AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > News

News Local & Worldwide

Old 07-19-2013, 07:36 AM

I agree with the MF write up but I have also owned some bose noise canceling headphones which worked as advertised and sounded fine to me. I have some bose outdoor speakers which also sound fine for outside and have been trouble free surviving 8 winters without any problems. I would say there is a place for it in automobiles as well ie any place where non critical listening is happening in my mind. To get where he was, Bose had to ruffle some feathers.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:48 AM

In my younger days, I heard the Bose 901 and was not impressed at all. I usually have reservations/caution with Fremer's reviews, but basically agree with his views on the sonic aspects on this one.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEE View Post
In my younger days, I heard the Bose 901 and was not impressed at all. I usually have reservations/caution with Fremer's reviews, but basically agree with his views on the sonic aspects on this one.
Back in the mid 70's I had moved from JBL L100's to L200's to the 901 Series II. All three of these one trick ponies were short live in my system. The 901's were traded for a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's which I kept in one system or another for almost 30 years. First hearing 901's you were impressed, but that did not last long.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josquin des Prez View Post
Yes, but Apple doesn't make crap. Also, buying Apple laptops has been a lot cheaper for me than buying Dell laptops like I used to do. They last much longer, work much better, and fetch a decent price on the used market when I'm ready to retire them. So looking at the big picture, they are not so overpriced as you may think they are.

As an example, I bought an Apple MacBook Pro for $2700, used it for 3 years and sold it for $1200, still in perfect working order. My net cost was $500/year. Before that I bought a Dell Inspiron laptop for $2200, it lasted for two years, and had no resale value since it barely worked anymore. My cost for that was $1100/year. More than double the cost of the Apple.
My experience is almost identical. I spent $3900 on a Dell laptop which constantly broke down and needed warranty repairs. After the warranty expired, I ended up having to sell it "as is for part of repair only" for $200. I then spent $1800 on an Imac and it still works perfect after 7 years. Never any issues at all! Last time I checked, I could still easily get $500 for it on the used market.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgod View Post
My experience is almost identical. I spent $3900 on a Dell laptop which constantly broke down and needed warranty repairs. After the warranty expired, I ended up having to sell it "as is for part of repair only" for $200. I then spent $1800 on an Imac and it still works perfect after 7 years. Never any issues at all! Last time I checked, I could still easily get $500 for it on the used market.
Yes, one has to put things into a broader, more practical perspective. Those who like to tow that popular line of anti-Apple sentiment fail to consider total cost of ownership, reliability, and satisfaction of a product that is well-conceived and executed.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgod View Post
My experience is almost identical. I spent $3900 on a Dell laptop which constantly broke down and needed warranty repairs.
Wow. That must have been one of the first laptops made. Cutting edge technology does command a high price. Of course, being cutting edge does tend to have a few flaws, so to speak.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:39 AM

Bose has never made serious audiophile products, period. Most audiophiles know this. It should not be surprising that a company like that practices aggressive advertising and sales. I do agree with Julian, however, that right after the man's death to publish such a critical article is in bad taste.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:29 AM

Sometime back on a car forum there was a thread, "What is the one thing that would prevent you from buying the blah-blah-blah?" My answer, "A Bose sound system."
Old 07-20-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer View Post
Sometime back on a car forum there was a thread, "What is the one thing that would prevent you from buying the blah-blah-blah?" My answer, "A Bose sound system."
LOL!!! I feel the very same way. Porsche normally uses Bose but now they are starting to offer Burmester stereos which is very exciting.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:26 PM

Mikey's blog post is not surprising being the curmudgeon he is. His timing might not be the best but I agree with what he says. Monster Cable is another company that will be looked upon the same way when Noel Lee passes on.