AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-25-2014, 12:58 PM

I am all Audio research except for digital.
I suggest you to get a listen to Meitner Dac 1. It is a truly great piece of technology and, as far as I am concerned, is the most «analog». Not those «made in China» stuff but a proud «made in Canada».
Old 12-25-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunge View Post
I love ARC for analog, but not so much for digital. I owned a DAC7 and ayre c5xemp and have replaced both with an esoteric k03. It is the best of both worlds, world class cd playback plus USB input for use with a server. I also think the Berkeley DAC and USB would be worth checking out, it was on my list along with the dCS Debussy DAC.
Totally 100% agree. Nothing arc makes in digital can compete with the esoteric. I've had a lot of DAC's in my system doing the same thing as the original poster...no way are you going to beat it unless you spend $20k or so.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:50 PM

Oh...and do not cheap out on this. You have an amazing system that will reveal the limitations of a dac that is just "good". You need a "great" dac to go with that system. I honestly think that you'll regret it if you spend less than $5k. There may be some that I haven't heard that will surprise you, but my experience is that you need to dig deep to get a "great " dac.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcord View Post
Hello to everybody
I'm trying to set my system, I bought preamplifier REF10 amplifier REF 150 Speakers SonusFaber Ellipsa Red Violin, for sources I have a good turnplate with a pre phono and now I'm looking for a DAC and I'm definitely lost in space 😒
I'm considering AR CD9 with internal DAC but than I was thinking for what I will need a CD player if I will use liquid musics ? I will be able to rip all CDs ( and here another hard decision for what to buy for rip CDs ) and than play everythings by computer with ? DAC8 ? or another DAC I'm open to every advice and also possibility to buy a different brend for DAC
Thanks in advice for the help
I am not sure what your price range is, BUT, I would take a very serious look at the MSB Analog, which, IMHO is one of the best DACs on the market. I have its older brother but lived with it for several months and loved it. Plus it now has a new USB module that allows QUAD_DSD as well as Direct DSD in addition to all other formats as well as a renderer plug in module that allows full integration with all the resolutions of their USB module if you rather do DLNA. I owned a DAC 8 for awhile as well as tried the REFDAC and much preferred the Analog.

For CD ripping I just recommend a windows computer and dBpoweramp. It works great.

The bargain DAC of all and one of the best for the money is the Chord Hugo. However, given your rig, if you are looking in the 7-12K range, I would highly recommend the Analog.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:29 PM

Take a look at the Aesthetix Pandora Signature. It's stablemate the Romulus, just got a TAS Product of the Year Award.

There's one listed on Audiogon.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:59 PM

Thanks for all advice, definitely now I need a lot of time to spend reading reviews and listening demo. When I started life in that world I decided to spend maximum 2/3000$ for the amplifier, then I listened integrated ampli and I was close to buy the AR Vi75 however if was already out of budget. than I lissened a system with pre and final ( nagra system ) another word �� and at the end I bought the ref10. With DAC I whant feel the difference for spend more money but definitely here in Italy isn't easy make a test with DACs. I read a good reviews about Chord and Debussy but I never listen that's systems. However reading your advice looks very important the DAC too so I decided to improve my budget for that buy. Unfortunately doesn't look an easy decision ��. I hope you will go haed helping me in that have d decision
Old 12-25-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcord View Post
What do you use for rip CD ?
I use db poweramp on a windows based computer.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:33 PM

Till now I understood to erase from the buy list the AR DAC's. About the esoteric k03 is a CD reader too, so I think will be too expensive for that reason and I don't need it. So at the moment we have :

Chord Hugo
Chord QBD 76 HDSD ( that already was one of my best choose )
Bryston BDA 2 ( at the moment one of the best choice for me )
Meitner MA1
Berkeley ( I didn't understood wich models )
Lampizator
Van Alstine FET
Metrum HEX
Debussy DAC ( the other option in my first list )
Analog DAC
Aesthetics pandora signatur
Esotherics ( I have to check if they have a simple DAC )
Old 12-25-2014, 05:42 PM

For rip CDs I was looking for the NAIM unity serve
But with yours advice I will take only tha software dBpoweramp saving a lot of money to spend on DAC �� thanks Alki !
Old 12-25-2014, 07:54 PM

How about DCS Vivaldi?