AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 06-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Default Panel Color?

I’ve decided to go with GIK panels and bass traps for my media room, but am struggling with which color to pick.

The room is in dark green color, and below is the color options from GIK:

I am thinking of black. Suggestions?

3FCD8BF0-762E-4C76-BA6F-53D5A53B54F2-3142-0000029F93F1FCB2.jpeg

Last edited by jdandy; 06-08-2018 at 10:20 PM. Reason: enlarge photo
Old 06-08-2018, 10:22 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Han.......Burgundy or Coffee are most appealing to me.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-08-2018, 10:39 PM

Default Panel Color?

Are you conservative or flashy? It really comes down to your style.

For me it’s a matter of making them blend in rather than stand out (some would argue go with a color that stands out or accents something in the room). Based on green walls, I’d choose black, coffee, or hunter green.

But then again, I can imagine myself walking into a room and seeing the red on green and thinking, damn, I never would have done that but it works!

I suggest getting a roll of wrapping paper in the colors you think you might like and taping a sheet of it to your wall to get an idea of what works and what doesn’t.

Last edited by Cohibaman; 06-08-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Han.......Burgundy or Coffee are most appealing to me.

Thanks Dan. My wife prefers coffee and green, and I like black and burgundy...
Old 06-08-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Are you conservative or flashy? It really comes down to your style.

For me it’s a matter of making them blend in rather than stand out (some would argue go with a color that stands out or accents something in the room). Based on green walls, I’d choose black, coffee, or hunter green.

But then again, I can imagine myself walking into a room and seeing the red on green and thinking, damn, I never would have done that but it works!

I suggest getting a roll of wrapping paper in the colors you think you might like and taping a sheet of it to your wall to get an idea of what works and what doesn’t.

Conservative.

I also thought of the red on green effect you described Thanks, wrapping paper as a test is good idea.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:15 PM

Have you checked out their art panels? I did upgraded white material on my soffit bass traps and three custom art panels for my rear wall. Looks very good.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player
Old 06-08-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpaf76 View Post
Have you checked out their art panels? I did upgraded white material on my soffit bass traps and three custom art panels for my rear wall. Looks very good.
I use this media room purely for watching videos, so most of the time it will be completely dark. ArtPanel can look very good but will be a waste in my use case.

However, really thanks for this suggestion, because I can use several ArtPanels in my listening room, which has a blank front wall now.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Go Dawgs

Han - I ordered the corner traps from GIK in burgundy, I think they look great. Nice color.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 06-09-2018, 12:51 PM

Default Panel Color?

I think GIK uses Guildford of Maine fabrics or you can get them as an option. FR 701 is the industry standard and comes in a lot of custom colors.

At any rate take the time to get a swatch book from GIK and/or GoM to see the fabrics as they will actually appear, not how they look on your (probably) uncalibrated monitor.

Also look at color combos from designers like Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfinger. They have some great Hunter/Navy/Burgundy combos.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 06-09-2018, 01:47 PM

Just let your wife choose, that way you can spend more $$$ on equipment and you will say, “but I let you choose the Panels’ Colors, what more do you want from me?”

[emoji23]