AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 12-26-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smatsui324 View Post
I have the carbon fiber headband on my LCD X (2014 edition) that made a night vs day difference for overall comfort. I was about to sell my LCD X because I couldn't wear them more than 30 minutes without discomfort. With the carbon fiber headband, I can wear them for hours without any issues.

Last week I sold my Stax SR-009 headphones and my Ray Samuels electrostatic headphone amp because my Focal Utopias with a Wywires Platinum balanced cable gets most of headphone listening time. My other headphones are the LCD X, HD800 with SDR mod and 19ga OCC Cu cable hardwired to the drivers and painted matte black by Colorware (they look exactly like the 800s), AQ Nighthawks, and vintage modified AKG K340. I've been into high end headphones for over 25 years. That said, I still prefer to listen to either of my 2 speaker based stereo systems. Headphones and speaker systems each have their place in my household. I like listening to headphones late at night before I go to bed.
Good to hear from another headphone enthusiast on AA! Welcome!

Definitely good to have both, a 2 channel and a headphone setup for late night listening. Nice collection of headphones. I also own Utopia and rotate through the Audeze, Focal and Sennheisers just to keep things fresh and exciting.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:44 AM

I finally heard the Utopias in a decent setting this weekend. Wow, my prior skepticism was unfounded -- these are truly a top-class listening experience, and I think they handily beat the old moving-coil legends (Sony MDR-R10, Qualia 010, Grado HP1000, AKG K1000, ATH-L3000, Sennheiser HD600/650/800 -- all of which I have owned, besides the HD800), and can even compete with high-end electrostatic setups.

Headphone listening is truly a different experience. Some high-end listeners can dig it, others don't. I fall closer to Serge's position, though I still do prefer my 2ch overall. I think listeners that value realistic soundstage and imaging, as one of their very top sonic priorities, will mostly never come around to headphone listening. Likewise with those who value tactile impact as a top priority. I can shift my priorities around somewhat if I feel the overall presentation offers something significant. And I think that once you get to this level of headphones, what it offers can indeed be very significant.

Last edited by mulveling; 12-27-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
I finally heard the Utopias in a decent setting this weekend. Wow, my prior skepticism was unfounded -- these are truly a top-class listening experience, and I think they handily beat the old moving-coil legends (Sony MDR-R10, Qualia 010, Grado HP1000, AKG K1000, ATH-L3000, Sennheiser HD600/650/800 -- all of which I have owned, besides the HD800), and can even compete with high-end electrostatic setups.

Headphone listening is truly a different experience. Some high-end listeners can dig it, others don't. I fall closer to Serge's position, though I still do prefer my 2ch overall. I think listeners that value realistic soundstage and imaging, as one of their very top sonic priorities, will mostly never come around to headphone listening. Likewise with those who value tactile impact as a top priority. I can shift my priorities around somewhat if I feel the overall presentation offers something significant. And I think that once you get to this level of headphones, what it offers can indeed be very significant.
Totally agree! I've owned a lot of the top headphones too. I started out 25 years ago with the AKG340. Then I bought the Sennheiser HD580, 600, and 650. After that I had the Grado RS1, Sony CD3000, AKG K1000, K500, K701, Ultrasone 9, Audeze LCD2 and 2F, LCD3, LCD X, HiFiMan HE6 (twice), Sennheiser HD800 (twice), Denon D7000 (had it modified to a LA7000), Stax SR-009, and the Focal Utopia.

I've had a long list of amps too! Starting with Headroom Supreme, Grace M901, Ray Samuel Audio Raptor, SR71B, Hornet, Dark Star, and A10 Thunderbolt II, SPL Phonitor, Cavalli Liquid Fire, Eddy Current Zana Deux, Luxman N100 and P700u, and Audio gd Master 9.

I've found happiness, at least for now, with my Focal Utopias.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post

Definitely good to have both, a 2 channel and a headphone setup for late night listening. Nice collection of headphones. I also own Utopia and rotate through the Audeze, Focal and Sennheisers just to keep things fresh and exciting.
The Focal Utopia's midrange is in a class by itself IMO. I use it balanced with my Wywires Platinum cable driven by either my Luxman P700u or my McIntosh C2600 vacuum tube preamp with NOS Mullard tubes.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:46 AM

Quote:
The Focal Utopia's midrange is in a class by itself IMO. I use it balanced with my Wywires Platinum cable driven by either my Luxman P700u or my McIntosh C2600 vacuum tube preamp with NOS Mullard tubes.

I run my Utopias with Moon Black Dragons in balanced with the Violectric V281. Love the synergy between them.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the welcome! I wasn't aware that AA had a headphone forum. I've been a member of Head-fi since 2003 (SteveM324).
Old 12-27-2017, 02:00 AM

Quote:
I run my Utopias with Moon Black Dragons in balanced with the Violectric V281. Love the synergy between them.
I'm sure that combination sounds great. I've heard a friend's Vioelectric amp it was very musical, rich and full bodied sound. Very unfatiguing sound that I could easily live with. It wasn't the V281, it was lower model. I'm sure the 281 is even better.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:13 AM

Quote:
I'm sure that combination sounds great. I've heard a friend's Vioelectric amp it was very musical, rich and full bodied sound. Very unfatiguing sound that I could easily live with. It wasn't the V281, it was lower model. I'm sure the 281 is even better.
Yes, my preference is for rich, full bodied and musical above all else. The V281 is very dynamic and not slow on transients but the foundation of the amp is on very stout bass and builds from there through the mids keeping the mids full bodied and rich even with very neutral headphones. If the V281 was a beer, it would be this.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:14 PM

No better way to kick off the New Year than a nice extended listening session with the Utopias this afternoon. Listening to Paul Berner Band "Bird Has Flown" 352.8kHz/24 bit recording. Goosebumps and chills. What an incredible pair of headphones the Utopia really is.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
No better way to kick off the New Year than a nice extended listening session with the Utopias this afternoon. Listening to Paul Berner Band "Bird Has Flown" 352.8kHz/24 bit recording. Goosebumps and chills. What an incredible pair of headphones the Utopia really is.
I've been fighting very hard to resist the urge to buy a pair of Utopias and you are not making it easy...lol. I suggest giving the Naim Dac-V1 a try. It is the smoothest sounding solid state headphone amp I have ever heard and according to one dealer "Focal used this Dac-V1 as a reference during development of their Elear and Utopia headphones". I have seen dealers advertise discounts as much as 35% off retail on the Naim.