AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 12-16-2019, 09:01 PM

Thanks Joe. Good luck to you as well.

I’m worried about the high end reproduction expected from a .8 series amp. Seems there’s some disagreement about how good it is next to the .5.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:01 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post

I’m worried about the high end reproduction expected from a .8 series amp. Seems there’s some disagreement about how good it is next to the .5.
My dealer knows I listen to mostly female vocals - jazz. I like my highs and mids ... The 260.8s came highly praised and you're in Class A to 34 watts. I won't sweat it for a second.

PS: I'm not saying the .8 is better than the .5s, just nuanced and that just ever so slightly. They are both very good from what I was advised by Pass ... As oldmustang on another site stated:
I’ve owned the X350.5, X250.8, and now a pair of X260.8s. I’m not familiar with the Sophia 3, but I am fairly comfortable with the house sound of the X.5 vs X.8, and the relative performance of these three similar amps.

Of the three, I like the 260.8s the best. To my ears they combine the power and control of the X350.5 with the delicacy, transparency and extension of the X.8 series update. Plus, the 260.8s bring with them a tonal saturation and midrange texture reminiscent of Pass’ all class A amplifiers.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:47 AM

Yes, I did read that. And yet one of the members here was quite clear in preferring to stick with his 250.5 precisely because he felt the high end extension and air was better.

I guess I’m being a bit of a nervous nelly, waiting for them.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:

I know a lot of folks claim to love the sonic signature of the classic .5 series. After upgrading from XA-100.5 to XA-160.8s, I definitely don't fall into that camp. The dimensionality and holographic sound, coupled with the control and finesse of these amps is simply amazing. I went in wanting more power to control my speakers merely expecting a minor improvement in sound, and came away completely blown away at just how much of a more realistic presentation I was rewarded with.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:03 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerkj View Post
I know a lot of folks claim to love the sonic signature of the classic .5 series. After upgrading from XA-100.5 to XA-160.8s, I definitely don't fall into that camp. The dimensionality and holographic sound, coupled with the control and finesse of these amps is simply amazing. I went in wanting more power to control my speakers merely expecting a minor improvement in sound, and came away completely blown away at just how much of a more realistic presentation I was rewarded with.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Thanks boilerkj !!! That's great news.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:02 PM

Thanks from me too, boilerkj. It’s interesting to me, though. With all of the superlatives associated with the .8s, I’ve yet to see one specifically stating that the high end extension, air, and sweetness is better than the equivalent .5. Everything else gets considerable press.

I know. I sound like a rabid dog.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:29 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Quote:
Thanks from me too, boilerkj. It’s interesting to me, though. With all of the superlatives associated with the .8s, I’ve yet to see one specifically stating that the high end extension, air, and sweetness is better than the equivalent .5. Everything else gets considerable press.

I know. I sound like a rabid dog.
Well they may not be better, Pass may not have changed them at all. They may just sound somewhat different because of other changes Pass did make.

I would call Pass again and get more specific with them on the issue. Tell them what kind of music you listen to and ask how each amp would impact your listening. Of course, you'll know for sure on Friday, but they will take some burn in time to sound their best.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:25 AM

Agreed Jazz Junkie.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:03 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

tonyptony,

Just found out this morning that ours appears to be looking good for Friday. Dealer may be dropping off the system in boxes tomorrow and then doing the install on Friday. So, if it happens, I'll let you know what I hear ... but it will be a while before it break in ...

We continue to consider adding another system - at least a turntable one - as well. But that's a topic for another post later on. First things first.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:23 PM

Mine are arriving on Friday as well!