AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 12-11-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
Thanks Jim - that is quite warm indeed. Is there an air circulation restriction that could be causing the 30 degree difference between right/left fronts?

Bob
Bob
Not really sure but it could be due to the manner in which my sub is connected. I may work on that tomorrow.

JIm
Old 12-11-2011, 09:46 PM

I have been listening to my system again with the Luxman integrated for the past several hours and I must say I am smitten. I must be careful that I don't fall into that trap of just having making a change to the system gets you thinking it is better and not just different. It is easy far too easy to hear "change" and get excited. Therefore everything I say here is preliminary until I hook up the 1.2ks again.

First, since I need to keep the Luxman close to my speakers due to my 8' speaker cables, I am left everything connected to my C-1000 and am running the XLR output from the Mac pre to the balanced input on the 590. That means I have to adjust gain on both the pre and the integrated. This is kind of guessing game but in general I am not getting noise that I can hear. I may move the MCD-1100 closer to the Luxman in the next couple of days and connect it directly.

Second, I do not listen at SPL's that some of you do. Average SPL for normal listening hangs around 81dB. Sure I get peaks in the mid 90's but I am not sure if I have ever seen the meters on my 1.2ks reach 120watts.

Third, I have not listened to my 1.2ks without the REL G1 in the loop since I replaced my Transparent Power cables with the MM2x versions. Therefore I will have to try that for apples to apples comparison.

Here are my first impressions. I could easily sell my 1.2ks, my C-1000 and my REL G1 and be [I]musically[/I] happy. Those of you who use Class A amps understand that there is a little something different to the sound. Everything sounds a bit smoother, especially vocals.

I have not had time to play some tracks with heavy bass to see whether the amp might be stressed without a separate sub in the loop. That being said, I really like the sound of the upper bass/lower mid range. The unit produces this extremely well. I could feel the stand-up bass yet there was no boominess or bass build-up in the room.

There does seem to be some differences in vocal presentation. I think the Luxman sound is not quite as forward (less depth) as the 1.2ks, and for me that is a negative. I wonlt be able to be sure until I switch back to the McIntosh amps. The soundstage also might be a bit smaller with the Luxman, but again that could also occur with the 1.2ks without the G1 in the loop. When you are talking small differences only quick A/B comparisons allow you to really hear these differences and that is not possible when you have to make so many connection changes..

Fiona Joy Hawkins piano sounded very real with nice decay. Jennifer Warnes voice on The Well was as good as I have heard, while the bass was very musical. Overall what I am most impressed with using the 590a II is the natural sound of vocals.

I have a lot more listening to do and I need to switch back to the McIntosh amps to verify my impressions. I doubt I will blow up my system, I just need to figure out how I will use this integrated.

Jim
Old 12-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jim.......Why not use the CDR XLR outputs on your C1000 to the Luxman. These are a fixed output.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-12-2011, 05:28 PM

Does your dealer have the 509? It's not class A, but it's Luxman's top integrated. It doesn't have a remote, for optimal sound reproduction. Every part is top quality in this machine. Just look at the volume control.

ラックスマン株式会社|ホーム製品情報|プリメインアンプL-509u - LUXMAN
Old 12-12-2011, 06:21 PM

Hi Jim,

I've been enjoying following your Luxman adventure. I wish you well as it's a big step from Mcintosh. Once I jumped on to Burmester I never looked back on the mighty Mac.
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 12-12-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Does your dealer have the 509? It's not class A, but it's Luxman's top integrated. It doesn't have a remote, for optimal sound reproduction. Every part is top quality in this machine. Just look at the volume control.

ラックスマン株式会社|ホーム製品情報|プリメインアンプL-509u - LUXMAN
No, and I prefer the looks of the 590 with the door to hide the controls.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
No, and I prefer the looks of the 590 with the door to hide the controls.
OK
Old 12-12-2011, 09:44 PM

I spent a couple more hours this evening listening to the Luxman 590a II before swapping cables back to my 1.2k's. I did not reconnect my REL G1 therefore I am listening just as I have been the last couple of days with the Luxman.

Well I was pretty accurate when I noted that I thought the Mac's present a larger soundstage and that the vocals are a bit more forward than with the 590. That is exactly what I am hearing as I listen to the same tracks with the 1.2ks in the loop. Also, the grat bass I was hearing without the G1 in the loop is still there with the Mac's. Those Transparent Powerlink MM2x's are much better than my older Reference Powerlink's in the low end.

Somehow the 590 is a bit more intimate with a smaller soundstage and holds up well in my system, yet the Mac's make me feel like I am "there".

I really like the Luxman unit and I am trying to figure out how I can use it. I don't want to let it go back.

Jim
Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Pssst - "bedroom system"
Old 12-12-2011, 10:19 PM

How much is the Luxman? ~10K?