AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 04-28-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gold View Post
Its likely a destructive room node .. piling in power will actually make it worse
Either move your listening chair to a better position or add dual subs to smooth the room and reduce nodes and peaks using a distributed bass approach
DSP eq wont work , you cant boost the null and most likely cause a ton of digital clipping trying to do so
I think Rodney is right on this. You can't fill in room nulls (or SBIR nulls, which are usually higher in frequency) with any kind of room correction. The added power also will be nulled out, and you will overload the electronics, making things worse.

I don't have much to add to what Rodney said about this. The things that typically work are moving the speakers, moving the listener, or adding subs. Acoustic treatment is unlikely to work, either, as it's almost impossible to add enough room treatment to affect a serious room null, especially as low as 75 Hz. If space and budget allow, you could try tuned absorbers.

Of course, if the couch really is sucking up 75 Hz, you might be able to improve that. So I hope for your sake that's it.

Good luck! Once you start measuring, you can be on a long (but rewarding) path.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:05 PM

Default To couch or not to couch

The video encouraged me to work with the speaker positioning more, and I got to better sq a foot further out and 3/4 foot closer to the walls. Thanks FDPK and Rodney. Nothing like the 8:5 ratio referenced (43x21). In the past sq got worse as I moved further out so I stopped (measured and heard). I didn't go enough forward to see it start improving again. Lesson learned, don’t make my mistake. That took two-three nights.

This got the 70hz null and helped with the rest. Most important, sense of stage got bigger. I don't like the look of the speakers forward, but I like the sound so will get used to the look. As stated by the experts here, treatment will only do so much. I guess it will help everyone understand priorities: dog, music, , , , maybe you.

After that I tried moving the couch as far back as I could (not sure how it got in the room) and spun it length wise just to test, the 90hz null got 6-8db better and other low frequencies a little smoother (attached), but not some of the mid. Hmmm.... I'm tired. A good journey anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45x21.jpg (22.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 45x21 couch mvd.jpg (24.1 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by kubla36; 04-28-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:07 PM

REW is a cool tool isnt it. And it's free! Try the generator tool and have it output a signal at the null frequency. Then walk around the room and notice where you hear the tone and where you don't. Usually if you get closer to the speakers 70hz will get better but then you end up with a null somewhere else. Base traps tend to help smooth this out. The higher frequency will be easier to adsorb.