AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 08-26-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
Okay, Bart, I'm clear about why the Schneider link was added to your post now...So it seems to me that the NAD M28 should be on our list of potential multichannel amps.
I have one of them in shipment for arrival on Friday. I am excited about it.

Quote:
As for pre-pros, I've started doing a bit of reading up on the 'NAD M17 V2 Surround Sound Preamp Processor,' but one thing came to mind as soon as I zoomed in on the rear panel view: the one and only USB port back there isn't identified as being USB 3.0/C. If you've read a couple of my other threads, you'll know that we have an Apple MacBook Pro that doesn't have the latest USB transfer technology and, more to the point, that this issue creates some "hindrances" in the path toward our goals. Any thoughts on this?
Can you elucidate about this issue? I have not yet come upon it.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I have one of them in shipment for arrival on Friday. I am excited about it.

Can you elucidate about this issue? I have not yet come upon it.
As long as "elucidate" is synonymous with "clarify"...sure thing, Kal....

The rear panel view of the NAD M17 V2 that I saw, earlier today, showed (1) USB port. The fact that it's not labeled as being "USB 3.0" or "USB C" -- as it is on other units I've researched -- leads this old vet to think that said single USB port is, in fact, a USB 2.0 port/connector.

Somewhere along the line, I posted and/or read text from helpful AAF members who indicated that the older USB 2.0 transfer technology could present certain issues. Obviously, I have no way of knowing [yet] what the USB port on the rear of the NAD M17 V2 is used for, but I'm still interested in finding out. It's just one of those things...if pre-pros are being made redundant due to a lack of certain connectivity, we wouldn't want to purchase a pre-pro that's on the verge of becoming a cool-looking paperweight.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections

Last edited by 70sMac; 08-27-2020 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:54 AM
Keeping it real since '75

Quote:
The rear panel view of the NAD M17 V2 that I saw, earlier today, showed (1) USB port. The fact that it's not labeled as being "USB 3.0" or "USB C" -- as it is on other units I've researched -- leads this old vet to think that said single USB port is, in fact, a USB 2.0 port/connector.
You can download the entire M17 V2 manual from NAD's website. I took a look through it real briefly and the USB port seems to be used for all sorts of different things (although it doesnt look to be a DAC of any kind). As for what type of USB connection it has, its definitely not Type-C as its physically the wrong connector for that, but even if it were you can get an adapter to other USB standards and it will auto-downgrade. USB 3.x connectors all have blue inserts in the USB port, so once again... This is not USB 3.x.

Its most definitely a USB 2.0 port, but I dont see why that should present an issue. If you have a computer of another USB standard, you can get an adapter that will make it work as the higher standards are all backwards compatible.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM3CPO View Post
You can download the entire M17 V2 manual from NAD's website. I took a look through it real briefly and the USB port seems to be used for all sorts of different things (although it doesnt look to be a DAC of any kind). As for what type of USB connection it has, its definitely not Type-C as its physically the wrong connector for that, but even if it were you can get an adapter to other USB standards and it will auto-downgrade. USB 3.x connectors all have blue inserts in the USB port, so once again... This is not USB 3.x.

Its most definitely a USB 2.0 port, but I dont see why that should present an issue. If you have a computer of another USB standard, you can get an adapter that will make it work as the higher standards are all backwards compatible.
C3PO: First things first, I like that you've been keeping it real since '75. I was back on the farm in '75 ...and I've been trying to get back there ever since...

During these past few weeks...or months, it's all a blur...I've come to learn that audio and video, and now digital, have all melded together to form what I abbreviate as A/V/D. I mean, I started a thread back at the end 2018 asking about playing SACD on our old Mac equipment and, eventually, the discussion turned to 4K video and, further along, it turned to ripping physical media and, after that, it turned to digital. The point here is that I'm still trying to make sense out of a LOT of new information...but one thing is clear to me: connectivity is a big issue these days. This being the case, I'm looking at all inputs and outputs in a different way now. Our Mac Book Pro (MBP) has zero USB C ports, so streaming certain physical media is problematic (to put it nicely).

As we won't be getting a new MBP until [at least] Apple starts to install their own processors, that will have to wait. In the meantime, I'm trying to make sure that we get as much useable life out of anything that falls under the "digital" category as we can. Fortunately or unfortunately, however one chooses to look at it, a new pre-pro falls into that category.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 08-27-2020, 02:46 AM
Keeping it real since '75

Quote:
C3PO:In the meantime, I'm trying to make sure that we get as much useable life out of anything that falls under the "digital" category as we can. Fortunately or unfortunately, however one chooses to look at it, a new pre-pro falls into that category.
I totally get where you are coming from. I just wanted to reiterate that in the case of this particular preamp, the USB port is not of concern. All the functionality provided by its USB port is to add functionality to the preamp, meaning the things you attached to the USB port on the preamp are for accessories for the preamp (and are included). The one exception looks to be that you can install the DIRAC Live calibration software onto a computer and run the mic/calibration off a computer rather than the preamp itself. Since the supplied mic is USB, you can attached it to your computer (unless you wanted to use your own mic). Thunderbolt 3, USB Type C, USB 3.x, USB 2.0, USB 1.0 are all backwards compatible with each other. If you dont have the correct port, you just need an adapter. So there is no issue if you have an old Macbook or a new Macbook or an unreleased Macbook. They will all work... With the correct adapter.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:18 AM

Have you looked at the anthem AVM60 (processor) and the MCA525 (amp). This is the setup I use for my home theater after my research back in 17.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Somewhere along the line, I posted and/or read text from helpful AAF members who indicated that the older USB 2.0 transfer technology could present certain issues. Obviously, I have no way of knowing [yet] what the USB port on the rear of the NAD M17 V2 is used for, but I'm still interested in finding out. It's just one of those things...if pre-pros are being made redundant due to a lack of certain connectivity, we wouldn't want to purchase a pre-pro that's on the verge of becoming a cool-looking paperweight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM3CPO View Post
I have been using USB for audio connections for a number of years and have never had the need to distinguish between 3.0 and 2.0. I have used them indiscriminatively, A/B-ed them (for other reasons) and mixed them. It doesn't matter, afaik.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I have been using USB for audio connections for a number of years and have never had the need to distinguish between 3.0 and 2.0. I have used them indiscriminatively ...
Same here and have never had an issue.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:24 AM

Arrow USB 2.0 on Pre-Pros

Quote:
I have been using USB for audio connections for a number of years and have never had the need to distinguish between 3.0 and 2.0. I have used them indiscriminatively, A/B-ed them (for other reasons) and mixed them. It doesn't matter, afaik.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
Same here and have never had an issue.
Kal & Cleeds..... Thanks for the [pardon the pun] "input."

I'm happy to read that you folks have never had any issues related to the outdated USB 2.0 transfer rate. It does make one wonder, however, why some manufacturers are spending the money necessary to update to -- and feature, no less -- the newer USB transfer technology, aye?

Old 08-27-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
CLPetersen..... Although I'm a pert-time deep-southerner, it's good to get a post from someone in the vicinity. Yes, James has been very helpful, but finding some of the Bryston equipment hasn't been easy (or cheap), so your words are right on the money. I wasn't aware of ATI Tech, so I'll do a bit of digging there. Enjoy the beautiful day!
Good luck - by the way ATI Amplifier Technologies, ATI Technology is semiconductor foundry supplier, likely not what you are looking for.

The classic ATI is another bullet-proof time-tested design. Their newer N-core amps combine a traditional linear power supply with the Hypex N-core amplifier module. All come with a 7 year transferable warranty. I use the N-core version.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 08-28-2020 at 12:22 PM.