my old LS 25 MK2 was compared to the Ref 3.

Oops, one more thing, ARC has released the Ref CD 9, but I have not heard one yet. I'm not sure how much better than the Ref CD 8 it is.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.

Last edited by Robert_Anderson; 08-19-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:24 PM

Thanks for that

I believe the REF DAC also acts as a preamp of similar quality to the REF 5 SE and as I don't have a turntable I wouldn't need the REF 5 at all. However it's a new/ expensive piece of kit so I'll have to wait if I go for that option.

However a lot cheaper than buying a CD8/9 and a REF 5. Not sure if this combo would sound a lot better as I would have to retain the CD5 as a transport.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:35 PM

If you can use the Ref DAC as a preamp, it would be perfect. I didn't know you could do that, but I think it has the same output stage as the Ref 5 SE. I would think the transport on the CD 5 is very close to the CD 8/9. I think the output stage is where the real money is. I haven't had an ARC CD player for a few years, but the CD 3 was very good. Have you compared the CD 5 to the CD 8?

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:01 PM

Mike --
In my secondary system, located in my workshop, I am using a Ref 5SE and a CD8. I formerly had an LS 25MKII preamp followed by a REF 3. I also formerly had a CD 3MKII disc player before upgrading my current CD 8. I am extremely pleased with the combination of the CD 8 feeding the REF 5SE. Both were substantial upgrades to the REF 3 and CD 3MKII. Both have proven to be very reliable as well. I could not be happier with the current combination! The tonal balance is amazing. I never tire of listening, and this rig is on almost all day when I am working! Not only does it make the time go faster, but at the end of the day, I almost hate to turn it off! Good luck with whatever your decision may be, I do not think that you will go wrong with anything of recent to current vintage Audio Research!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 AM

I would choose option 2 and switch the LS26 with a REF5. IMO this is a significant upgrade more so than the CD upgrade in option 1. Would not consider option 3 as you never know what the future holds thus why not have an extra couple years of better sound by making an upgrade you can afford today.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:30 AM

I haven’t compared a CD8 with a CD 5 - realistically I’ll have to take a chance as I’m unlikely to buy from a dealer.

Been giving this some more thought and perhaps the REF5 SE would be the best move. I’m not a serial upgrader and I can see myself being very happy with one for a number of years.

I also wonder if the pre-amp in the REF DAC is really as good as a REF 5 SE. Can’t see how that can be the case if it’s only £2.5k more expensive than the SE. Surely they have had to cut some corners to cram all of that into one box ?

Finally my gut tells me that a LS26 to REF5 is probably a bigger jump than CD5 to CD8. Certainly involves a bigger outlay to upgrade.

Any more views appreciated.

Last edited by Mikeoz; 08-20-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:30 AM

Also worth mentioning I only listen to CD

Last edited by Mikeoz; 08-20-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post
I haven’t compared a CD8 with a CD 5 - realistically I’ll have to take a chance as I’m unlikely to buy from a dealer.

Been giving this some more thought and perhaps the REF5 SE would be the best move. I’m not a serial upgrader and I can see myself being very happy with one for a number of years.

I also wonder if the pre-amp in the REF DAC is really as good as a REF 5 SE. Can’t see how that can be the case if it’s only £2.5k more expensive than the SE. Surely they have had to cut some corners to cram all of that into one box ?

Finally my gut tells me that a LS26 to RE5 is a bigger jump than CD5 to CD8. Certainly involves a bigger outlay to upgrade.

Any more views appreciated.
Good morning Mike.

You have just saved me from typing out my reasoning behind a little advice in this regard by already reaching the same conclusion

Jasper.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:41 AM

If you only listen to CD, I would very strongly suggest auditioning the Reimyo DAP 999 DAC! I speak from experience.

Home Main System:

Other