Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 07-24-2016, 03:51 AM

Pojrzo, welcome to AA.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:47 AM

Ekki, thank you.
Again ... excellent post.

At this moment I have the following set

4X KT88 Mullard (new)
2X RCA 5751 (12AX7) Black Plates (best I've ever heard)
2X RCA 12AU7 RCA Black Plates 1959
2X RCA 12BH7 Black Plates D Getter

And next week on the tests - KT88 Sophia Electric
Sophia Electric's Home Page

But my biggest problem is .... ATM300 with the Takatsuki TA-300B
I love this amp, his midrange, bass, and especially voice presentation.
This is exactly what I call "the music"
So, Iam afraid that finally I will end up with both of them.

Paweł

PS
Thanks vinod_david
Old 08-11-2016, 02:11 PM

Dear Pojrzo,

that ist the reason, why I own 3 of them, ATM1S, ATM2 and ATM4 - and I had the ATM 300 in the past - one of the best one box stereo 300B amps I know of!!!

A very, very seductive amp, which has an exceptional bass compared with most of the 300B amps.

Have fun with it....

With the new KT88 from New Sensor - if you ask me - it dosen´t matter if the print mullard or EH or Gold Lion on the glas....it is almost the same - and absolutely no comparison with a true NOS GEC, the next best thing will be EAT - they coppy the old Tesla KT88, an they do that quite good.

Greetings from Berlin

Ekki
Old 02-10-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pojrzo View Post
Ekki, thank you.
But my biggest problem is .... ATM300 with the Takatsuki TA-300B
I love this amp, his midrange, bass, and especially voice presentation.
This is exactly what I call "the music"
So, Iam afraid that finally I will end up with both of them.
I know the topic is old, but I will leave my opinion!
The ATM 300 with Takatsuki, is also my problem, today I have Mcintosh MC275, Mark Levinson 336 and ATM300, I have not connected the other amplifiers for months, the ATM 300 has captured my ears!
Old 02-11-2019, 05:13 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Nascimento... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 02-12-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Nascimento... Welcome to AA!
Thank you very much, Masterlu!
Old 04-29-2020, 11:11 AM

Who are current dealers for Airtight? Looking for a premamp!
Old 05-16-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by querstrommotor View Post
Greetings from Berlin,

as we had some Information regarding the Air Tight ATM2, I want to show 3 different Air Tight amp systems with some explanation and pictures, also trying to give some info on NOS Tubes.

So - here we go....

Basic stuff:

The company´s name is A&M LTD - Air Tight is the brand name.
A&M LTD has also a second brand - acoustic masterpiece, which is moderate priced and not made in Japan in the Air Tight factory.
Th founder of Air Tight is Miura San, who worked more than 30 years for Luxman and designed most of their legendary tube amps.
The company is really small, Miura and his partner, and 6 other people are working there.
Everything is handmade.

All Air Tight components have some things in common:

1. All chassis are made of steel - not aluminium.
This philosophy shares Air Tight with Shindo and also Kondo.
The reason for using steel is, that those companies do not use screened cables throughout their topology, to get proper shielding, the amplifiers has to be build in a certain style, were every section has his own compartment.
If you ever see a Shindo, Kondo or Air Tight open, you see the amazing amount of metal work.
The stele is also not screwed together, it is made of one pice, only the top plate and the bottom plate is screwed on.

Most of the bottom plates (every power amp...) are made of copper!
And some of the internal parts, which needs extra shielding and decoupling are also made out of copper - this technique shars Air Tight with Kondo.

The whole chassis is made in a style, that it is not recommended to use moern rack systems, as Finite Elements or HRX base systems.
It is ment to be put on simple plywood - this is exactly the same philosophy Shindo San employed in his amplifiers.
With air tight you should use a Box Furniture system or Norbert Gütte´s Bench.
The amplifiers bring everything, which is needed to decouple them from the platform, were they stand - if you do not follow that rule, they will sound slow, muddy and lifeless....

Air Tight has a tremendous lineup, which is addressing the vinyl fan....
It is also a little bit as with Shindo, because Miura builds Push Pull and SET amps - so there is a different philosophy as with Kondo San.
Also Miura do not use silver in his designs - it is always and throughout copper.

As everyone knows, the miracle of a tube amp is the output transformer together with the design, Miura is using just the finest transformrs, which are available today.
His output transformers are coming from Tamura ans Hashimoto, his Step Up transformer capsules are sourced from Hashimoto and My Sonic Lab (Matsudaira San of My Sonic Lab is a longtime friend of Miura and designed Air Tight´s cartridges).

All amps fature just single ended connection, and are built in a very, very classic way - so no modern features as volume control, and other gimmicks....

All gear is point to pont wired - so no printed circuit boards.
Miura is not using, as Shindo is doing, NOS parts - all parts are modern - and of the highest quality.
He also collects parts for further use, if he found things he really likes a lot.

Every preamp is made in two different versions, HQ and non HQ.
Th HQ version, has higher quality parts inside and the legendary Alps RK 501 volume potentiometer - the same Kondo uses in his M1000 and M77.
It is the best volume pot money can buy and nearly as good as volume switches, which are not as fine in their volume steps (no steps with the pot of course).

All amplifiers and preamps are very classic in their outer and technical design.
A lot of his creations will remind us at Marantz and vintage Mcintosh.
But it is not copied, Miura puts a lot of his own ideas into his products and his main goal is simplification and purification, if Miura can spare a stage - he would do that.
He can afford that, because he designs a tremendous quality in his power supplies.
Every tube has it´s own heater rail, and in this style he continues using highest quality techniques.

The portfolio is today something very special - you can choose of:
Power amplifiers
ATM1S EL 34 Stereo Amp, configureable to triode mode

ATM2 KT88 Stereo Amp, configureable to triode mode

ATM3 EL 34 Mono Block - switchable to triode mode

ATM4 6L6 GC or 5881 Stereo Amp - As mono block switchable

ATM300b 300B SET Stereo Amp

ATM211 211Mono Block Amp

Reference Amps - Mono and stereo Amps using al lot of 6550 - high wattage amps - which I think are not so interesting......;-))))

ATC1 (HQ) Based in some design aspects on the Marantz 7C, full function pre with MM RIAA stage and, very interesting, a RIAA output.
The output stage is designed as a kathode follower design

ATC2 (HQ) Reference Line Stage, could be made to a full function pre with the ATE1 RIAA, which gets his power from the power supply of the ATC2.
The output stage is a SRPP configuration.

ATC3 (HQ) Line Stage - shares the same basic deign as the ATC2 but with diode rectification instead of tube rectification.

ATE 2001 Ultra Reference full function pre, has a complete tube power supply in a separate compartment, and 2 Line inputs the rest is dedicates to phono, only Air Tight preamp with built in SUT´s, which is deigned by My Sonic Lab.

ATE2 The smaller version of the ATE 2001, which has not a separated power supply and only one line input - the rest is also dedicated to Phono....

ATE 2005 Stand alone phono stage which shares the same topology as the ATE2 - but without the tube power supply - it is the only Air Tight RIAA stage with a real active MC input, which uses Class A puristic transistor head amp on top of the tubed MM stage

ATH2A - Step up transformer using Hashimoto HSX capsules
ATH2A Ref. - Step Up unsing My Sonic Lab SUT technology

Carts:

Air Tight PC1 Supreme and PC1 Supreme Mono
Air Tight PC1 and PC1 Mono
Air Tight PC7 (brad new)

Speakers:
Air Tight Bonsai mini monitor systems with a single chassis driver

That is the lineup....tried to give some explanations.
As you may recognize, you can chose a lot of different power tube flavors, KT88, EL 34, 6L6/5881, 300B, 211.
And also you have 2 of the 3 techniques to get low output impedance at the output auf the preamps - kathode follower, and SRPP, what is missing is a preamp with output transformer technology.

Let´s come to my setup.

I have three different amplifier/preamplifier settings in two different rooms.
One setting is dedicated to the legendary LS3 /5a speakers - I adore them...
The other setting works with Quad ESL 57 Manfred Stein.

Here we go - some pics and some additional explanations regarding NOS tubes...

This is room one with the LS3/5a installation, you can see Air Tight ATM2, ATC1 HQ and ATH2A Step Up transformer, a highly modified Marantz CD94 with passive IV stage and Siemens Klangfilm output transformer, and a Bauer DPS III IT with Frank Schröder tonearm.

A close up of the ATM2 - fully loaded with fine NOS tubes, GEC KT88 Black Plates Triple Getter (the king of all KT88 - you cannot substitue those with new designs), Telefunken ECC83 and ECC82 Smooth Plates ans RCA 12BH7 Black Plates.
The output trannies are huge Tamura.

This is the ATM1S, an EL 34 design, here wired in triode mode and fitted with Telefunken Single Slot Plates,Double O Getter, RCA/Honeywell 12AU7 Clear Top and RCA/JRC 12AX7 Black Plates.
It is one of the very best EL 34 amplifier designs in HiFi history, the ATM1S uses Hashimoto output transformers

Bias Meter of the ATM1S - it is the attention to detail, which makes sometimes the difference....
As Miura sell the amplifiers worldwide, he stopped using NOS tubes in that time, Europe developed the stupid ROHS law - it is now forbidden to sell gear in Europe which uses parts not ROHS conform.
Since that day we users have to get the NOS stuff ourself.
If you listening to any Air Tight in a shop - you will listen to EH russia tubs, which gives you just a hint, of what will be possible, if you switch to high quality NOS glass.....

Internal view of the ATC1 HQ full function preamplifier.
You see the classic design of all the different compartments, the ATC1 HQ has 7 compartments and is using also copper to shield the different sections from each other.
The compartments are:
1. power supply
2. poti and switches
3. line stage circuit
4. line stage tubes
5. RIAA stage circuit
6. RIAA stage tubes
7. Input and output connections

Air Tight ATM4 6L6 GC design, it is possible, if you buy two of them, to switch them to mono operation.
A true classic

Internal view of the ATM4, I use here General Electric 6L6 GC Double D Side Getter Grey Plates, RCA 6CG7 Clear Top, Telefunken ECC801S

This is the ATC2 HQ line stage - I use it together with the ATM4.
The ATC2 is a tube rectified line amplifier with a tremendous flexibility, it has 2 Tape connections packed with copy and listen functions, 4 additional line inputs, 2 line outputs and uses 1X 6X4 Rectifier - here I use a GEC CV 4005 Black Plates, 2X ECC82, which are here Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7 Large Plates D/Foil Getter, and a 12AX7 - also an Amperex large D/Foil Getter tube.

Complete system with a vintage Accuphase tuner

Here we see the stand alone RIAA stage, the ATE 2005 with an internal view.
It is packed with the finest parts and also made designed with different compartments.
The complete RIAA section is mounted an a copper plate.

It is fitted with 3X Siemens Halske ECC83 Long Plates Double Getter Support MC1 tubes - very nice...

A closer look the holy GEC KT88 Black Plates of the ATM2

The ALPS RK 501 volume pot of the ATC1 HQ

ATM1S equipped here with Valvo labeled Mullard XF2 Double O Getter EL 34

Here the same tube, but with the original Mullard logo....

I hope I managed to get some of the informations about Air Tight to you guys .
Enjoy the pictures, they tell more than all my words.

Greetings from Berlin

Ekki

PS: More will follow.....;-)))))
Hi
Very interesting post, I am since 2 months owner of Air Tight ATM 1s, in Your post you mentioned:
"ATM1S EL 34 Stereo Amp, configurable to triode mode"
"This is the ATM1S, an EL 34 design, here wired in triode mode", could little bit extend this subject, how did wired to triode mode?
Thanks
Rafal
Old 05-17-2020, 01:01 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

titanic... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-19-2020, 02:15 PM

Just now catching up to the thread ‘Japanese Exotica.’ Quite the contribution questrommotor left us - a wonderful and fascinating read. Looking forward to the update!