AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > D'Agostino Audio

D'Agostino Audio Master Audio Systems

Old 09-11-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
I made my wife turn it. She wasn’t as impressed as I.

- Buck
I was gonna say something funny here, but I like my membership
Old 09-11-2018, 08:44 PM

Wow, I have lusted after these for awhile. The machining alone is something to behold, I can only imagine how they sound. Congrats!
Old 09-12-2018, 03:47 PM

Congratulations!!!

The Momentum line is something special. You will enjoy it for a long, long time.

I have been invited to hear the Relentless amps in three weeks. I'm not sure what to expect.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post

I have been invited to hear the Relentless amps in three weeks. I'm not sure what to expect.
Expect a sizable chunk of $$$ missing from your bank account. What else CAN be expected from that audition Jim?

Last edited by PHC1; 09-12-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:13 PM

Those are brilliant looking pcs.....Enjoy the music!

Congrats
Old 09-12-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Expect a sizable chunk of $$$ missing from your bank account. What else CAN be expected from that audition Jim?
Serge
The Relentless are way above any arbitrary line in the sand I have drawn for audio gear.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Serge
The Relentless are way above any arbitrary line in the sand I have drawn for audio gear.
By a factor of 10 for me Jim.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Serge
So what? Looking at your signature, I am quite sure that line has been moved over and over and over and over
Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 PM
Go Dawgs

Money will be relentlessly leaving the bank account.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-17-2018, 11:17 PM
Go Dawgs

So I've had about a week or so to get used to the D'agostino sound and It's simply stunning. The clarity and immediacy of what I'm listening to is almost beyond belief. Here's a couple of observations....

1. The Avalon Isis while fairly efficient, needs some power to control the woofers.....the MC 402 while nice just didn't perform well in this area and I knew it from the second I had the Isis in the system. The S250 (500W/CH in to a 4 ohm load) fixed this problem immediately. All muddiness and wooly bass was gone from the second it was hooked up. I also had a slightly annoying mid bass hump around the 70 to 90 Hz areas which was very easy to hear on certain recordings. With the S250.....gone.

2. System synergy.....always knew it was important but holy crap....the C2300 tube preamp is a very nice preamp, but it apparently didn't play very well with the S250. I heard a much bigger difference one the Momentum pre was placed in the chain. It was as if a veil had been lifted from the front of the speakers. Not only that, the S250 must have brought out what little noise was inherent in the C2300.....it had always been dead silent with the MC 402 but there was quite a bit of hiss and electronic tube noise for lack of better words. This also disappeared once the Momentum pre was in the chain.

3. Good vs. Poor recordings. Yes, we've all heard the audiophile characteristic of a component truly bringing out what's on a recording, good or bad. I've never heard such a difference in my own listening space. Some would say that the Mc combo smoothed out the differences which may very well be the case. With the D'agostino combo there is nowhere to hide. Poor recordings sound exactly as they should while audiophile recordings sound so pristine and perfect it's almost too hard to believe. Like I said before, the first few hours I was listening I couldn't even get through a complete song since I started laughing out loud it was so ridiculous. Analog sounds insanely better than digital BTW.

4. The Avalons are sensitive to placement. This is a characteristic of Avalons in general, but I believe that with the Dag equipment in the chain, it's almost hard to believe how slight a movement can change the tonal balance and placement of vocals and instruments in space. I took me forever to get them focused and balanced correctly. It was one of those situations where I would move them slightly and have to back the other way....it is simply amazing the way they play with the room boundaries/dimensions. I have a feeling if I could get rid of the French doors on the right side of the room that would solve many problems but I probably should quit while I'm ahead!

Those are some initial thoughts so far....it's really been an eye opener. I've heard components such as these at shows and retailers, but never in my own room, it's been an experience so far.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3