AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:42 AM

I had a couple of Musical Fidelity DAC's that would see the HDCD layer.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:16 AM

I have an Oppo BDP-93 which decodes HDCD. More importantly, it will output the decoded HDCD signal via the SPDIF output to an external DAC.
Schiit URD CD Transport > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC > Schiit Loki Max EQ > Bryston BP-26 Preampamplifier > Schiit Vidar Power Amp > B & W 805D + JL Audio E112 subwoofers (x2); Power- Shunyata Venom 16; ADD-Powr Symphony Pro & Eau2's; Equitech Son of Q; Cabling- Wireworld IC, Synergistic Research SC, Shunyata PC.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:04 AM
Music Lover!

Used to have the Rotel RCD-1072. It did a pretty nice job.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:09 PM
Penuriophile

I can add a few more to Bob's excellent HDCD decoding product list.

Adcom GDA-700 DAC
Audio Alchemy DDE V3.0 DAC
California Audio Labs CL-10
Cary CD-306
Denon DCM-380, DCM-390, CDR-W1500, DVM-4800, DVD-5000
Toshiba SD-9200

Last edited by Audioraven; 08-14-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:19 PM

Not to be sacrilegious here but Emotiva offers 2 units that play HDCD. I've used their upper end unit and it's a keeper. They are quality built units and I know of many satisfied customers. I've used the HDCD feature on mine and it functions perfectly. Good luck with your search!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:28 PM

What phenomenal feedback. I found out that DBpoweramp has a feature to decode them...at least that’s what I read. I’m going to give it a try this weekend with my Grateful Dead HDCD collection
Old 08-14-2017, 09:41 PM

Hello PhishPhan,

I am a huge GD and Phish fan, the Baker's Dozen was sick was it not? So rare for a band to be playing the best they have ever played and at the same time having the best live sound that ever toured the face of the earth. I wish a few other bands in the genre would take note! Especially my boys from Athens.

Anyway, why do you care about HDCD?
You know its kinda a BS aspect created by Microsoft to supposedly keep up with other advances, and it was all over in 2005....twelve years ago.
Get a $500 iFi audio DAC and you'll never think about disc' of any kind ever again.
All the Baker's Dozen shows are available now at 48KHz-24bit....it all has been since they started releasing live shows 2 to 3 days after the performance.
The remastered box sets being slowly mastered and released by the Grateful Dead...via Rhino lable are all at 192KHz-24 bit....forget HDCD completely man...get on the bus!!
Since you're asking about this stuff and I see you own killer gear you're like a Mississippi half-step away from having the 1973 Wall of Sound in your living room, whenever you want it. Or Madison Square Garden from the last couple of weeks.
PM me if you'd like to hear more and need some minor assistance.....I start work in two weeks and will be unavailble for the next six months.
Cheers....blaze on!
Old 08-14-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captelee View Post
Hello PhishPhan,

I am a huge GD and Phish fan, the Baker's Dozen was sick was it not? So rare for a band to be playing the best they have ever played and at the same time having the best live sound that ever toured the face of the earth. I wish a few other bands in the genre would take note! Especially my boys from Athens.

Anyway, why do you care about HDCD?
You know its kinda a BS aspect created by Microsoft to supposedly keep up with other advances, and it was all over in 2005....twelve years ago.
Get a $500 iFi audio DAC and you'll never think about disc' of any kind ever again.
All the Baker's Dozen shows are available now at 48KHz-24bit....it all has been since they started releasing live shows 2 to 3 days after the performance.
The remastered box sets being slowly mastered and released by the Grateful Dead...via Rhino lable are all at 192KHz-24 bit....forget HDCD completely man...get on the bus!!
Since you're asking about this stuff and I see you own killer gear you're like a Mississippi half-step away from having the 1973 Wall of Sound in your living room, whenever you want it. Or Madison Square Garden from the last couple of weeks.
PM me if you'd like to hear more and need some minor assistance.....I start work in two weeks and will be unavailble for the next six months.
Cheers....blaze on!
HDCD wasn't created by Microsoft.

It was created by Pacific Microsonics, a company that made legendary AD and DA electronics used in in studios and mastering labs. Some engineers still employ their old products, despite being out of production for many, many years.
Some of the people from PM formed Berkeley Audio Design, whose Alpha DAC's are considered modern references and are regularly named in "best of" lists. Their DAC's still decode HDCD, as well.
Microsoft purchased the technology late in HDCD's life for reasons that aren't quite clear, although they were able to license the technology for use in universal dvd and blu ray players.

Also, once decoded and ripped to hard drive with dBPoweramp, you can play the file on any DAC of your choice.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 08-14-2017, 10:53 PM

Hi rnrmf1971,

Thanks for setting the record straight. I happen to use a Pacific Microsonics Model 2 (PM2) DAC in my system. I've auditioned a lot of other DACs in my system but only a very small subset have come close to matching or bettering the PM2. It's still an amazing piece.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
same one I use for my HDCD's

Come to think of it, my NAD also decodes HDCD.