AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 06-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post

Marc, If not too much of an imposition would you mind inquiring ,via your dealer, as to ARC's position with respect to the REF150 please.

Jasper.
I was told that they recommend them in all kt120 based products. But you can also call arc yourself...
Old 06-14-2014, 04:04 PM

The Galileo name is a bow to both ARC past and the Italian connection through the Fine Sounds liaison. I don't read any more into it than that. Fine Sounds believed that ARC needed some lifestyle products to fill a niche that clearly Fine Sounds determined needs filling. Whether the Galileo series sonics are as good as the Ref series, better, or falls short remains to be assessed. That the Ref series will continue to evolve independently in its non lifestyle guise seems assured.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcxxx View Post
The Galileo name is a bow to both ARC past and the Italian connection through the Fine Sounds liaison. I don't read any more into it than that. Fine Sounds believed that ARC needed some lifestyle products to fill a niche that clearly Fine Sounds determined needs filling. Whether the Galileo series sonics are as good as the Ref series, better, or falls short remains to be assessed. That the Ref series will continue to evolve independently in its non lifestyle guise seems assured.
+1...that is the way I read this as well.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
If the Galileo line was going to be sonically better than Ref it must be based on better components. But there was no statement that there were better or new components, just aesthetics and KT150's. So I think it's quite unlikely it's better. Could easily be worse
Using better components is one thing, but equally as important are circuit design/topology implemented and also tighter parts tolerance perhaps.
If ARC is launching Galileo purely for sake of looks alone (none sonic benefit), then it's a mistake, imo. Nonetheless, I'm sure their R&D as well marketing team have looked hard into all requisites to successfully penetrate the market.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman View Post
Not sure of naming convention within ARC in the future.
Take for example Synergistic cables in the past, they topped their Reference designation with Designer Reference then Designer Reference Squared to Abosolute Reference. When ran out of References, resorted to other names to topped it i.e Tesla, Galileo. Likewise Vitus, currently using the Masterpiece naming to cut above their previous flagship. For now yes, Ref is top at ARC, but could may well be Master Ref, Galileo Ref or simply the Galileo tomorrow.
*I used/watched ARC evolve their flagships (from SP11 for preamp) D > M > Classic to current longest reigning Ref Series.. Hard to predict what lies ahead.
Your observations are correct. We can also include some others like Transparent cable Reference line and then Opus as their new flagship. But all of these new flagship lines are more expensive than rest of the lines including Reference. ARC may take the same route, who knows, but if this is the case I do not think then new flagship line would sound better and also have cheaper pricing than Reference. My two cents of course.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:24 AM

Maybe the Galileo was their idea to enter the Asian markets, where ARC sales have been traditionally very poor (there have never been an ARC distributor in Japan for example).
Old 06-15-2014, 08:54 AM

No point for me if the Galileo line is better or worst than Reference.
I am planning to keep my Ref 5SE for at least the next five years, as it is that good!
Than we will see again.

Cheers.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Wow! how would you describe the result with KT150 instead of KT120? Do you like the result?
Night and day. As good as their amps are the KT150s bring their products to a whole different level. Having had them for over two weeks now it was one of the best upgrades I have ever experienced.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
Night and day. As good as their amps are the KT150s bring their products to a whole different level. Having had them for over two weeks now it was one of the best upgrades I have ever experienced.
What amplifier?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:56 PM

I believe Priaptor when from Ref 250s to Ref 75. So I believe he is talking about Ref 75. He can obviously confirm this separately.