AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 01-05-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercom View Post
Just chill for a while when your VR arrives. I think its going to go very well with your Sophia Electric 300bs - which are excellent amps. Personally, I would recommend a decent analog system before changing your amps.
Oh, I'm chilling! I had a moment where I got carried away and spent a little time on a tangent.

BTW, I hope I have a decent analog system as it stands...

Last edited by FranklinLG; 01-05-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:26 PM

Sibelius,

I would welcome any input you might want to share. I have the Koetsue Urishi Vermillion, and just had it rebuilt by Koetsu because one of my kids readjusted the needle.... So the body is nicely broken in, but the internals are all new. Not terribly concerned about the price point, so fire away. I have the Auditorium, A23 - standard devon impedance. I'm waiting to see what Auditorium comes up with later this spring when I'm told it will release its "homage" varietal at the denon impedance.

Last edited by FranklinLG; 01-05-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 PM

Sorry didn't mean to say it the way it probably sounded. Based on my experience with the VR, I would upgrade your turntable before I upgraded your amps is what I should have said. Amps will make a difference but not as much as upgrading your source - IMO.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:50 PM

Stercom,

No problem. It's all good! And I appreciate your input.

Last edited by FranklinLG; 01-06-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:00 AM

Talking A clarification on a digression | Updated post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
Lowens,

Candidly, I don’t think I can say I employ any tangible logic with any of this. I do think, however, that over time I’ve learned to lessen my errors a great deal with experience and a little due diligence! So relying on that and gut instincts has put me where I’m at right now.

Now to whatever logic that was employed, well, I think the following points may provide some insight:

• Budget! The Petite (and all of Shindo’s speakers) is significantly more expensive than the O. But the O was within a “comfortable” range for me.
• I did not had a chance to listen to either the Orangutans or Shindo, but felt more comfortable with the financial risks going with the Orangutan instead of the shindo. I think before I make that kind of jump I'm flying to a dealer and listening!
• I totally dig the look of the Orangutan! And more so than the Petite.
• W.A.F.!
• My set-up does double duty with HT and audio. This is out of necessity and not necessarily preference. So décor, décor, décor… See note above about W.A.F.!
• I have a large room, so I can work with a lot of options, and was led to believe the O would more than fill the room, which I think it has with the 300B.
• My understanding is that the Orangutans were "voiced" with a 300B, who's I don't know. But that's what I read and or heard. I was also led to believe that the 300B is an ideal match for the Orangutan!
• Did I mention budget?
• Did I mention W.A.F.?
After further reflection and contemplation, I've updated this analysis. The remaining rant, that was previously posted, was retracted after further consideration... I simply digressed too far...
Old 01-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Question F/u query re anaolg upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercom View Post
Sorry didn't mean to say it the way it probably sounded. Based on my experience with the VR, I would upgrade your turntable before I upgraded your amps is what I should have said. Amps will make a difference but not as much as upgrading your source - IMO.
Stercom,

If you don't mind, since we've gone a little bit out on a tangent here, can you offer some input on why you would suggest an upgrade on the turntable? And also, what TT's would you suggest I might consider. Candidly, I'm extremely happy with the P9, but your terse response has me curious. Incidentally, I don't mean to imply anything negative when I use "Terse". I just appreciated your concise response.

Thanks in advance for your comments and input.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Lowens,
• My understanding is that the Orangutans were "voiced" with a 300B, who's I don't know. But that's what I read and or heard. I was also led to believe that the 300B is an ideal match for the Orangutan!
FYI-I know Shindo's Western Electric 300B was used in the process- I doubt it was the only amp John used (he typically uses a range).
Old 01-06-2012, 02:13 PM

The VR is an analog lover's dream. For me, going from a VPI SuperScoutmaster to a Garrard 301 and finally to the Shindo 301 made a much bigger leap in realistic sound than going from the Haut Brion, Cortese and finally the Sinhonias. Thats all I was trying to say. The Rega P9 is a great table. Its just that big idlers with 12" arms and SPUs are in a whole other league, and thats the type of turntable the VR was built around.

Last edited by Stercom; 01-06-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey View Post
FYI-I know Shindo's Western Electric 300B was used in the process- I doubt it was the only amp John used (he typically uses a range).
I believe that the Haut Brion was also used in the O96 voicing process. John is also a real fan of the Devore 8/HB combo.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Stercom,

If you don't mind, since we've gone a little bit out on a tangent here, can you offer some input on why you would suggest an upgrade on the turntable? And also, what TT's would you suggest I might consider. Candidly, I'm extremely happy with the P9, but your terse response has me curious. Incidentally, I don't mean to imply anything negative when I use "Terse". I just appreciated your concise response.

Thanks in advance for your comments and input.
What I always heard is that the P9 is capable of performing at a very high level. I almost purchased one, but in the end went with a entry level TW Acustic table. (maybe an unwise move afterall)

I have a decent LP payback system, however its not the traditional shindo, 301, vintage systems that most incorporate with their Shindo based amps/pre's. My LP collection is small.
I got back into LP payback about 3 years ago, and find my system good in that regard, but at times not incrementally better than digital overall. I have had my table/arm/cartridge professionally set up and am utilizing the appropriate cartridge for loading (Ortofon SPU).
Have thought about abandoning my LP rig, and even inquired about obtaining a VR without a phono section (no can do apparently)