AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-21-2015, 11:30 AM

^^^^exactly.... which is what makes the 2301 an all time classic..... and i will be byuing more of them... in 50 years, mac will be re-issuing the 2301......
Old 05-23-2015, 03:00 PM

Wink mc152 and mc301...tiny nipples??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Tom.......Innovation means the introduction of something new such as an idea, method, or device, even a novelty. The current McIntosh catalog includes a variety of components that break new ground and fit this definition. McIntosh is quite innovative in designing audio products to meet the demands of modern audio enthusiasts.

Their new headphone amplifier, the MHA100, is quite innovative. There is nothing even closely resembling it in the marketplace. In addition to a highly regarded headphone amplifier the MHA100 delivers 50 watts per channel output to drive speakers. In the headphone amp market that is what I call inventive and value added thinking. The McIntosh MHP1000 headphone released this year has also received rave reviews from owners and pundits.

The McIntosh MXA60 compact Integrated Audio System with tube preamp and speakers is unique among other audio manufacturers. It is perfect for an office, study, or bedroom. The MXA60 incorporates an amplifier, preamplifier, CD player, AM/FM tuner and loudspeakers that delivers the traditional McIntosh performance in a small, easily placed system.

The newest introduction of the McIntosh D150 and MCT450 breaks new ground. The D150 digital preamplifier/DAC supports USB input up to 32-bit/384kHz signals and supports DSD64, DSD128, DXD 352.8kHz and DXD 384kHz. Two coaxial and two optical inputs accept up to 24-bit/192kHz signals. Via a DIN connector the D150 can be mated to the new McIntosh MCT450 SACD/CD transport that presents a complete digital source package. In addition, the D150 has a built in headphone amplifier.

Innovation doesn't necessarily mean a jump forward. It can also mean recognition of the past. A perfect example of this is the new McIntosh C22 analog tube preamplifier. It is a thoroughly modern and redesigned two channel vacuum tube preamplifier that pays tribute to a true McIntosh classic the original C22 manufactured between 1963 and 1972. The new C22 brings all the latest McIntosh design and performance improvements delivered in a preamplifier that exudes the essence of the original classic.

The introduction of the new space saving MC152 solid state stereo power amplifier is another example of meeting the marketplace demand. This 6 inch tall 150 watts per channel power amplifier delivers its full rated power into 2, 4 or 8 ohms and is a perfect addition for home theater amplification where space is often a major consideration. McIntosh has also introduced a mono amplifier in the 6 inch high format, the new MC301 solid state power amplifier.

McIntosh first introduced the McIntosh Sentry Monitor protection to their tube amplifiers with the introduction of the amazing MC2301 mono tube power amplifier, then included Sentry Monitor in the new MC275 tube amplifier, and now the Sentry Monitor protection circuit is included in the new reissued MC75 tube power amplifier. Although this is invisible from the outside and probably means very little to those who do not enjoy tube power amplifiers, Sentry Monitor is a huge advancement for tube power amp users who wanted the same circuit security and protection that McIntosh solid state amplifier owners have enjoyed for decades. Knowing that your tube amplifier will shut down without damage if a power tube fails is a big deal. The inclusion of Sentry Monitor in modern McIntosh tube amplifiers is the kind of innovation that pays big dividends to owners.

I am confident that McIntosh has plenty of fresh ideas that we will see in the future. With it's long history of industry leadership and innovation I believe we will be enjoying McIntosh products well into the future. If one looks back at all the amplifiers, preamplifiers, source components, and loudspeakers McIntosh has manufactured during its 65+ year history, I think I'm safe in saying I doubt there is another audio company on the planet with a component catalog that can touch what McIntosh has brought to market.

and one day those tiny nipples on the MC152 and 301 will grow into huge.....
Old 05-23-2015, 05:20 PM

Dan,
You make some great points with a view on innovation that is much broader than mine. We've seen a lot of of new gear from McIntosh that will scratch an itch for a wide variety of music lovers. I'd love to hear the headphone system sometime.
Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-23-2015, 07:31 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Dan,
You make some great points with a view on innovation that is much broader than mine. We've seen a lot of of new gear from McIntosh that will scratch an itch for a wide variety of music lovers. I'd love to hear the headphone system sometime.
Tom.......Thanks. Sometimes I think it is easy for people to look at McIntosh components and just see more of the same black glass. They've viewed this for years and think nothing new is going on in Binghamton. Even McIntosh aficionados become a bit callused after years of looking at their own gear. In many cases we have assembled an expensive and serious McIntosh system with no desire to embrace anything new so we simply brush off the press releases about new gear. Despite all that, McIntosh still manages to design, build, and deliver amazing audio components with innovation and performance levels that exceed their cost by a wide margin, especially when compared to the small catalogs of components from the boutique boys that come with stratospheric prices.

Through the years I have seen a number of friends who owned McIntosh systems lured away with big claims from other companies of better performance, more modern appearance, CNC machined cases, higher prestige, yada, yada. Then after spending boatloads of money chasing the sirens song, these same people returned to McIntosh systems with glee. One friend told me it was like coming home. I fully understood what he was saying.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 05-24-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:24 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado
Default Vancouver 2015: Hi Fi Centre and McIntosh Labs

bump
Old 05-24-2015, 07:25 AM

Do you guys think we'll ever see the MC30s back in production? They seem to be a much coveted vintage piece scoffed up by collectors and audiophiles. I'm hankering for a pair myself someday. But one step at a time as I just picked up an MC452 yesterday!
Old 05-24-2015, 07:46 AM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progfan2112 View Post
Do you guys think we'll ever see the MC30s back in production? They seem to be a much coveted vintage piece scoffed up by collectors and audiophiles. I'm hankering for a pair myself someday. But one step at a time as I just picked up an MC452 yesterday!
My guess is no. It appears to me, today's "main stream speakers" are becoming less efficient. It seems tall, multi driver speakers are popping up everywhere. JMHO.....I could be wrong. Maybe due to the advent and popularity of smaller, powerful digital amplifiers being sold? A lot of the newer column speakers are in mid/upper 80's dB range.
Congrats on the 452!

Last edited by JWJW; 05-24-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:32 AM

I actually think we're a bit lucky to get a single channel MC75. I hear a lot of folks running their MC275s in mono for the extra power. I'm guessing that if sales of the MC75 are really strong, you might see them explore lower power models; however, I don't know that the incremental revenue would be worth the costs of complicating the product line.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:47 AM

Default Sentry Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Tom.......Innovation means the introduction of something new such as an idea, method, or device, even a novelty. The current McIntosh catalog includes a variety of components that break new ground and fit this definition. McIntosh is quite innovative in designing audio products to meet the demands of modern audio enthusiasts.

Their new headphone amplifier, the MHA100, is quite innovative. There is nothing even closely resembling it in the marketplace. In addition to a highly regarded headphone amplifier the MHA100 delivers 50 watts per channel output to drive speakers. In the headphone amp market that is what I call inventive and value added thinking. The McIntosh MHP1000 headphone released this year has also received rave reviews from owners and pundits.

The McIntosh MXA60 compact Integrated Audio System with tube preamp and speakers is unique among other audio manufacturers. It is perfect for an office, study, or bedroom. The MXA60 incorporates an amplifier, preamplifier, CD player, AM/FM tuner and loudspeakers that delivers the traditional McIntosh performance in a small, easily placed system.

The newest introduction of the McIntosh D150 and MCT450 breaks new ground. The D150 digital preamplifier/DAC supports USB input up to 32-bit/384kHz signals and supports DSD64, DSD128, DXD 352.8kHz and DXD 384kHz. Two coaxial and two optical inputs accept up to 24-bit/192kHz signals. Via a DIN connector the D150 can be mated to the new McIntosh MCT450 SACD/CD transport that presents a complete digital source package. In addition, the D150 has a built in headphone amplifier.

Innovation doesn't necessarily mean a jump forward. It can also mean recognition of the past. A perfect example of this is the new McIntosh C22 analog tube preamplifier. It is a thoroughly modern and redesigned two channel vacuum tube preamplifier that pays tribute to a true McIntosh classic the original C22 manufactured between 1963 and 1972. The new C22 brings all the latest McIntosh design and performance improvements delivered in a preamplifier that exudes the essence of the original classic.

The introduction of the new space saving MC152 solid state stereo power amplifier is another example of meeting the marketplace demand. This 6 inch tall 150 watts per channel power amplifier delivers its full rated power into 2, 4 or 8 ohms and is a perfect addition for home theater amplification where space is often a major consideration. McIntosh has also introduced a mono amplifier in the 6 inch high format, the new MC301 solid state power amplifier.

McIntosh first introduced the McIntosh Sentry Monitor protection to their tube amplifiers with the introduction of the amazing MC2301 mono tube power amplifier, then included Sentry Monitor in the new MC275 tube amplifier, and now the Sentry Monitor protection circuit is included in the new reissued MC75 tube power amplifier. Although this is invisible from the outside and probably means very little to those who do not enjoy tube power amplifiers, Sentry Monitor is a huge advancement for tube power amp users who wanted the same circuit security and protection that McIntosh solid state amplifier owners have enjoyed for decades. Knowing that your tube amplifier will shut down without damage if a power tube fails is a big deal. The inclusion of Sentry Monitor in modern McIntosh tube amplifiers is the kind of innovation that pays big dividends to owners.

I am confident that McIntosh has plenty of fresh ideas that we will see in the future. With it's long history of industry leadership and innovation I believe we will be enjoying McIntosh products well into the future. If one looks back at all the amplifiers, preamplifiers, source components, and loudspeakers McIntosh has manufactured during its 65+ year history, I think I'm safe in saying I doubt there is another audio company on the planet with a component catalog that can touch what McIntosh has brought to market.
I agree with JDandy about the Sentry Monitor. I have experience collateral damage from a failed power tube in an Audio Research D70 and total destruction of a Dynaco integrated tube amp from shorted speaker leads. I am thankful my MC275 has the Sentry Monitor in the event of a tube failure or shorted speaker wires.

Last edited by jdandy; 05-24-2015 at 01:41 PM. Reason: typo correction.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:42 PM

I want one of these