AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 02-21-2019, 02:37 PM

It all starts at the wall, so put the best there and work back.
If you can afford Platinum PC's, you will be greatly rewarded.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonicus View Post
It all starts at the wall, so put the best there and work back.
If you can afford Platinum PC's, you will be greatly rewarded.
thanks for the advice, I will start like this!
Old 02-22-2019, 03:41 AM

Jim, how about an update on the duo PS1230? Should be broken in by now.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:29 AM

Thought about that when I saw this thread revive. On the list for this weekend. Short review - awesome. Just like all my accuphase stuff.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:38 PM

Thanks Dave for the reminder.

You are correct that the PS1230s (2 of them, not one) are broken in at this point. I set them up about mid-December and they've been in the rotation since that time. They replaced two PSAudio P10s, which I liked, but the P20 made me think. Then, I thought too hard, lost track of the checkbook, talked to Dan and you and others, and shit, I bought two of them.

I have not been disappointed. Right out of the box, they created a wider, deeper, quieter soundstage that simply was not there before. I loved the P10s (and, to be clear, they were a rather small fraction of the cost of the PS1230s), but there is simply no comparing them. I added the P20 to my system, but I didn't care for the size and the unit I got was not DOA, but had a terrible clicking sound that wouldn't go away (with a reset, firmware update, etc.). Not being crazy about the form factor (or having to send it back for a new one), I plunked down about four times the green for two PS1230s.

For those that know Accuphase, the 1230s don't disappoint. First of all, they're heavy - not as heavy as my A200s, but pretty darn close. Second, they're beautiful - wife actually approves of the look. If you like the brushed gold face and general Accuphase aesthetic, these are right up your alley. I love the analog read out that one can switch on or off and check various settings, meter readings for incoming voltage, etc. In fact, I'm going to get up and turn it on right now, just because it's awesome (in low light, I often turn off as many readouts as possible). The only thing I don't like about the facade is the on/off switch, which is ... dare I say it .... plastic. I was amazed when I flipped it on - it still has that great Accuphase feel in movement, but it is, after all, .... plastic. I just love the power switch on the A200s and the C3800, but this one leaves me feeling synthetic. It's OK, and by no means fatal, but come on - this is Accuphase, and I want to feel that brushed gold under every button and knob.

The rear provides 8 120v outlets that are tight as a drum - nothing flimsy there. One thing I lost as compared to the PSAudio products was the high voltage outlets that control the power surging through to the amps, but I just give a little time (about a five count) between flipping on components and all seems to be well. I have them sitting on four stillpoints (forget which ones, I can never tell them apart) and they're just quiet - like night time in the snow.

Sound quality, it is what one might expect (if one is an Accuphase fan). If the A200s had an iron grip on the TADs before, then after the 1230s, they have a titanium grip (apologies for the bad analogy, but it's all I could think of). Just damn strong sounding, but still like all of my accuphase components:

- precision, without sharpness
- smooth, without washing out
- strength, without over bearing
- touch, without too much softness
- unique classic look, without short lived novelty

Highly, highly recommended. Only issue is that I'll have one on each amp in the new room and will have to get something else to run the source components (which will hopefully be quite a distance away).

They do not disappoint. Footnote reference to the ridiculous pricing in the US, but damn I love this stuff.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:51 PM

Forgot to say, I am sure there is some synergy in combining these with other Accuphase components. It certainly made me more comfortable to buy them knowing that these would pair perfectly with my other Accuphase kit. I think they'd still do great with other components, but I will say that the likely synergy was something I anticipated, and that anticipation was borne out when I flipped them on. Frankly, it would be hard to mix this gold faced stuff with other kit if they were close to one another (from an aesthetic perspective), but I'd love a report on mixing and matching these babies with stuff from another good manufacturer.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:35 PM

Excellent review Jim! Thanks for taking the time and effort to do it.

You can get a PS530 for the rest of your components!
Old 02-23-2019, 11:07 PM

What a terrific write up and summary especially about the Accuphase sound and experience.

Last edited by Canonicus; 03-02-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:33 AM

Nice review indeed!
Thanks!
I put a ps-520 in front of my system c-2120 and p-4200, the Esoteric SACD player also benefits from the clean sound of the ps-520. Well, I think so ...
... because I am not able to compare.
I put immediately all the brand new gear (ps-520, c-2120 and p-4200) to feed my Scala Utopia v2. My dealers told me that the p-4200 does not necessarily need to go with the ps-520, but it does. The 'small' ps can handle everything, luckily.
Now, I still need to look for the best cabling for me, a new rack (actually two) are also ordered. And I think about spikes, etc.
But Audio-Nirvana is already reached.
Although the look of the Accuphase gear is ... interesting.

(YES, that black plastic button on the ps should be replaced, but there must be a technical reason. It looks to me more than a switch - were you move something - than just a button)
Old 11-08-2019, 05:07 AM

Hello Accuphase lovers!

A have a question for you: can a PS-1230 work with a pair of M-6200 + C-3850 + DP-750?
My room has 20mp and my speakers are Dynaudio Confidence C4.
I don't listen to music at very high volume.
I don't find owners manual in english for this product.
From what I understand from a japanese PS-1230 owners manual with google translate:

"Turn off the power switch of PS-1230 or the connected device.
Refer to the catalog and instruction manual of the connected load device, and the total power consumption of the load device should not exceed 1200 VA.
Select the device.
Refer to page 13 for a list of power values for the main products.
After connection, turn on the power, press 4 button, and the meter display should not exceed 1200 VA
Make sure that In addition, when a pre-main amplifier or power amplifier is connected, the sound is actually output from the speaker, The meter reading should not exceed 1200 VA.
When including loads such as power amplifiers, where power consumption varies greatly depending on volume It is recommended to use at about 800 VA when there is no signal. For large output There is a risk of exceeding 1200 VA.It is recommended to use at about 800 VA when there is no signal.For large output There is a risk of exceeding 1200 VA.
If the meter reading is 1200 VA or less, turn on / off the power switch of the unit with the connected device turned on.
can.
Since the rated capacity of PS-1230 is 1200VA, it is more than the total power consumption displayed in the catalog.
Please select a model. In particular, the pre-main amplifier and power amplifier have a large difference between W and VA.
Is necessary. For low-power models such as tuners, CD players, and preamplifiers, add power consumption (VA value).
Select the device.
● The power consumption of the pre-main amplifier and power amplifier varies depending on the size of the music output.
Refer to the display power according to the Elegance Safety Act.
The electrical power according to the Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law is a measured value at the lowest rated impedance, so it is a fairly large value.
The However, when listening at a normal volume with a speaker with an impedance of about 8Ω, the power consumption is small.
This is the value between when there is no signal. For this reason, the meter reading is 1200VA at the maximum volume when the sound is actually emitted
If it is within, it can be used.
● In case of overload exceeding the rated capacity, the 4 meter display switch button LED will flash to warn you. Ignore this
If the power becomes even higher, a circuit protector (breaker) that doubles as a power switch shuts off the power.
The In such a case, reduce the number of connected devices to 1200VA or less and turn the power switch on again."

Thank you very much in advance!