AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 01-12-2017, 03:46 PM

Default AudioQuest Hurricane @ CES 2017

Hey guys, is this a prototype power cord from AQ?

Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:48 PM

And the DBS pack also seems to be a new design...
Does anybody have any clue about what's going on?
I haven't found any info on the cable!
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:14 PM

Looks pretty awesome!
Old 01-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Go Dawgs

Amazing.......3 power cords for the price of one.....question is what price will that be? I'm definitely someone who does believe that quality cables make a difference, but at what point does this get too much?

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 01-13-2017, 01:13 AM

This was not a thread about power cord prices... I was quite interested in this particular model and I find that there is lack of knowledge about it...
Is AQ onto something? Maybe a new power cord line?!

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:13 AM

Looks a little messy but I can see how that can be a particularly superbly engineered cord.

In the meantime, I'll slum it up with my Audioquest WEL PC.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
Looks a little messy but I can see how that can be a particularly superbly engineered cord.

In the meantime, I'll slum it up with my Audioquest WEL PC.
Truly a very interesting picture that has me very intrigued! I had a huge investment back in the days of my 7.1 HT & 2-ch hybrid system (7 pairs of Sky, 2 pairs of Cheetah, 3 pairs of Volcano, 3 YIQ-5s, several Eagle Eyes, 2 Ravens, custom-built Sky/REL subwoofer cables, 2 pairs of 45+foot Gibraltars for my LS/RS and LSB/RSB,...I was a big fan of AQ and their DBS system). Their PCs on the other hand never stayed in my system as they were dark and murky and didn't do much (for me, remember it's only an opinion). Same for their initial WEL Signature digital and analog cables but again, that's only an opinion and was very specific to my system I'm sure.

This picture on the other hand is VERY interesting as it looks as though based upon the fact there is NO mention anywhere via Google search of any specifics on these cables and the hand-labeled tags on each that AQ brought a new top-of-the-line PC prototype to CES. They also appear to be using 1 NRG-1000 prior-generation cable (or something similiar) in there for some reason. Interesting things I see;

- all new DBS (as noted) or possibly just a new shell over the same 72v DBS

- new bespoke power connectors as nothing that I know of, except possibly Bocchino power plugs could take that many and size of conductors in...

- from the size of each part of the braid, looks like at least 3 WILD level PCs or WEL Signatures with their counter-spiral internal geometry but with each part of the path (3 logical conductors) separated out and then more traditionally braided externally....leaves me wondering if they'll go to this approach for their analog and digital cables in this new offering as well. Potential benefits of taking this approach are obvious and very interesting...wonder what is actually inside each one of those parts and how much of it is shielding and braid thickness versus internal conductor network and geometry...

AQ obviously has some new (for them) tricks up their sleeve to show us; it could be very interesting to see and hear this cable if they mean to introduce it to the market...thank you to the OP for posting this. What room was it?

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 01-13-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:51 AM

I sent Alasdair an email inquiring about this new PC.

My guess if it's above the wel... It's going to cost a LOT of money.

In that case, I'm happy staying where I am.

I wonder if they'll name this Wel2.

And maybe Hurricane is the proto name.

I think the new DBS unit looks bulky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
Truly a very interesting picture that has me very intrigued! I had a huge investment back in the days of my 7.1 HT & 2-ch hybrid system (7 pairs of Sky, 2 pairs of Cheetah, 3 pairs of Volcano, 3 YIQ-5s, several Eagle Eyes, 2 Ravens, custom-built Sky/REL subwoofer cables, 2 pairs of 45+foot Gibraltars for my LS/RS and LSB/RSB,...I was a big fan of AQ and their DBS system). Their PCs on the other hand never stayed in my system as they were dark and murky and didn't do much (for me, remember it's only an opinion). Same for their initial WEL Signature digital and analog cables but again, that's only an opinion and was very specific to my system I'm sure.

This picture on the other hand is VERY interesting as it looks as though based upon the fact there is NO mention anywhere via Google search of any specifics on these cables and the hand-labeled tags on each that AQ brought a new top-of-the-line PC prototype to CES. They also appear to be using 1 NRG-1000 prior-generation cable (or something similiar) in there for some reason. Interesting things I see;

- all new DBS (as noted) or possibly just a new shell over the same 72v DBS

- new bespoke power connectors as nothing that I know of, except possibly Bocchino power plugs could take that many and size of conductors in...

- from the size of each part of the braid, looks like at least 3 WILD level PCs or WEL Signatures with their counter-spiral internal geometry but with each part of the path (3 logical conductors) separated out and then more traditionally braided externally....leaves me wondering if they'll go to this approach for their analog and digital cables in this new offering as well. Potential benefits of taking this approach are obvious and very interesting...wonder what is actually inside each one of those parts and how much of it is shielding and braid thickness versus internal conductor network and geometry...

AQ obviously has some new (for them) tricks up their sleeve to show us; it could be very interesting to see and hear this cable if they mean to introduce it to the market...thank you to the OP for posting this. What room was it?

Last edited by joey_v; 02-04-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
I have been lucky enough to have their newest AQ Wel PC and speaker wire... I'm amazed by them.

I sent Alasdair an email inquiring about this new PC.

My guess if it's above the wel... It's going to cost a LOT of money.

In that case, I'm happy staying where I am.

I wonder if they'll name this Wel2.

And maybe Hurricane is the proto name.

I think the new DBS unit looks bulky.
Let us know what you find out please! WEL Sigs across the board are not inexpensive but bring alot of performance with price regardless of what type.

If this is really a 3-up conglomerate cable of WILD or WEL Sigs, they may have to name it <extremely> "Well-Off" as that will be the market segment they will have to target
Old 01-13-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
Let us know what you find out please! WEL Sigs across the board are not inexpensive but bring alot of performance with price regardless of what type.

If this is really a 3-up conglomerate cable of WILD or WEL Sigs, they may have to name it <extremely> "Well-Off" as that will be the market segment they will have to target
No kidding. Wel-off

I thought I was doing well with my newest version wel sigs